Ski Binding Lifts?

Old October 20th 03, 04:10 AM
Mark

Default Ski Binding Lifts?

Hi all,
I've been trying to find some info on lift plates or
lifters for my bindings for extra leverage.
I realize this is aftermarket equipment, but I don't
seem to find any info about their application / use.

Thanks for any info or advice you may offer
about this type of aftermarket device.

Mark

Old October 20th 03, 02:11 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 at 04:10 GMT, Mark penned:
Hi all, I've been trying to find some info on lift plates or lifters
for my bindings for extra leverage. I realize this is aftermarket
equipment, but I don't seem to find any info about their application /
use.

Thanks for any info or advice you may offer about this type of
aftermarket device.

Mark

What sort of information are you seeking?

When I got my old skis, the ski shop put lifters on them for me. My new
skis seem to already have lifters built into the binding platform.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please

Old October 21st 03, 04:08 PM
Mark

What sort of information are you seeking?

When I got my old skis, the ski shop put lifters on them for me. My new
skis seem to already have lifters built into the binding platform.

Hi Monique, and thank you for replying!

I'm trying to find out about lifts in general:
i.e.: where to buy them online, what a typical thickness
might be for an improving intermediate recreational skier
wanting to enhance carving leverage. Also disadvantages as
well as advantages, reviews, etc.

The Atomic Beta Ride 8.2 comes stock
from the factory with a 25.5 mm lift. Many new skis
have lifts built into the ski platform and Volkls' integrated
Motion System rails constitute a lift.

My equipment's only about 2 years old and I'm not
really interested in dumping it for the "latest and greatest"
yet, but I would like to upgrade it at reasonable cost.

My bindings are Marker M 6.2 Logic 2.

My skis are Elan X Carve 3.0, somewhere around the
2000 to 2001 model year range.

I'm trying to find the correct way to approach this upgrade
in a safe manner.

Your thoughts and input are much appreciated.

Mark

Old October 21st 03, 05:05 PM
lal_truckee

lal_truckee wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
I've been trying to find some info on lift plates or
lifters

CLIP

Lift/dampening plates have about died out on the market since most
binding companies have discovered they can charge $50 bucks for some
cheap molded plastic.

Followup - I see Stockli still carries VIST Stinflex plates -
http://www.stockli.com/vist/

Old October 21st 03, 05:34 PM
lal_truckee

"Mark" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
I've been trying to find some info on lift plates or
lifters for my bindings for extra leverage.
I realize this is aftermarket equipment, but I don't
seem to find any info about their application / use.

Thanks for any info or advice you may offer
about this type of aftermarket device.

Lifter plates were first developed as vibration dampening plates (with
layers of rubber embedded below the plate. The DerbyFlex plate is the
classic example. The DerbyFlex lives on as the D-Flex plate. For way
more than you ever wanted to know about dampening/lifter plate
behavior try http://dora.eeap.cwru.edu/gcc/mech_ms/Masters_thesis.pdf

Lift/dampening plates have about died out on the market since most
binding companies have discovered they can charge $50 bucks for some
cheap molded plastic. If you look around you might be able to find a
D-Flex; Rossignol also sold a plate a few years ago - I haven't seen
either recently. These plates included slotted guides so the ski
flexed separately from the plate/binding - not just a simple plate.
You might try online shops that specialize in racing, but neither
Reliable Racing Supply or Michel Pratte Sport list plates any more.

As well as having owned various plates including D-Flex and Rossi
branded plates, I've made plates that I sawed from thick sheet
plastic. The trick is getting proper length binding screws.
Manufactured plates like the D-Flex are screwed to the ski and the
binding screwed to the aluminum top plate - a solid system. When you
make a plate from plastic you have to mount through the plastic into
the skis. I made screws the proper length from stainless steel, cut
and ground to length carefully adding the thickness of the plastic to
each separate screw. You could try making your own if you can't find a
commercial plate.

Old October 21st 03, 06:53 PM
Robert Swindells

lal_truckee wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
I've been trying to find some info on lift plates or
lifters

CLIP

Lift/dampening plates have about died out on the market since most
binding companies have discovered they can charge $50 bucks for some
cheap molded plastic.

Followup - I see Stockli still carries VIST Stinflex plates -
http://www.stockli.com/vist/

Rossignol supply their race skis with VIST lifters now instead of their
own brand plates.

The OP sounded to be after something more like the EPS or EPS2 lifters
than a full blown race plate.

Robert Swindells

Old October 22nd 03, 02:11 AM
ant

lal_truckee wrote:
As well as having owned various plates including D-Flex and Rossi
branded plates, I've made plates that I sawed from thick sheet
plastic. The trick is getting proper length binding screws.
Manufactured plates like the D-Flex are screwed to the ski and the
binding screwed to the aluminum top plate - a solid system. When you
make a plate from plastic you have to mount through the plastic into
the skis. I made screws the proper length from stainless steel, cut
and ground to length carefully adding the thickness of the plastic to
each separate screw. You could try making your own if you can't find a
commercial plate.

Someone who used to post here reckoned he just used that thick white stuff
they make cheap breadboards out of. He just saw it or use a hot knife to cut
out the shape he wanted, and then screw it on in the usual way.

ant

Old October 22nd 03, 03:30 AM
Mark

Thanks for all the information folks.
I contacted Marker and they said they have
a few lift plates left for my 6.2 Logic 2 binding.
But as most of you stated, the newer skis come
with a lifted platform already.

Thanks again!
Mark

Ski lifts, falling on my arse and Hemsedal Max European Ski Resorts 7 March 21st 04 04:31 PM
flow binding warning [email protected] Snowboarding 8 February 18th 04 03:04 PM
can only ride with my back binding loose - why? Dmitry Snowboarding 8 December 12th 03 01:25 AM
Binding Lifts Mark Alpine Skiing 0 October 19th 03 08:35 AM
Pilot binding system -- what's the point? Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 August 14th 03 03:28 PM