Visit to Denver

Old March 15th 04, 05:56 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

Default Visit to Denver

I'm going to be in Denver next weekend, through Tuesday Afternoon, and
would like to get one day of skiing in, if possible. Any suggestions?
Anyone also going to be there, who would like to go along?
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old March 15th 04, 06:57 PM
Chris Crawford

Ken - Would love to go but contretemps forbid it. However I would
recommend Devil's Thumb Ranch near Frasier if you like big open fields
or the Breckenridge Nordic Center if you like more technical terrain.
Unfortunately there has been no new snow recently (some is called for
tonight). Both locations open at 9 and are within 1 hour 30 minutes of
downtown Denver.

Chris

Old March 15th 04, 07:44 PM
Jeff Potter

Chris Crawford wrote:

Ken - Would love to go but contretemps forbid it. However I would
recommend Devil's Thumb Ranch near Frasier if you like big open fields
or the Breckenridge Nordic Center if you like more technical terrain.
Unfortunately there has been no new snow recently (some is called for
tonight). Both locations open at 9 and are within 1 hour 30 minutes of
downtown Denver.

What about Snow Mt?

How are the XC centers out there these days? I'm having the worry that some
are getting chopped up with recent condoification.

Is the Breck center getting hemmed in much? --Still, I think they added a
whole new territory higher up the mt. (That Gene is one resourceful guy!
Just meeting him would be a good reason to visit Breck. Actually, you don't
meet him, you tag along in his wake for awhile. He's always moving and
appreciates having extra hands around which all get recruited. The cell ph
was invented with him in mind. Especially the on-ear hands-free kind. I'm
sure he's on the phone while he skis.) And he's an old Minnesotan from Ely!

I'd think that touring the public Frickenridge Trail or Boreas Pass
railroad grade would both be great things, too, on different sides of the
Breck valley---time em to catch the sun right. Maybe do all 3 places
in/near Breck. And even catch Frisco XC! If one wasn't KO'ed by the
altitude maybe one could do them all in a day at cruising pace.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 16th 04, 01:37 AM
Teresa

Snow Mountain Ranch is the best! But I guess I am biased since I
lived in Grand County for awhile, learned to ski at Snow Mtn and met
my husband there (the instructor for my first lesson). Now that we
live in St Paul, Snow Mtn is the #1 place for our vacation time.

Snow Mtn is doing very well. The new nordic director has done a great
job in the last two years. I can't recall his name but according to
Mark Birdseye (YMCA program director) he came from Alaska where he had
a running store so he has developed the addition of a very impressive
retail shop at the nordic center. Also, the grooming is much improved
over a few years ago! There is now a cafe in the upstairs of the
nordic building which serves hot food and snacks at reasonable prices
from early morning until the end of the day. Always good snow and 90
km of great trails for all levels at Snow Mtn. We would still be
skiing in May/June on Blue Ridge. There are lots of good skiers and
racers who are regulars and go up from the front range every weekend
or have second homes up there or have retired there just so they can
ski at Snow Mtn all the time.

I miss it every time I look out my window and see the bare ground.
Teresa
Old March 16th 04, 07:00 PM
levi

In article ,
(Teresa) wrote:

[...]

I didn't see the inital post, I thought highly of the Nordic Center
near Breckinridge a few years ago. I thought the terrain and views
were much better. Snow Mountain would have to really go some to get
anywhere near as good grooming.
Old March 16th 04, 07:28 PM
Jeff Potter

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but for a couple winters, for a
couple hundred days a year, I'd get up at 4 am, groom a few hours at Breck,
then XC ski a few hours, then tele ski a few hours then stay out on the town
til closing, lived in a hallway on a nest of my own clothes. Whew! Kids!

BNC used to have a loop that went from town out 5 miles to a ranch then 10
miles around that. Grooming that system was fun. It was grooming in the
wilderness, basically. Elk and coyote everywhere. Steaming poops in the
trail. The connector loop was called Squirrel, as I recall. I remember once
getting off the trail with the Skidoo and tracksetter (didn't use the Cat
out there) and plunging kit and kabootle down a hillside thru the avalanchy
snow and trees til I got to the next switchback down of that trail.

Ski trails with switchbacks in em are SO COOL.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 17th 04, 01:40 AM
GeeDub

(Kenneth Salzberg) wrote in message line.edu...
I'm going to be in Denver next weekend, through Tuesday Afternoon, and
would like to get one day of skiing in, if possible. Any suggestions?
Anyone also going to be there, who would like to go along?
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg

Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Ken,

Here's a native Nordic skier point of view regarding skinny skiing in
the Centennial State.

The two best places in Colorado for Nordic: Snow Mountain Ranch and
Devil's Thumb (95k and 100k respectfully). Snow Mountain has made a
remarkable turnaround under the guidance of its new Nordic Director.
The grooming is as good, if not better then any other center in the
state and the skiing options are first-rate. Devil's Thumb, currently
undergoing a transformation into a full-blown destination resort with
construction of a new lodge and accommodations, has had some trail
access changes, but still offers excellent tracks.

On a related matter, both areas are hosting the upcoming Colorado
International Spring Series from March 27th-April
(
www.springseries.com). The races will include citizen categories and
the chance to ski with World Cup level races. Nathan Shultz is the
prime mover behind the series.

Let me offer some clarification regarding skiing in Breckenridge.
Breckenridge is now home to two municipally run Nordic Centers:
Breckenridge Nordic and Gold Run Nordic. Breckenridge Nordic is not
what it once was due to heavy residential construction. Gold Run
Nordic is nice, but limited since it uses a golf course for 95% of its
trails. Neither center has comparable terrain or the snow
(particularly this year).

Greg Wright
Lakewood, CO