A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Converting race files for TV viewing



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 29th 10, 08:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

BasilBrush seems to be using a different format for his files this
year: .mp4 with a resolution of 832x468. The Philips DVD player hooked
to my HDTV doesn't support this codec or that resolution via a straight
conversion to an .avi file. I've been experimenting with video
converters for this purpose and found a few good free choices and ways
of doing it (not all converters do a good job, even when theoretically
they should):

- convert to .wmv or mpeg at 640x480 or 720x480 - this gives the same
quality full screen video, but the file sizes are three to four times
the original - Pazera's MP4-to-AVI converter does MPEG and is fast; FVD
Suite (fairly fast) and Super (much slower) are good for both formats

- convert to mpeg via NTSC-SVCD or NTSC-VCD - these produce very
watchable full screen video though with slightly reduced clarity; the
advantage is file sizes are only a bit bigger than the originals -
I use Pazera's for this

- convert to DivX or Xvid .avi at 640x480 - this gives very good
quality, but shows on TV formatted slightly smaller than a 16x9, i.e.,
with a border all around (not just top and bottom); expanding it to
full screen still looks acceptably good

Pazera's - http://www.pazera-software.com/products/
FVD Suite - http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/fvd-suite/
Super - http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Other ideas?

Gene
Ads
  #2  
Old November 29th 10, 08:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

Should mention that I use a USB stick to avoid having to mess with
CD/DVDs.

Gene


On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:03:02 -0700
wrote:

BasilBrush seems to be using a different format for his files this
year: .mp4 with a resolution of 832x468. The Philips DVD player hooked
to my HDTV doesn't support this codec or that resolution via a
straight conversion to an .avi file. I've been experimenting with
video converters for this purpose and found a few good free choices
and ways of doing it (not all converters do a good job, even when
theoretically they should):

- convert to .wmv or mpeg at 640x480 or 720x480 - this gives the same
quality full screen video, but the file sizes are three to four times
the original - Pazera's MP4-to-AVI converter does MPEG and is fast;
FVD Suite (fairly fast) and Super (much slower) are good for both
formats

- convert to mpeg via NTSC-SVCD or NTSC-VCD - these produce very
watchable full screen video though with slightly reduced clarity; the
advantage is file sizes are only a bit bigger than the originals -
I use Pazera's for this

- convert to DivX or Xvid .avi at 640x480 - this gives very good
quality, but shows on TV formatted slightly smaller than a 16x9, i.e.,
with a border all around (not just top and bottom); expanding it to
full screen still looks acceptably good

Pazera's -
http://www.pazera-software.com/products/
FVD Suite - http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/fvd-suite/
Super - http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Other ideas?

Gene

  #3  
Old November 30th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 54
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

Could you please post the URL for the videos? It sounds like these can finally
be played directly on my computer (using apple video player).

Thanks.

Ben

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:06:16 -0700, wrote:

Should mention that I use a USB stick to avoid having to mess with
CD/DVDs.

Gene


On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:03:02 -0700
wrote:

BasilBrush seems to be using a different format for his files this
year: .mp4 with a resolution of 832x468. The Philips DVD player hooked
to my HDTV doesn't support this codec or that resolution via a
straight conversion to an .avi file. I've been experimenting with
video converters for this purpose and found a few good free choices
and ways of doing it (not all converters do a good job, even when
theoretically they should):

- convert to .wmv or mpeg at 640x480 or 720x480 - this gives the same
quality full screen video, but the file sizes are three to four times
the original - Pazera's MP4-to-AVI converter does MPEG and is fast;
FVD Suite (fairly fast) and Super (much slower) are good for both
formats

- convert to mpeg via NTSC-SVCD or NTSC-VCD - these produce very
watchable full screen video though with slightly reduced clarity; the
advantage is file sizes are only a bit bigger than the originals -
I use Pazera's for this

- convert to DivX or Xvid .avi at 640x480 - this gives very good
quality, but shows on TV formatted slightly smaller than a 16x9, i.e.,
with a border all around (not just top and bottom); expanding it to
full screen still looks acceptably good

Pazera's -
http://www.pazera-software.com/products/
FVD Suite - http://www.flashvideodownloader.org/fvd-suite/
Super - http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Other ideas?

Gene


  #4  
Old November 30th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

go to pirate bay and look up fis world cup



On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:32:55 -0500
Ben Kaufman wrote:

Could you please post the URL for the videos? It sounds like these
can finally be played directly on my computer (using apple video
player).

Thanks.

  #6  
Old November 30th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

You have dial up? They download very quickly, typically 2-3 hrs max on
a decent cable connection, at least early on after posting. Of course,
there's also the obligation to upload to a 1:1 share ratio or
preferably greater.

Gene

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:48:08 -0500
Ben Kaufman wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:19:02 -0700, wrote:

go to pirate bay and look up fis world cup



On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:32:55 -0500
Ben Kaufman wrote:

Could you please post the URL for the videos? It sounds like these
can finally be played directly on my computer (using apple video
player).

Thanks.


Wow, files are over 1GB... I will pass. but thanks.

  #7  
Old January 7th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Rominger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

I know it might be a little late, but I use a Media Player and an
external HD to watch the videos on TV. It works great and no more
tired eyes in front of the computer. No need to convert files, just
put the cable on the TV and turn on the MP.

Yes, there is some cash involved (something around $100 for a MP and
another $100 for a 500GB, although you might find/need it for less),
but for me it was an investment well paid.
  #8  
Old January 7th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Converting race files for TV viewing

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:11:03 -0800 (PST)
Rominger wrote:

I know it might be a little late, but I use a Media Player and an
external HD to watch the videos on TV. It works great and no more
tired eyes in front of the computer. No need to convert files, just
put the cable on the TV and turn on the MP.

Yes, there is some cash involved (something around $100 for a MP and
another $100 for a 500GB, although you might find/need it for less),
but for me it was an investment well paid.


Thanks. A couple of weeks ago, I posed the problem it at the
VideoHelp.com forum and the suggestion was also a media player. Their
favorites are the WD and Seagate, but when I went looking around there
are others that users like better. The big favorite is the Patriot
BoxOffice, a small box that also takes a HDD, tho I don't have need. My
luck, just before Xmas the price at Amazon dropped to under $45 with
rebate. It plays close to everything, the picture is better than the
Philips DVD player, has a good forum and frequent firmware updates.
Great find.

Gene
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV viewing figures for FIS [email protected] Nordic Skiing 1 April 21st 09 05:51 AM
Weekend TV viewing taywood Nordic Skiing 0 December 5th 04 02:07 PM
converting from classical to skating S. S. Nordic Skiing 9 February 17th 04 03:36 AM
Rats...errors with Janne's video files...help? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 22 December 11th 03 08:55 PM
Snowboarder Converting to Skiing: Advice keegnotrub Alpine Skiing 16 November 10th 03 02:41 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.