light boot covers to protect boots while learning to roller ski

Old April 29th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default light boot covers to protect boots while learning to roller ski

Can anyone recommend LIGHT boot covers to cover my new Salomon RS
Carbon boots to protect them while learning to roller ski? Several
roller ski buddies told me that the first few weeks on roller skis
could destroy my boots and recommended I cover them. Since I'll be
learning in warmer May/June weather, can anyone recommend a boot cover
that is not particularly warm or windproof so it won't be stifling in
spring NE weather.

A neighbor and member of our rec.skiing.nordic, recommended these
bicycle shoe covers below. Not bad, except that they are dark and are
still designed for warmth and wind resistance. Hoped someone may have
seen something else that would work that's even lighter (and perhaps
light colored so as not to absorb sunlight). Even plain cloth would
work. Heck, I may even ask my local seamstress to sew light white
cotton covers (who cares how dirty they get).

Previous bicycle shoe cover suggestions:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=5&minor=5

Old April 29th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

My personal bias would be to go get some used or beater ski boots to
use for dedicated roller skiing (or best case use an old pair of your
own, trickling down the old snow pair). You will feel a lot better
when you scratch them up or get them dirty. Covers might keep them
cleaner but still think they will experience faster wear and won't be
as exciting to get them onto snow next winter. Also think any cover
will make the boots hotter than they already are in the summer.

But guessing you probably already thought through this route already.
Am curious how the covers work for you.

Old April 29th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

I have used these:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=FC7800
(Defeet)

Interesting that long ago Torbjorn Karlson sold and distributed many
varities of booties to use when rollerskiing. This was pre-skating and boots
weren't as clunky.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

ups.com...

Old April 29th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba

mountainwalker wrote:
Can anyone recommend LIGHT boot covers to cover my new Salomon RS
Carbon boots to protect them while learning to roller ski?

Can someone define just what problem is likely to hit his new boots when on roll skis.
Old April 29th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

"dardruba" wrote in message
mountainwalker wrote:
Can anyone recommend LIGHT boot covers to cover my new Salomon RS
Carbon boots to protect them while learning to roller ski?

Can someone define just what problem is likely to hit his new boots when
on roll skis.

In 30 years of roller skiing I can count the number times I have fallen on
one hand. Two of those times where on brand new boots. They no longer looked
new after the falls.
Last week I fell roller skiing down a hill on a dirt road that I had no
business on.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old April 29th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

- Falling is big but minor concern (hopefully not happening a lot).
Will scuff up the boots.
- Boots will get dirty and grimmy, depending on how clean the road is.
- Worst is probably if you rollerski in the rain or in wet road
conditions. Then the boots will get really dirty. Fenders help some
but still will get mud/dirt on the boots
- Sweat a lot more in the summer so boots absorb that.

I don't think there are any huge structural concerns. I broke the back
plastic support brace on my rollerski pair but don't think it is
related to snow vs. road use.

Probably more mental for me but given how dirty and sweaty my
rollerski boots get, I would have a really hard time starting with a
new pair. When I have purchased a new snow pair, I throw out my old
rollerski boots and replace with my old snow boots. So a few year
cycle and I don't feel bad about the condition of my rollerski boots.

Old April 30th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

On Apr 29, 4:12 pm, wrote:
[...]

I found Defeet light cordura stretch shoe covers (cycling) that Steve
and Gary had suggested in White, which should make them much cooler in
summer. I'd love to have another pair of boots, or an older pair of
boots to use for roller skiing, especially ones I could drill
ventilation holes in, but that's a more expensive proposition than $14
shoe covers. These are happily the first pair of skate boots I own,
so I don't have an older pair to use. Thanks for the very helpful
suggestions.

Old April 30th 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 28 Apr 2007 20:22:55 -0700, mountainwalker
wrote:

Can anyone recommend LIGHT boot covers to cover my new Salomon RS
Carbon boots to protect them while learning to roller ski? Several
roller ski buddies told me that the first few weeks on roller skis
could destroy my boots and recommended I cover them. Since I'll be
learning in warmer May/June weather, can anyone recommend a boot cover
that is not particularly warm or windproof so it won't be stifling in
spring NE weather.

I'll be this place could make you a pair custom for cheap.

www.youngoriginals.com
--
JT
****************************
Old June 5th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I don't think spending money for boot covers for this purpose is a
good investment. I recommend you put duct tape coating on the high-
scuff areas. It's a lot cheaper than any off-the-shelf option, won't
add a lot of unwanted insulation, and the fashion statement you will
make is hard to beat!

Jon

Skate Boot Covers? andy Nordic Skiing 15 January 7th 07 10:57 PM
Boots for roller skiing Larry Nordic Skiing 8 May 17th 06 04:17 PM
To Protect and Serve... that'll be $4,177.87 vern93 Alpine Skiing 2 March 4th 05 03:01 PM
light and loose/fit skate boots Lars Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 05 09:56 PM
FS: Summer Roller Ski Boots Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 0 August 12th 03 10:09 AM