Pepsi Challenge--The Course Won

Old January 28th 05, 05:09 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Default Pepsi Challenge--The Course Won

It was pretty interesting to read Nathan's story about the Pepsi
Challenge. I usually think that the winner of a race probably felt
pretty good that day. Nathan makes it sound like everyone felt lousey,
he just happened to feel a little less lousey.

Just as a little background, the Pepsi had a good 12" of new snow the
night before the race, and the groomer started grooming at 3 am after
it stopped snowing. That left just enough time for the top layer of
snow to harden _slightly_.

I raced the first lap with Lat Lorenz. The key word here is raced. The
leaders were pretty good about not tearing up the soft course except on
the uphills, and Pat was doing a good job at not sinking in. I was
having more problems with floating across the top of the snow so while
Pat was V2'ing, I was v1'ing. After a lap, I thought I felt pretty
good.

I stopped for my feed (which surprised my wife, aka coach, because
usually I never stop). Then I followed a big skier from Eau Claire
(Ryan Hebert) into the Silver Trail. As the steep climbs of the Silver
started, I could feel my legs were tight, so I just shut er down, and
did the coach's waddle (single sticking) up the hills. I've seen this
movie, tight legs, cramping legs, really hurtin', etc. So I just took
it easy trying to change what seemed to be certain cramping.

Freddy Keefer came by, "Hey Freddy," "How you feelin Jay." "Legs are
tight." "Need something to eat," "Nah, I'm fine," and off he went.
After the Silver I slurped down my second flask of Gu and drank. This
brought me to another stop. Just down the trail Clarke offered a drink
and I turned him down.

Up the Cedar four water spiders caught Ryan and I, and they must have
tied a 50 bucket of dry wall compound to Ryan, because he went
backwards real fast. It was impressive that a guy the size of a
linebacker lasted that long in the soft foot of snow.

Across the golf course I got another offer for a feed from my wife
"Nah, I'm ok, legs are tight." She and Pete Moran were yelling to get
on the group, but the four water spiders were now dropping me on the
Gold Trail. There's a point on the Gold were the trail splits, left up
the climb, and right down the climb. I hit that spot and my legs
stopped moving. I stood there wondering if I should pack it in and call
it a good workout. Nope, quitting sucks, so I kept skiing with the
intention of taking it as easy as possible...a nice warm down.

After 3 or 4 more stops, drinking water, checking out the wind
direction, checking out photo possibilties, I was at the top of the
gold and completely out of gas. Boy, it was stupid to pass up all the
food, but man, I'm 5 Gu's into this race already. Anyway, two Gatoraids
and a water from the last feed and I'm off for the final 4 km. One more
km down the trail I'm again stopped wondering if I should go back to
the last stop and have them get me off the hill. I was starting to get
seriously cold. 500 ft more and I'm on a long downhill, and only 1-2 km
left to go.

Just before the finish, I just about caught Freddy. Julie yells out
"Come on Jay!" and Fred thinks, "Oh no, the old man is gonna catch me"
and he picks up the pieces and starts going. I didn't catch him.

It was an epic battle and the course won. Most post race stories were
bragging about the biggest bonk.

Jay Wenner

Old February 7th 05, 12:29 PM
Mark

It was an epic battle and the course won. Most post race stories were
bragging about the biggest bonk.

OOOER !!!