Socks for alpine skiing

Old February 5th 04, 04:10 PM
lal_truckee

Kneale Brownson wrote:

I liked them so much I bought two dozen pairs.

Aha! That reminds me of another reason I like the polypro ultra-thin
liner socks - you don't need many pairs, since you can wash them in the
sink and they dry in about 10 minutes at room tempurature. Makes
traveling easier.

I still say if you have room for thick or padded socks, your boots don't
fit perfectly.

Old February 5th 04, 09:26 PM
Armin

lal_truckee wrote in message ...
Kneale Brownson wrote:

I still say if you have room for thick or padded socks, your boots don't
fit perfectly.

So tell me, since the ski boot liner is made of some fairly thick
padding, what difference is it going make if you wear a heavy wool
sock instead of a super thin sock inside it? Especially when the boot
gets to be a couple of years old and starts to pack out a bit. Seems
to me the thick sock is just taking up space that the boot liner used
to occupy.

Armin

Old February 5th 04, 10:22 PM
lal_truckee

Kneale Brownson wrote:

I still say if you have room for thick or padded socks, your boots don't
fit perfectly.

So tell me, since the ski boot liner is made of some fairly thick
padding, what difference is it going make if you wear a heavy wool
sock instead of a super thin sock inside it? Especially when the boot
gets to be a couple of years old and starts to pack out a bit. Seems
to me the thick sock is just taking up space that the boot liner used
to occupy.

My boot's inner is thin and firm, and gives just enough to avoid
bruising; I also happen to have the right size feet so I'm in the
thinner liner. (Recall that many boot companies try to get two foot
sizes in each shell size by using two different liners for each shell
size - pity the poor souls with the smaller feet who get stuck with the
thicker, pillowy, inner boots.)

So your boot has "fairly thick padding?" What brand is it?

Old February 6th 04, 07:02 PM
Armin

lal_truckee wrote in message ...

My boot's inner is thin and firm, and gives just enough to avoid
bruising; I also happen to have the right size feet so I'm in the
thinner liner. (Recall that many boot companies try to get two foot
sizes in each shell size by using two different liners for each shell
size - pity the poor souls with the smaller feet who get stuck with the
thicker, pillowy, inner boots.)

I have a size 8.5 foot and when I check the shell/liner size of my
boots it seems I'm usualy in the "poor soul" catagory. I kinda like it
though cause I don't mind the extra paading around my bony feet.

So your boot has "fairly thick padding?" What brand is it?

My current Alpine boot (for lift served) is a 5-year old Tyrolia.
Can't remember the model. They were injected with something or other.
Mostly yellow with a bit of red and grey and have "Racing" and "nFT"
or "nTF" written on them if that helps any.

My AT boots are Nordica TR9's. They're getting worn out so I'm
thinking of getting some Scarpa Denali's. Tried a pair on the other
day and they seemed pretty cushy as well.

BTW, I like thick socks in my skates as well. Maybe it's just my bony
feet.
:-)

Armin

Old February 8th 04, 12:49 AM
Fred

bdubya wrote in message . ..

What you want is a nice, thin, snug-fitting wool sock, none of this
synthetic silliness, and no sock-liners. (I'm fond of Smartwool
myself, but that's a matter of personal preference).

bw

I agree with bdubya. I like the Smartwool so much I bought six pair.

And if your wife has difficulty with uncomfortable boots you may have
her try the soft style. My wife recently gave up on her own
uncomfortable boots and rented some Rossignol soft boots and loved
them.

Fred

Old February 9th 04, 03:53 PM
Armin

(John Red-Horse) wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote:

My AT boots are Nordica TR9's. They're getting worn out so I'm
thinking of getting some Scarpa Denali's. Tried a pair on the other
day and they seemed pretty cushy as well.

Hey Armin,

At your advancing stage of life (*snicker*), you may want the option of
going with Dynafit bindings, the Denali won't accommodate these. I don't
know why that is the case.

Not many boots accomodate the Dynafit bindings. My old TR9's do but it
appears the new Nordica AT boots don't. I have toured with a number of
people who use the Dynafit but I've never really liked them for a
number of reasons.

Also, I meant to mention that the folks at Telemark-Pyrenees sell bucket
loads of Atomic skis. Why not shoot them an email for some free
consulting on the ski/binding question you had this week. Don't feel
guilty about not buying skis there, I've already done that for you.

Good advice, John, thank-you. However, it's too late. I've had a
change in plans. I decided to go with a dedicated Alpine rig again,
mostly because I have a fairly new AT setup that I'm very happy with
(Rossi Bandit XX/Fritschi Titanal II). After at first thinking that I
could probably ski the Atomics with Freeeride bindings both for
lift-served and backcountry touring, and save myself the expense of
having dedicated rigs for each, I've reconsidered and had the Atomics
mounted up with a Tyrolia downhill binding. The ski shop owner assured
me that there would be no waranty problems. He's never lied to me
before, so I'll trust him on it. ;-)

The main reason for the decision is that I want the performance,
durability and safety edge a dedicated alpine rig has over even the
beefiest AT rig... both in the boots and the bindings. But you're
right, I'm getting older, and one day soon the performance issue won't
be as important and I'll probably switch to a single AT setup for both
types of skiing.

I skied my new Atomics R:EX's this past weekend and they are
hands-down my favourite skis ever. Quick, responsive, hold a great
edge on hard-pack, steady and predicable in crud and effortless in
powder. Got them in a 184 after test driving some 170's and 177's as
well as the 184's. The 184's won the contest hands-down. The shorter
skis worked well on the groomers and crud, but in the bumps and the
powder the 184's were the clear winners... for me anyway. YMMV.

Of course there is a bad side to liking them so much. I'm now starting
to think about selling the Rossi XX's (even thought I quite like them
as well) and getting a second pair of R:Ex's with Titanal II's on them
for touring.

I just have to figure out how to break the news to Holly. ;-)

Armin

Old February 10th 04, 02:32 AM
klaus

Armin wrote:
I'm getting older, and one day soon the performance issue won't
be as important and I'll probably switch to a single AT setup for both
types of skiing.

Come-on. Go all the way... You know you want to.

I just have to figure out how to break the news to Holly. ;-)

She'll understand.

-kaus

Old February 10th 04, 03:51 PM
Armin

klaus wrote in message ...
Armin wrote:
I'm getting older, and one day soon the performance issue won't
be as important and I'll probably switch to a single AT setup for both
types of skiing.

Come-on. Go all the way... You know you want to.

Ah, the lure of the Dark Side. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
;-)

I now have a set of Kharu Extremes w/ Voile bindings that have been
collecting dust in my basement for the last ten years. I'd be willing
part with them for a nominal fee.

Armin

Old February 10th 04, 04:18 PM
klaus

Armin wrote:
klaus wrote in message ...

Come-on. Go all the way... You know you want to.

Ah, the lure of the Dark Side. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
;-)

I now have a set of Kharu Extremes w/ Voile bindings that have been
collecting dust in my basement for the last ten years. I'd be willing
part with them for a nominal fee.

Ok.. how much would you pay me to take them?

-klaus

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
skiing without socks? Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 4 February 4th 04 10:14 AM