Interesting

Old January 2nd 11, 12:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Interesting

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.
Old January 2nd 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

not bad I think the only point we did not make on this group is you have
less of a chance of a joint injury on a snowboard.

He comments that skis are faster.
Old January 2nd 11, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 01/02/2011 10:05 AM, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

not bad I think the only point we did not make on this group is you have
less of a chance of a joint injury on a snowboard.

He comments that skis are faster.

I noticed that too.

AFAIK, the most common skier injury is broken or
otherwise messed up thumb. I think the snowboarder's
most common injury is a broken wrist. I may be out
of date with those things, but when my son wanted
to try snowboarding, I made sure he had gloves with
the included wrist splints.

Old January 2nd 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

not bad I think the only point we did not make on this group is you have
less of a chance of a joint injury on a snowboard.

He comments that skis are faster.

I noticed that too.

AFAIK, the most common skier injury is broken or
otherwise messed up thumb. I think the snowboarder's
most common injury is a broken wrist. I may be out
of date with those things, but when my son wanted
to try snowboarding, I made sure he had gloves with
the included wrist splints.

I gathered he was meaning knee or shoulder injuries which have a
tendency to really crimp ones life style

My son has agreed to take skiing lessons at Greek Peak, I am going to be
spending the days at NASTAR training and a race on sunday so mommy is
doing the spa and making sure he is at ski lesson.
Old January 2nd 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

My son was a bit older than yours when he tried snow
sliding sports. Probably too old to learn to enjoy
the first few times out. He subsequently became a
city boy.

AFAIK, arm and shoulder injuries are fairly common to
snowboarders, at least as common as to skiers. The only
advantage is leg injuries which are not as common to
snowboarders due to the fact that both legs work
together, though I have heard of a snowboarder breaking
a let. Certainly the chance for hyper-extension type
injuries (ACL/MCL) are less for snowboarders.
Old January 2nd 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 2, 5:44*am, VtSkier wrote:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.
Old January 2nd 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
NormG

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Correct in my experience. Most skier calls were for tweeked knees while
snoboarders landed on their outstetched hands quite often causing dislocated
shoulders.

Old January 2nd 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jan 2, 8:53*am, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:44*am, VtSkier wrote:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: *I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

We already know that you are a blithering idiot.
Old January 2nd 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 01/02/2011 11:53 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:44 am, wrote:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...ge_hits_slopes

The guy writing this is apparently a snowboarder.

One point: I have driven a VW Bug wearing ski boots.

When I owned a VW Bug, my ski boots were soft
enough to drive it. And I did so too.
Old January 2nd 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

and you can have the pleasure of hearing him scream
all the way down the sled ride to the bottom because
Patrol has been instructed to never set a
dislocated shoulder.