Tai Chi Skiing

Old June 14th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

Default Tai Chi Skiing

On Jun 14, 1:33 pm, taichiskiing
wrote:
snip

Oh Just shut the **** up. Nobody buys this crap and nobody is going to
bother to pay $150 to a shyster **** like you. **** Off.

Old June 14th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:
When I first posted my skiing clips on the 'net, some people has asked
me if I learned the skiing from John Clendenin,

(SNIP)
Guess all high level skiing merge in the end.

I think that' what some of us have been saying all along,
without the need to reinvent the language.

(snip)
Old June 14th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"VtSkier" wrote in message
taichiskiing wrote:
When I first posted my skiing clips on the 'net, some people has
asked
me if I learned the skiing from John Clendenin,

(SNIP)
Guess all high level skiing merge in the end.

I think that' what some of us have been saying all along,
without the need to reinvent the language.

I'm not sure that avoiding the use of the edges that god gave you
could be considered "high level skiing".

Sking with minimal edging has its use. To consider it the proper way
to ski is a little silly.

Ski designers have made big efforts to increase the capabilities and
effectiveness of edges, making skis more manuverable and easier to
ski. What for?

Bob

Old June 14th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"taichiskiing" wrote in message
ps.com...
When I first posted my skiing clips on the 'net, some people has
asked
me if I learned the skiing from John Clendenin, because the bashing
tone, so I snapped back, John Clendenin who? No, I never met the
guy.

Another case of people trying to help you getting snapped at because
you were too closed minded to see how they were helping.

Run across a link to his Aspen Method site the other day, (but I
believe it is down for the moment,)
http://www.aspenmethod.com/ski_instr...our_words.html,
and interesting to find there are some similarity in our views in
skiing, the following overview is what I lift from his page, and see
how we compare.

"Overview

At Camp with the Camps, we first introduce the concept of drifting
on
soft edges."

That's my "slipping edges," if I'm not mistaken, given the "similar"
meaning in "drifting" and "slipping." "Slipping edges" produces
"slipping turns."

Sounds more like skidded turns to me. If I understand your previous
statements, you consider slipping and skidding to be opposite things.

Actually, it is the first time I read a description of how to use
the
edges (the direction of the edging force is given) instead of just
the
term "edging" in the whole skiing industry.

"We learn to control our speed with turn shape avoiding the hard
ridges and troughs."

Yes, that's the "line-skiing."

Sounds more like turning to keep your speed down. Your "line-skiing"
is using the bare minimum or turns to go fast from what you've said
before.

"While drifting we find early centering on the uphill foot (little
toe
edge)."

My "inside ski turn," partially.

Just equalizing weight on the skis for skided turns.

"We use the pole touch to cue tipping and committing our center of
mass to our new intended drift (momentum). Pole touch is most
functional when our torso is facing and connected with our path of
momentum."

Oops, no "pole touch," nevertheless, square the torso to facing the
fall-line before the turn serves the same function.

The "path of momentum" is in the direction of travel, not the fall
line.

"General debunking of mogul myths, or what we look for in
all-mountain
skiing:

We encourage a stance that is as narrow as functionally possible."

Ok, feet together.

"We look for hands held comfortably in front of the torso (as if
holding a breakfast tray); not way in front or with hands held up
(with poles in a vertical position)."

Without poles, I hold my hands high, like holding a [big] picture
frame to view the scene in front of me. When properly executed, the
"scene" should not change much, even when traveling sideways.

Most of the pictures I've seen, you have your arms straight out to the
side.

"We encourage a tall stance in the boot; not pressing or resting
against the tongue of the boot."

I stand tall in the boot, push the shins against the tongue of the
boot, and push the boot to move/control the front part of the ski
and
tip. And I "lean" on the tongue of the boot to rest my legs.

So, not what they're teaching. But pretty standard taught technique.

"Initially we encourage finding early balance on The up-hill ski;
not
relying and hanging onto the big toe edge of the downhill ski
(unless
for an Intended weighted release)."

Again, "early weight transfer," to "inside ski turn."

Or perhaps, "little toe, big toe" turn initiation sequence, or just
staying balanced on both skis rather than weighting only the downhill
ski. Standard teaching.

"We teach ski snow contact with avalement, absorbing terrain with
the
whole body."

Right, absorb and extend through the moguls.

That's pretty standard teaching technique.

"We encourage soft, that is progressive, edge awareness; not hard
(or
habitual) edges."

Yah, use edges only as needed--flatboarding.

Or, don't make sudden edge changes, even though you are using the
edges hard.

"We use our four movements concept to create awareness of accurate
syntax. For example; "re-balance" not "weight shift"; edges defined
as
big toe edge of downhill ski and the little toe edge of the up-hill
ski; NOT left or right or inside/outside.

"re-balance" not "weight shift"? Are they not the same?

That's hard to say.

Though John Clendenin and I may use different languages to describe
our skiing methods, but given the similarities mentioned above, we
do
ski quite the same. Guess all high level skiing merge in the end.

If you can consider the goal of not using the capabilities of your
skis as "high level skiing".

Nevertheless, didn't find the link to his skiing videos to really
see
how he skis, anybody got the link?

That would be interesting to compare.

Bob

Old June 14th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 14, 10:42 am, VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
When I first posted my skiing clips on the 'net, some people
has asked me if I learned the skiing from John Clendenin,

(SNIP)
Guess all high level skiing merge in the end.

I think that' what some of us have been saying all along,
without the need to reinvent the language.

Not really, I do think he/John Clendenin is using a language that is
different from PSIA counter part; if he didn't invent the new term
"drifting" edges, then I didn't invent "slipping" edges.

There's no "official" skiing language, and there's no fixed ways/
expression in skiing neither. When the old terms worn out their
meanings, new terms are brought in for refreshment, nevertheless, in
essence, they are still talking about the same thing--the actions of
the skis and how the skiers relate to them--so why not it's a
"different expression" instead of "reinvention"; kind of limiting
yourself in a fixed thinking, no?

"All high level skiing [technique] merge in line-skiing [in the end],"
I should say.

'later,
IS

(snip)

Old June 14th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:
[...]

No indeed. Bob F beat around the bushes a bit to say
essentially "edges are a skier's best friend." I concur.

'later,
IS

(snip)

You are right, of course, Clendenin does try and reinvent the
language, but you do too. That, is exactly my point.

By the way, if you are *leaning* against your boot tongues,
you won't get a slipping turn as we have previously defined
it. You'll skid (heels) everytime.
Old June 14th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Methinks that google lost this post again, (now I kind of know).

taichiskiing wrote:
When I first posted my skiing clips on the 'net, some people
has asked me if I learned the skiing from John Clendenin,

(snip)

You are right, of course, Clendenin does try and reinvent the
language, but you do too. That, is exactly my point.

No, if there're no terms as "drifting edges" or "slipping edges"
exists before, then they are not a "reinvention" but "invention." They
are two different functions of "edging": a "slipping edge" is an edge
"slips" away from where it contacts the snow, and a "carving edge"
"carves" into the snow. The term "drifting edges"/"slipping edge"
describes an edge function that is never mentioned on the 'net, which
I figure it must cover whole ski industry, then they must be "new." So
is "slipping turn."

By the way, if you are *leaning* against your boot tongues,
you won't get a slipping turn as we have previously defined
it. You'll skid (heels) everytime.

Not really, with no weight on my heels, there's no way I can skid. The
purpose of I "lean"/push the boot tongues is to reduce the weight/
pressure on my heels (the steeper the hill, the higher heels lift);
with the nose heavy, I slip, while in turn, it becomes "slipping
turn." And this fore-and-aft weight shifting is another new way to
maneuver the skis developed in flatboarding--weight forward (i.e. push
the boot tongues) to slip, weight back to skid, and neutral to carve.

New clip, short turns,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRYWt8Gx60

Have fun,
IS

Old June 14th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

taichiskiing wrote:
[...]

Are you *ever* going to show a post of you skiing something difficult?

That was a green or at most a very greenish blue run and you couldn't
control your speed *there*!

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old June 14th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

taichiskiing wrote:
When I first posted my skiing clips on the 'net, some people
has asked me if I learned the skiing from John Clendenin,

(snip)

Oops, snipped,

"All high level skiing [technique] merge in line-skiing [in the end],"
I should say.

No indeed. Bob F beat around the bushes a bit to say
essentially "edges are a skier's best friend." I concur.

We "line-skiers" lean on the "turn shape" and terrain as the best
resolution for all mountain skiing.

Gotta go,
IS

Old June 14th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Alan Baker" wrote in message

New clip, short turns,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRYWt8Gx60

Have fun,
IS

Are you *ever* going to show a post of you skiing something
difficult?

That was a green or at most a very greenish blue run and you
couldn't
control your speed *there*!

Now that clip was just what I skied like when I had those rummage sale
skis from my brother in the 70's with the screw-on edges. Then I got
the head 720's and had to learn how to ski.

Bob