Kissin' Cousins

Old January 8th 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Kissin' Cousins

One of Elvis' worst movies is on TCM right now. It was largely filmed
around Big Bear, so I am watching it looking to recognize places as
they looked 45 years ago.
Old January 9th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 8, 2:59*pm, Ted Waldron wrote:
In article
,
*Richard Henry wrote:

One of Elvis' worst movies is on TCM right now. *It was largely filmed
around Big Bear, so I am watching it looking to recognize places as
they looked 45 years ago.

* If you ever see "Call of the Wild" with Clark Gable and Loretta Young,
it was filmed around Mt. Baker, rather than the rough and tough Yukon.

High Sierra (Humphrey Bogart) was filmed at Whitney Portal, and Bad
Day at Black Rock (Spencer Tracy) in the desert near the Coso Junction
rest stop on 395.
Old January 9th 11, 12:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 8, 1:59*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
One of Elvis' worst movies is on TCM right now. *It was largely filmed
around Big Bear, so I am watching it looking to recognize places as
they looked 45 years ago.

It was as bad as I remembered - it's one of those movies you go to
with your girl friend in high school and then ignore the movie. The
high point was the clever editing that allowed Elvis to sing a duet
between the two characters he portrayed in the movie, with only a few
seconds of technical split screen. The Big Bear scenes were pretty
much useless as a travelogue.

Plot: Elvis is an army lieutenant ordered to help convince his
distant relatives in North Carolina to lease mountaintop land to the
Army as a military base. Elvis soon meets a lot of young women and a
blond male cousin (also Elvis) who seduces the WAC member of the
negotiating team. He gets permission for the Army to use one side of
the mountain when the Army agrees that all government employees
(including revenuers) will stay off the other side.
Old January 9th 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
Richard Henry wrote:

One of Elvis' worst movies is on TCM right now. It was largely filmed
around Big Bear, so I am watching it looking to recognize places as
they looked 45 years ago.

Wow! I didn't even know about that one. As for characterizing it as
his worst... er, I've found them all to be about equal quality, but none
of them have a doppleganger Elvis.

I did watch one of my favorite movies from that era though the other
night, "No Time for Sargeants."

It has perhaps my favorite movie line ever.

General: "Why aren't you men dead!?"

Will Stockdale (Andy Griffith, cheerfully): No excuse, sir!