Orland Bartholomew in USA Today

Old April 16th 04, 02:00 PM
Sunshine McGillicutty

Default Orland Bartholomew in USA Today

Saw an excellent article in USA Today, on the east coast, about Orland's
1928 ski traverse of the High Sierra. His son is leading an effort to
have a mountain near the Minarets named for him, Mount Bartholomew. I
was impressed, they interviewed the son, Gene Rose, the guy who
published the book High Odyssey, about the trip and they interviewed a
modern party that repeated the journey ala Doug Robinsin and Carl
whathisnamefromMammoth.

Anyway, this was on Tuesday. It was an AP article. I looked on the USA
website two days later but couldn't find it.

Anyway, for such an unknown and mysterious person, decades ahead of his
time, a stunningly self sufficient ski mountaineer, to get a column and
a half above and below the fold... I was so pleased I laughed out loud.

Cheers
DMT

Old April 16th 04, 06:02 PM
Bob Lee

Sunshine McGillicutty said:

Saw an excellent article in USA Today, on the east coast, about Orland's
1928 ski traverse of the High Sierra. [...]

Thanks for the heads-up, Dingus. Great article. Most of us modern-day
backcountry skiers are total pussies compared to guys like him.

Anyway, this was on Tuesday. It was an AP article. I looked on the USA
website two days later but couldn't find it.

Google, it's the answer for everything:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ed...nd+bartholomew

Bob
Old April 16th 04, 11:03 PM
lal_truckee

Bob Lee wrote:
Sunshine McGillicutty said:

Saw an excellent article in USA Today, on the east coast, about Orland's
1928 ski traverse of the High Sierra. [...]

Thanks for the heads-up, Dingus. Great article. Most of us modern-day
backcountry skiers are total pussies compared to guys like him.

Anyway, this was on Tuesday. It was an AP article. I looked on the USA
website two days later but couldn't find it.

Google, it's the answer for everything:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ed...nd+bartholomew

Who's this Art Baggett guy trying to claim a first repeat of the
Bartholomew traverse? I thought Doug Robinson did it decades ago?
Old April 16th 04, 11:44 PM
Dingus Milktoast

Yeah, he did it with the son of the dude who owns Mammoth Mountain. Can't
remember his name.

DMT

Old April 17th 04, 12:00 AM
Rico X. Partay

Son, Fans Seek Recognition for Skier Brian Melley

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. - Escaping avalanches, enduring
blizzards and surviving an entire winter skiing the rugged Sierra
crest, Orland Bartholomew made history 75 years ago - scoring the
first winter ascent of Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the
United States at the time.

The 14-week journey that ended April 3, 1929, was an early feat of
ski mountaineering at a time when skiing was in its infancy in
North America and climbing in the Sierra Nevada was a warm weather
pursuit. But hardly anyone noticed. No record was kept at the park
of his arrival, and his 300-mile adventure remains nearly as
little-known today as it was when he finished.

Now Bartholomew's son, a group of avid skiers and some history
buffs are working to resurrect the memory of his trek by naming a
peak for him in the mountains that were his home until he died in
1957.

"There's so many other people who were never in the Sierra, others
who did next to nothing to get their names on a peak," said Gene
Rose, author of "High Odyssey," a book chronicling improbable
trek. "It's really almost tragic that history has almost bypassed
this great Sierra icon."

------

Do you think Gene Rose really wrote a book? I mean, a guy who
doesn't understand the concept of subject-verb agreement?

;-)

Old April 17th 04, 12:35 AM
lal_truckee

Dingus Milktoast wrote:

Yeah, he did it with the son of the dude who owns Mammoth Mountain. Can't
remember his name.

McCoy.