Big Bear

Old December 28th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Big Bear

It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg
Old December 28th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 28, 2:19*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

Hehe. That's the huffing and puffington post. That means that the
picture is most likely doctored to fit a storyline.
Old December 28th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 28, 2:12*pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 28, 2:19*pm, lal_truckee wrote:

It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

Hehe. That's the huffing and puffington post. That means that the
picture is most likely doctored to fit a storyline.

Holy ****. Birther Bob calls the HP dishonest? The freak who gets
his news from Fox?
bWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAH
Hey, Shants Bob?
The road to Sun Valley is open. I bet you're going to use this pic as
an excuse for not showing up.
Old December 28th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 12/28/2010 05:12 PM, pigo wrote:
On Dec 28, 2:19 pm, wrote:
It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

Hehe. That's the huffing and puffington post. That means that the
picture is most likely doctored to fit a storyline.

While that picture has some of the earmarks
of PhotoShop (it's really clean), I have
seen roads that look like that.
Old December 28th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 28, 1:19*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

I think I know more or less where that is, on 330 between Highland and
Running Springs. The other ways are longer and more scenic.

This is where the short road in usually gets closed by snow or
rockslide:

http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ie... .48,,0,-13.42

Old December 28th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 28, 2:19 pm, *wrote:
It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

Hehe. That's the huffing and puffington post. That means that the
picture is most likely doctored to fit a storyline.

While that picture has some of the earmarks
of PhotoShop (it's really clean), I have
seen roads that look like that.

Holy ****. Are you so ****ing stupid, so gullible, that you take
Swift Boat Bob's opinion on ANYTHING, especially an honest and
respected liberal media outlet?
Seen Obama's birth certificate lately, teabagger? No suprise you are
also a pathological liar.
Old December 28th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 28, 3:23*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 28, 1:19*pm, lal_truckee wrote:

It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

I think I know more or less where that is, on 330 between Highland and
Running Springs. *The other ways are longer and more scenic.

This is where the short road in usually gets closed by snow or
rockslide:

http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ie...-117.013063&sp...

Any comment on Swift Boat Bob trashing HuffPo? Of course not. No
matter how crazy your buddy gets, you never call him on his bull****.
And he never calls you on yours. How about that contact info? You
can photoshop it.
Old December 28th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/28/10 15:23, Richard Henry wrote:

On Dec 28, 1:19 pm, wrote:
It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

The picture looks real, and it's not very high up -- there are several
nice straight stretches before you hit the snow line. I wonder how/if
this will impact the work on the road below the dam...

Looks like Highway 38 from now on. I hate that road, although it's a
much better place to take the tinies to play in the snow.

I think I know more or less where that is, on 330 between Highland and
Running Springs. The other ways are longer and more scenic.

This is where the short road in usually gets closed by snow or
rockslide:

http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ie... .48,,0,-13.42

Hard to tell from the tiny maplet, but that looks to be near where I
smashed my transmission pan on a rock I thought I could drive over. I
could have fixed it myself with JB Weld if I'd known that that's what it
was, but I didn't have a jack or ramps at the time :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for
Old December 28th 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 28, 4:05*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/28/10 15:23, Richard Henry wrote:

This is where the short road in usually gets closed by snow or
rockslide:

http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ie...-117.013063&sp...

Hard to tell from the tiny maplet, but that looks to be near where I
smashed my transmission pan on a rock I thought I could drive over. *I
could have fixed it myself with JB Weld if I'd known that that's what it
was, but I didn't have a jack or ramps at the time :-(

A friend of mine was having a fun time on the way home one day in that
stretch running into snow balls that had rolled down into the road.
Then he found one with a rock in it.
Old December 29th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 28, 2:12*pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 28, 2:19*pm, lal_truckee wrote:

It may be awhile before the road reopens - looks like more than a pickup
load of gravel will be required.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-12-28-58471387.jpg

Hehe. That's the huffing and puffington post. That means that the
picture is most likely doctored to fit a storyline.

As best I can tell from this aerial view

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...fic&id=7868481

this is where the washout happened:

http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&ie...4 4.24,,0,1.8

The google camera must have been traveling early morning. I have seen
that sun angle early mornings going into Big Bear