Useful reading for RSA Republicans

Old July 28th 03, 04:14 AM
scottabe

Default Useful reading for RSA Republicans

in article , Richard Walsh
at wrote on 7/25/03 8:01 PM:

lal_truckee wrote in bfnb7s$fdh7g$1@ID-
90251.news.uni-berlin.de:

Mike Speegle wrote:
In news:lal_truckee typed:

Mike Speegle wrote:

In news:Chuck typed:

Nope. Not a snowboarder. I was under the incorrect notion that L.
Ron Hubbard and his "Church of Scientology" was the new name for
Christian Scientism. As Pigo has already stated, both are made up.

L. Ron Hibbard's Scientology is based on a crappy sci-fi novel
and designed to get as much money from the "believers" as possible
and has nothing to do with a deity or religion.

Hold on now - I find the Scientologists to be as loony as they come -
but tell me again why a religion designed to separate "believers" from
their money is in any sense different from every other religion
extant?
ObSki: At least Ullr and Skadi stand for something: the deep and
steep.

Becaus eScientology was created only for that reason. The story is
old, but at an SF Worldcon, while sitting around the table playing cards
with a number of other SF writers the question was asked (paraphrased)
"What would you do to get rich?" When they got around the table to
Hubbard, his answer was "Create a new religion."

While many religions love that money, the CofS was created
*exclusively* for the money. There is no belief or deity at all. Just
some old alien race that created man, blah, blah... And if you give
enough money, they'll let you read the book the the CofS is based on.
Mightly expensive book, all in all. ;-)

I know all that - Heinlein is said to have been at the session ...
Still - I believe ALL religions result in essense from some caveman
sitting around the fire figuring out an easier way to live - let the
other guys go out and bring home the meat; he'll stay at home and pray.
Or the equivalent. Claiming (or even Believing) in one or more diety
doesn't change the basic scam. (BTW, some believers have opted out of
the scam, thereby proving something or other c.f. St Francis, or
Siddartha. The rest seem quite content with gold hats and fine robes.

So - what do you think of my invocations of Ullr and Skadi? - ski gods
are after all vital to a ski group, and I'm trying to work up a deal
wherein all who post are required to send Ullr and Skadi offerings of
skis and boots and helicopter rides, which of course must filter through
me to be acceptable to said Ullr and Skadi. And I'm sincere - a true
believer in the Steep and Deep. All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.

your invocations to Ullr and Skadi, I liked the part about
libate.

I would happily join your religion, it's as good as any other,
and certainly more near and dear than some of the other stuff
going around. Though I'm not sure that offerings of heli rides
and that other stuff would make it to your doorstep.

As for religion as we know it, not shamanism and/or other
tribal type religions.

IMO, religion came in with civilization and totalitarian
agriculture as a means to keeping the peons tied to the
fields through fear of retribution in the afterlive or, if
you are good, reward in the hereafter. This carrot/stick
approach to behavior modification was something that
government alone couldn't manage simply with rules and laws.

BTW,a question. Did I pick up that wonderful
"Foreign Policy that a Child can Understand" here?
If so, where did it come from. A friend thinks it's
absolutley great and would like to know its source.

RW

Clue time. All religions condemn threatening people's lives, defaming and
lying, stalking and just being an asshole. No surprise the core members of
rsa have no faith or affiliation: their only God is their own narcissistic
needs, they only worship the bottle.
Shame these amoral psychopaths also don't realize that religion came in to
help people become decent, ethical, moral, and honorable. Since none of
these jerks have the slightest measure of those qualities, the carrot/stick
behavior modification is all that will work.

Old July 28th 03, 07:29 PM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , lal_truckee says...
..

And I'm sincere - a true
believer in the Steep and Deep. All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.

I don't know about the other stuff, but yes, All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.
(and Ortovox and Pieps)

I knew I'd get a first beep out of you ...