What pole design hurts thumbs?

Old March 22nd 05, 04:48 AM
dk_

In article ,
Walt wrote:

TexasSkiNut wrote:
no spam wrote:
Walt wrote:

Note that going strapless is a really really bad idea if you're
skiing terrain where self arrest may be necessary.

How can you use the poles to self arrest when your hand are in the
straps?

[...]

I believe the idea is to grab the pole with your other hand near the
basket. At least, that's the technique I've used.

Even strapped in, you should be able to grab the basket of the other
pole. At least that's the theory.

I don't think so. See my last reply.

Best bet is still not to fall.

The fall wasn't part of my plan. It was a higher power (hard snow) that
made me do it.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Old March 22nd 05, 04:49 AM
dk_

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message news:LTH%d.892
I believe the idea is to grab the pole with your other hand near the
basket. At least, that's the technique I've used.

Even strapped in, you should be able to grab the basket of the other
pole. At least that's the theory.

Best bet is still not to fall.

The last time I did it, the last 5 inches of the pole broke off. But it
stopped what would have been a bad ice/bumps slide. I used those poles for
30 years.

Bob

Strapped in or not?

-Dennis

Old March 22nd 05, 03:04 PM
Armin

Bob Lee wrote:
Armin wrote:
Bob wrote:
Armin wrote:
As for it not feeling like you're getting as tight a grip,

well,
when using the strap this way you don't need to have a

death-grip on
you're handle in order to keep your hand from slipping down it

when
you put some weight on it because the strap supports your hand

and
keeps it from sliding down the handle. You can have a loose,

relaxed
hold of your poles and yet be more secure than you would be no

matter
how tight you gripped it without the strap.

If you adjust the strap properly, when used this way it holds the
hand exactly where you want it on the pole with very little grip.

The
strap does the work, not your hand.

Bob

I think that's exactly what I said, wasn't it? See the line about

"You
can have a loose, relaxed grip...".

I realize I have to be extra-clear with the folk still using floppy
cable bindings. Nice people, and they mean well, but their lips

move
when they read, if you know what I mean. ;-)

Heh. Wrong Bob. It was pretty nice of you to emphasize my point for

me, though. Thanks!

Pinna Bob

Hey, what makes you think I was talking to you? Do you always answer
when some in the crowd says "Bob"?

A.

Old March 22nd 05, 05:42 PM
Bob

"dk_" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message news:LTH%d.892
I believe the idea is to grab the pole with your other hand near the
basket. At least, that's the technique I've used.

Even strapped in, you should be able to grab the basket of the other
pole. At least that's the theory.

Best bet is still not to fall.

The last time I did it, the last 5 inches of the pole broke off. But it
stopped what would have been a bad ice/bumps slide. I used those poles

for
30 years.

Bob

Strapped in or not?

Always.

Bob

Old March 22nd 05, 05:52 PM
Bob

"dk_" wrote in message

If both hands are in the straps, and you use one hand to try and grab
above the basket and plant the pole, the one hand would be near the snow
surface, jsut above the basket and the other hand would be in the strap,
about 48" perpendicular and above the surface of the snow. If think this
would be quite a feat while accelerating down the mountain on your
stomach.

It's never failed for me. But then again, my poles are nowhere near 48"
long. But if they were, then my arms would probably be long enough to reach
it.

I went down double diamond at stevens pass one time when a ski patroller at
the top stopped me to say "if you fall down, you'll slide to the bottom".
About 1/2 way down this steep icy bump slope, someone else who had fallen
down above me took me out like a bowling pin. No warning at all. I quickly
ski pole arrested myself, and turned to watch the other guy slide all they
way to the bottom. I skied down behind him, picking up the pieces.

The ski pole arrest is very effective, and also quickly gets your skis below
you so you can use the edges to help.

Bob

Old March 22nd 05, 06:34 PM
Walt

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I think the key here was "quickly ski pole arrested myself". I've never heard
anyone say the ski pole arrest is "very effective". It worked for you in this
case and that's great. Try doing it after you've been sliding for a while and
you have some speed up. Try it in an avalanche.

An ice ax is "very effective".

Even in an avalanche?

Full body armor and an aqualung would be more like it.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 22nd 05, 07:47 PM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , Bob says...

..

I quickly
ski pole arrested myself, and turned to watch the other guy slide all they
way to the bottom. I skied down behind him, picking up the pieces.

The ski pole arrest is very effective, and also quickly gets your skis below
you so you can use the edges to help.

I think the key here was "quickly ski pole arrested myself". I've never heard
anyone say the ski pole arrest is "very effective". It worked for you in this
case and that's great. Try doing it after you've been sliding for a while and
you have some speed up. Try it in an avalanche.

An ice ax is "very effective".

IIRC Vallencant reportedly skied hairy terrain with an ice axe and pole
in each hand (must have had big hands.) In my case it sounds like a good
way to perforate my abdominal cavity, which I dislike to do.
Old March 22nd 05, 08:04 PM
Walt

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Walt says...
Kurt Knisely wrote:

... I've never heard anyone say the ski pole arrest is "very effective".
... Try doing it after you've been sliding for a while and
you have some speed up. Try it in an avalanche.

An ice ax is "very effective".

Even in an avalanche?

You remember what Conrad did on Shish?

Uh, no. I don't think I was along on that particular trip. What happened?

There have been others too who dug in
and most of the slide went past them.

Ok, I think I get the point - if you trigger a slide you might be able
to stay above it by digging in your ice axe, and that's better than
sliding along with it. I was thinking more about the poor sap standing
at the bottom watching as a large volume of snow and debris closes in on
him and valiantly holding up his trusty ice axe and saying "begone, evil
slide, I've got an axe!"

I'm not going to argue with you about avalanches, since my experience is
basically nil. OTOH, I'm probably not going to start skiing with an ice
axe either.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 22nd 05, 08:11 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you about avalanches, since my experience is
basically nil. OTOH, I'm probably not going to start skiing with an ice
axe either.

Whippets are a good compromise.

-klaus

Old March 22nd 05, 08:18 PM
Walt

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you about avalanches, since my experience is
basically nil. OTOH, I'm probably not going to start skiing with an ice
axe either.

Whippets are a good compromise.

If you say so. I'm too much of a spazz to try skiing while hopped up
on Nitrous Oxide.

--
//-Walt
//