Big ski bag on a flight?

Old February 24th 04, 12:16 PM
simon...

Default Big ski bag on a flight?

Do you have experience of checking in skis in a large bag, the one
that holds 3-4 pairs?
I called continental, and rules customer rep told me that 2 pairs per
bag is their maximum. But she won't be the one checking in my skis...

So, what do you think are my chances to get away with 3 pairs in a
large ski bag without paying extra?

Thank you,
simon..

Old February 24th 04, 07:38 PM
WES PEARSON

If I'm not mistaken it will cost you an extra $70 if they check your bag
and find an extra pair. I believe you get to take a boot bag and a ski
bag as one item. Alot depends on the airline and the mood of employees.
You might be better off with more padding then more skis. Ever watch
then load your ski bag!!! It looks something like the discus throw. They
also post all the baggage regulations on their web site. Make a copy
and take it along in case anyone challenges you on it.

--
Wes Pearson
* Why Yes! I am a real Helicopter Pilot!!! *

Old February 25th 04, 12:37 AM
JQ

"simon..." wrote in message
m...
Do you have experience of checking in skis in a large bag, the one
that holds 3-4 pairs?
I called continental, and rules customer rep told me that 2 pairs per
bag is their maximum. But she won't be the one checking in my skis...

So, what do you think are my chances to get away with 3 pairs in a
large ski bag without paying extra?

Thank you,
simon..

They are much tougher now after the 9-11 thing. They will open your bag and
check it for content, if it is a soft bag and light you may get lucky and
get away with it but not with three sets of skis. If it is a hard case
double you'll get hit with additional fees could be cheaper to send it by
private carrier. By the way do not put a lock on your bag, they will either
cut it off or refuse to accept it. But by the time you find out they are
not accepting it you may already be boarding the plane or when you arrive at
your final destination find out that they did not send it. Be careful!

JQ
Dancing on edge

Old February 25th 04, 02:53 AM
john.riedel

"simon..." wrote in message
m...
Do you have experience of checking in skis in a large bag, the one
that holds 3-4 pairs?
I called continental, and rules customer rep told me that 2 pairs per
bag is their maximum. But she won't be the one checking in my skis...

So, what do you think are my chances to get away with 3 pairs in a
large ski bag without paying extra?

Thank you,
simon..

Most airline's baggage rules allow ONE set of poles, skis, bindings, and
boots per passenger.
The ski bag / box is over the max size limit, but is allowed at no extra
cost.
Technically, if anything else is in the bag / box, it can be charged as
oversize luggage.
Two sets of equipment can be packed together, but only if two passengers are
traveling together.

One thing that gets no exemption is weight, 50 lbs is the max allowed for
checked luggage.

Naturally, everything is subject to interpretation, and application, by the
people at the airport.

Old February 26th 04, 02:30 PM
john.riedel

"JQ" wrote in message

"simon..." wrote in message
m...
[...]

The people opening your bags are TSA, not airline. They don't care what
you packed, or how much, as long as it is not on their list of dangerous or
illegal items. They also put a polite little note in your bag before they
close
it again. My double ski-tube has been opened, both ways, on every trip it
has been on.

The airline people will only check in your presence. If you are outside the
baggage regs, they want your money NOW, not an unhappy customer
when you get where you are going. Actually, my experience has been that
the airline people really want to help you, and will suggest whatever they
can to get you within the regs.

By the way, there is now a TSA approved lock available. All TSA
inspectors supposedly have a master key, so they can open it, but the
general public cannot.

John

Old February 26th 04, 03:04 PM
JQ

"john.riedel" wrote in message

"JQ" wrote in message

"simon..." wrote in message
m...
[...]

Not my experience, I had a boot bag that was returned to me. I was at the
waiting gate area and was called back to retrieve my bag. It had been
opened but not pulled apart. I had my boots plus everything you could
possible stuff inside the boots and all around the boots. Instead of going
back through the check in line I took it with me.

I had also called two different airlines that I was traveling on and they
both told me that a double ski hard case would cost additional and not go as
a single even if a single set of skis were in side! Now as you had
mentioned it would have a lot to do with the baggage handlers or check in
counter whether the bag would get pulled or not.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 27th 04, 01:17 AM
john.riedel

"JQ" wrote in message

SNIP

Not my experience, I had a boot bag that was returned to me. I was at the
waiting gate area and was called back to retrieve my bag. It had been
opened but not pulled apart. I had my boots plus everything you could
possible stuff inside the boots and all around the boots. Instead of

going
back through the check in line I took it with me.

Why was your boot bag returned to you?
They must have given you a reason.
Had you checked too many bags ?
If it was too heavy to check, it was too heavy to carry on, ditto for size.
If there was anything illegal in it, you surely couldn't carry it on.

Regardless of the reason, the concern originally stated was that the luggage
would be left behind, and that didn't happen to you.

I had also called two different airlines that I was traveling on and they
both told me that a double ski hard case would cost additional and not go

as
a single even if a single set of skis were in side! Now as you had
mentioned it would have a lot to do with the baggage handlers or check in
counter whether the bag would get pulled or not.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I only use a double case when two of us are traveling together.
The rules, as I stated, are specific that each passenger is allowed ONE set
of gear.
Two can be packed together, but only if two passengers are traveling
together.

Old February 27th 04, 02:01 AM
JQ

(snip)

Why was your boot bag returned to you?
They must have given you a reason.
Had you checked too many bags ?
If it was too heavy to check, it was too heavy to carry on, ditto for

size.
If there was anything illegal in it, you surely couldn't carry it on.

Regardless of the reason, the concern originally stated was that the

luggage
would be left behind, and that didn't happen to you.

I only use a double case when two of us are traveling together.
The rules, as I stated, are specific that each passenger is allowed ONE

set
of gear.
Two can be packed together, but only if two passengers are traveling
together.

They only told me that it couldn't be checked in and to take it to the
counter for check in.
It was a curb side check in at Philly. I didn't have the time to wait in
the long line so that is why I carried it on.
The only thing I could figure was, it was too difficult to remove everything
and then put it back. I almost didn't hear them announce my name over the
intercom. I think they only called my name once if more than once I only
recognized the last call, I had to move pretty quickly to get the bag and
get back as they were loading the plane when I got back. Yes, they will
allow a double hard case for two passengers.

JQ
Dancing on the edge