when to upgrade?

Old October 21st 05, 05:42 AM
roxbury

Default when to upgrade?

My current setup is about 5 years old, its a 99 morrow master 169, with
old, old flow bindings. Now i decided to splurge a little already and
have ordered a pair of new flow pro-11 bindings which should be worlds
better than my current ones, so Im wondering now whether i should just
throw in the extra money for a new board as well. My board is still in
good shape, but im wondering if in these last 5 years have snowboards
actually improved in design enough to justify a new purchase.

Old October 21st 05, 12:03 PM
Slaughterhouse

"roxbury" wrote in message
ups.com...
My current setup is about 5 years old, its a 99 morrow master 169, with
old, old flow bindings. Now i decided to splurge a little already and
have ordered a pair of new flow pro-11 bindings which should be worlds
better than my current ones, so Im wondering now whether i should just
throw in the extra money for a new board as well. My board is still in
good shape, but im wondering if in these last 5 years have snowboards
actually improved in design enough to justify a new purchase.

I still ride a Gnu board from 1997. It is so stiff that you still hold your
edge if you lean back on the board. I love it and I baby it. I also own a
2004 Head Ignition, which seems a lot more technical, and the ride feels
different and it's about half the weight. I keep the Gnu at work for lunch
breaks and take the Head at night, weekends and to the mountains.

Old October 21st 05, 12:41 PM
Memascii

Slaughterhouse wrote:
I keep the Gnu at work for lunch breaks and take
the Head at night, weekends and to the mountains.

I think I hate you.....

:-)

Iain.

Old October 21st 05, 07:06 PM
lonerider

roxbury wrote:
My current setup is about 5 years old, its a 99 morrow master 169, with
old, old flow bindings. Now i decided to splurge a little already and
have ordered a pair of new flow pro-11 bindings which should be worlds
better than my current ones, so Im wondering now whether i should just
throw in the extra money for a new board as well. My board is still in
good shape, but im wondering if in these last 5 years have snowboards
actually improved in design enough to justify a new purchase.

I think 5 years and/or around 120 days is a good time to starting
looking for a new board as now only will the boards have improved a
little bit in the past five years, but your board will slowly lose it's
snap and camber over time - especially since I believe the 1998-2001
Morrows were foam cores, which tend to loosen up a lot quicker than
wood cores (at least that was the belief). However, you should just let
your feet decide. Switch boards with your friends for a few runs, demo
some boards at the mountains or check out the free demos by donek
(www.donek.com) or prior (www.priorsnowboards.com) and see if you can
noticeable a positive difference.

Old October 22nd 05, 12:43 AM
Slaughterhouse

"Memascii" wrote in message
oups.com...
Slaughterhouse wrote:
I keep the Gnu at work for lunch breaks and take
the Head at night, weekends and to the mountains.

I think I hate you.....

:-)

Iain.

Sorry, guess I shouldn't mention that winter lasts about 8 months here in
Edmonton...lol!

Old October 22nd 05, 06:55 PM
bri719

yes :-] hope this helps.

bri

--
* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD to reply

Old October 22nd 05, 06:56 PM
bri719

you beat me to it!

bri

Memascii wrote:

I think I hate you.....

:-)

Iain.

--
* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD to reply

Board Upgrade??? Bob Badger Snowboarding 3 October 1st 05 03:58 PM
first upgrade Mike Snowboarding 13 January 14th 05 12:29 AM
Need to upgrade my 9 year old gear! Any suggestions would be appreciated. G19 Snowboarding 2 March 15th 04 12:09 AM