Driving in Austria and Germany

Old November 28th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

Default Driving in Austria and Germany

Hi

I was told that for driving in Austria I will need a sticker (for
autobahn)
Is it the same for Germany ?

I am going to drive daily form Innsbruck to the following destinations

Kuhtai Glacier
Stubaier Glacier
Ischgl
Solden
Arlber St Anton

I will do this for skiing. I have a few questions:

-What currency am I supposed to have with me ?
-For those of you who went there ...what are the supplimentary charges
applied for a VISA or Mastercard transaction (my account is not in the
local currency) . I am not happy to travel with a lot of cash with me.
-Where can I buy the stickers for Germany and Austria and for how much
(if you know)
-How much would be to rent complete set for skiing (boots, poles,
skiis) ?

Any recommendations for driving eating and skiing for these
destinations would be much appreciated. I would also like to know if
the parking is OK for these destinations. Are there any fee for parking
?

Old November 28th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Markku Grönroos

kirjoitti
legroups.com...
Hi

I was told that for driving in Austria I will need a sticker (for
autobahn)
Is it the same for Germany ?

For Germany tax is imposed only for heavy vehicles like trucks.

I will do this for skiing. I have a few questions:

-What currency am I supposed to have with me ?

Euros.

Old November 28th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
tile

ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

pls note that in Germany there are NORMALLY no speed limits on Autobahnen..
so if you want to experience driving a car at 250 kms.. you might do it.

you will have to buy a sticke in Austria.. they havea different cost
depending on how long they are valid for..
I think the minimum is one week / 10 days.. the maximum one year

besides. you will need to pay extra charges in tunnels or bridges ( i think
there are 6 such locations where you pay extra money in Austria. )

I would not risk travelling without a sticker in Austria..
if they check. and you are without..
you will pay huge money..

Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere
being visa and mustercard the most commonly accepted
without any surcharge.
ATM machines are also everywhere

Old November 28th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Wolfgang May

In rec.travel.europe wrote:
Hi

I was told that for driving in Austria I will need a sticker (for
autobahn)

yes.

Is it the same for Germany ?

no.

I am going to drive daily form Innsbruck to the following destinations

Kuhtai Glacier
Stubaier Glacier
Ischgl
Solden
Arlber St Anton

You need the sticker only for the motorway. For the above places, it
makes sense to buy it (motorway to the Arlberg area).

If you rent a car, I would expect that it has such a sticker (called "Pickerl"
in Austria). If you go there with your own car, care that in Austria
it is mandatory to have a "Warnweste" (I don't know the english word ...
a orange cloth to wear in case of an accident) in the car. (probably
also for a rental car, check where it is).

-For those of you who went there ...what are the supplimentary charges
applied for a VISA or Mastercard transaction (my account is not in the
local currency) .

Depends on the bank that issued the card. Locally there are usually
no charges.

If you are an EU citizen, probably there is no supplementary charge
at all (but I assume you aren't).

-Where can I buy the stickers for Germany and Austria and for how much
(if you know)

No motorway fee/sticker for Germany

Austria: at the border when you enter, or at petrol stations.
For the Warnweste: it's extremely expensive at the border - buy it
before or in a supermarket or a do-it-yourself-store.

Any recommendations for driving eating and skiing for these
destinations would be much appreciated.

Skiing: everywhere in this area. Eating also, but probably quite expensive
in the skiing areas.

I would also like to know if
the parking is OK for these destinations. Are there any fee for parking?

Most probably: yes. And not really cheap
Sometimes it may be better to go by train from Innsbruck (to the Arlberg)
and rent skiing equipment there.

Wolfgang

Old November 28th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti
t...

pls note that in Germany there are NORMALLY no speed limits on
Autobahnen.. so if you want to experience driving a car at 250 kms.. you
might do it.

This is right. However, it is equally normal that a motorway section is
bound to a speed limit. And when Germans come to their senses, speed limits
are set for all the roads. And it would be insane to drive 250km/h on public
roads anyways.

Old November 28th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

tile wrote:

Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere
being visa and mustercard the most commonly accepted
without any surcharge.
ATM machines are also everywhere

Yep.

And pick pockets are everywhere, watching the ATM machines for clueless
tourists who stow their wallet in easy access pockets after filling it
with cash. Split up your IDs and credit cards into two stashes kept in
different places/pockets.
Old November 28th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Markku Grönroos

"Jens Arne Maennig" kirjoitti
lal_truckee wrote:
tile wrote:

ATM machines are also everywhere

Yep.

And pick pockets are everywhere, watching the ATM machines for clueless
tourists who stow their wallet in easy access pockets after filling it
with cash.

In nearly 30 years of using ATMs in Germany and Austria, I have't seen
any of those dangerous pickpockets.

I guess that's the whole idea..

Old November 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
tim\(yet another new home\)

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
. ..

"tile" kirjoitti
t...

pls note that in Germany there are NORMALLY no speed limits on
Autobahnen.. so if you want to experience driving a car at 250 kms.. you
might do it.

This is right. However, it is equally normal that a motorway section is
bound to a speed limit. And when Germans come to their senses, speed
limits are set for all the roads. And it would be insane to drive 250km/h
on public roads anyways.

especially on the A8.

tim

Old November 28th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
tim\(yet another new home\)

"Jens Arne Maennig" wrote in message
Wolfgang May wrote:

"Warnweste" (I don't know the english word ...

European legislation (EN 471) refers to it as a warning vest. :-)

the real english name for it is tabard, but the average man
in the street probably doesn't know this either.

tim

Jens

Old November 28th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
coolblock

This post reminds me of a episode I had back in 1990 in Austria.I
crossed the Austrian border about midnight and there wqs nobody at the
crossing,it looked totally deserted.Anyway a couple days later I was
driving on the autobahn and I happened into an area that actually had a
speed limit and naturally I was exceeeding it and a nice policeman
pulled me over.He spoke almost no English and right away he could tell
I was clueless.He finally made me understand I needed a "sticker"...not
a problem I gave him 30 or 40 US dollars and he waved me on and never
bothered with the speeding infraction