A few non-FAQ's

Old October 6th 05, 09:23 AM
Alastair

Default A few non-FAQ's

Hi all,

With the winter season drawing in and trying to keep a lid on my
excitement as I sit at my desk in work and trying not to get too bored
I have a formulated a few questions to try and get some conversation
going on this newsgroup and also answer somethings I have been
wondering for the past few weeks.

1. I was recently reading an article which was posted on this newsgroup
regarding repairing snowboards (http://expn.go.com/snb/s/tunest.html),
it got me thinking of different types of cores within snowboards and
was wondering if anyone had any links to the the different types and
there advantages/disadvantages (I am a geek at heart really :-)?

2. I was on Natives.co.uk looking at ski/snowboard technician courses
(http://www.natives.co.uk/skijobs/skitech/index.htm), has anyone here
been on this course, if so how good is it?

3. What are the chances of getting a job in a ski resort in Europe with
the course mentioned in the previous point?

4. Last year when I was in Chamonix, I managed to break my digital
camera when I was taking video clips of me and my friends snowboarding
(obviously not the cleverest thing but I have learned my lesson), I was
considering buying a camcorder to take this time and was wondering if
anyone has had any experience with this and any recommendations for
purchases?

That is all I can think of at the moment, any replies links etc. would
be much appreciated.

P.S. There is snow in them thar alps
(http://www.chamonet.com/webcam_pan.php) still a bit bare tho :-)

Old October 6th 05, 11:32 AM
Switters

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:23:55 GMT, "Alastair"
allegedly wrote:

4. Last year when I was in Chamonix, I managed to break my digital
camera when I was taking video clips of me and my friends snowboarding
(obviously not the cleverest thing but I have learned my lesson), I was
considering buying a camcorder to take this time and was wondering if
anyone has had any experience with this and any recommendations for
purchases?

I take my DVcam on every trip I go to. I've also recently started taking
a normal digital camera. I've not managed to break anything so far. If
you go to my website (below) and follow the links to the Russian
Heliboarding trip, there's a link to a trailer for the video I'm making of
the trip.

Recommendation wise, it depends on what you are going to be filming and
how you're going to do it. A bigger camcorder will provide you with
stability when filming, but takes longer to pull out of your pack. A
small camcorder is easier to access but you can then suffer from picture
shake even with any "steady-shot" mode turned on. If you're close to the
action this is less of a problem. With either though, you could use a
tripod, but again that takes time to set up.

Then do you want to edit on a computer or just copy to DVD?

Consider these and perhaps ask on uk.rec.video.digital (assuming you're in
the UK), and you should get some opinions there.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old October 7th 05, 03:57 AM
Slaughterhouse

Ok, as far as repairing bases are concerned, can you use repair candles on
sintered bases or just extruded?

Old October 10th 05, 09:09 AM
Alastair

I have used the repair candles once, but I am pretty sure I didn't do
it right :-)