Interesting

Old January 2nd 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Interesting

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 08:53:00 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

One point: I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

I had to comment on this. Are you serious? How far did you drive?
The parking lot? I seriously don't believe you.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares,

Seriously, my sister is working in Denver this month. I'm thinking of
going to Aspen or Vail. Anyone heading there? I got a place to stay.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 2nd 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Jan 2, 3:57*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 01/02/2011 01:08 PM, NormG wrote:

*wrote in message
On 01/02/2011 10:30 AM, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
On 01/02/2011 10:05 AM, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

not bad I think the only point we did not make on this group is you
have
less of a chance of a joint injury on a snowboard.

He comments that skis are faster.

I noticed that too.

AFAIK, the most common skier injury is broken or
otherwise messed up thumb. I think the snowboarder's
most common injury is a broken wrist. I may be out
of date with those things, but when my son wanted
to try snowboarding, I made sure he had gloves with
the included wrist splints.

I gathered he was meaning knee or shoulder injuries which have a
tendency to really crimp ones life style

My son has agreed to take skiing lessons at Greek Peak, I am going to be
spending the days at NASTAR training and a race on sunday so mommy is
doing the spa and making sure he is at ski lesson.

My son was a bit older than yours when he tried snow
sliding sports. Probably too old to learn to enjoy
the first few times out. He subsequently became a
city boy.

AFAIK, arm and shoulder injuries are fairly common to
snowboarders, at least as common as to skiers. The only
advantage is leg injuries which are not as common to
snowboarders due to the fact that both legs work
together, though I have heard of a snowboarder breaking
a let. Certainly the chance for hyper-extension type
injuries (ACL/MCL) are less for snowboarders.

Correct in my experience. Most skier calls were for tweeked knees while
snoboarders landed on their outstetched hands quite often causing dislocated
shoulders.

and you can have the pleasure of hearing him scream
all the way down the sled ride to the bottom because
Patrol has been instructed to never set a
dislocated shoulder.- Hide quoted text -

Our local paramedics/firemen/ambulance personnel also do not try to
relieve the pain (other than to tell you to grin and bear it). does
anyone know why they aren't allowed to do anything?
Old January 2nd 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/02/11 08:53, Richard Henry wrote:

On Jan 2, 5:44 am, wrote:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

The leather lace-up kind?

Costner supposedly chose to wear ski boots in Waterworld. Yet another
grievous error...

--
Cheers, Bev
=========

Old January 2nd 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/2/11 1:39 PM, VtSkier wrote:
On 01/02/2011 11:53 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:44 am, wrote:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

When I owned a VW Bug, my ski boots were soft
enough to drive it. And I did so too.

did your leathers have an instep strap? lace-up inners? fancy boot press
to flatten the sole?

those things were like modern hiking boots.
you could dance in them, if there was a girl your age at the apre ski party.

of course you could drive in them; except I didn't have a car.
Old January 2nd 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 2, 5:44 am, wrote:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

When I owned a VW Bug, my ski boots were soft
enough to drive it. And I did so too.

did your leathers have an instep strap? lace-up inners? fancy boot press
to flatten the sole?

those things were like modern hiking boots.
you could dance in them, if there was a girl your age at the apre ski party.

of course you could drive in them; except I didn't have a car.

That's a pretty good description. The bottoms were laminated leather,
and the toes got a little ugly after kicking steps up Tuckerman's.

Old January 2nd 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 2, 5:44 am, *wrote:
*http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

*The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: *I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

The leather lace-up kind?

Costner supposedly chose to wear ski boots in Waterworld. *Yet another
grievous error...

--
Cheers, Bev
=========
Kevin Costner calls in a bomb threat: *"Hey, I've got this great idea
for a sequel to Waterworld!"

Double lace-up. The inner boot could be removed to help dry them out
quicker.

Old January 2nd 11, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
NormG

wrote in message

[...]

==================

I'm thinking VT means reduce the dislocation, rather than apply pain
management. We (patrol) do apply immobilization to a dislocation, to not do
so would risk further injury on the trip down. Most of the actual doctors
who pass thru our clinic will not reduce a dislocation without an xray first
unless the patient has a history of dislocating that joint. The risk of
nerve damage is too great.

As far as pain management, some patrol are certified in minor medications
like entonox or Tylenol, but, in a scenario where circulatory or nerve
damage is possible most will prefer the patient be seen by a higher level of
care in a relatively unadulterated state before they add meds. Most of our
protocols state no meds until seen by a doctor. Once the doctor forms an
opinion he can drug all he wants. In my experience Ambulance can apply pain
management right up to morphine if they feel it is appropriate.
Firemen/first responders usually will not because Ambulance is hardly ever
more than a few minutes behind them and why take the potential liability
when someone else can do so? Remember, when your mother gives you a tylenol
she is not assuming a great deal of liability, but if I respond to your
wreak and offer it to you I am.

Various levels of responders may work with different protocols in your area.

Old January 3rd 11, 12:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

I have no idea unless it has something to do with the
fact that paramedics are not supposed to be able to
diagnose something. If you cannot diagnose a dislocated
shoulder, you certainly can't pop it back into place.