Skiing is dancing on snow not running (was: what was 'the New Skate' ?)

Old December 17th 03, 01:05 PM
Rob Bradlee

Default Skiing is dancing on snow not running (was: what was 'the New Skate' ?)

Anyway, when I hear the group discuss technique at length, is it
really that complicated? Do runners discuss running technique in such
depth? I can see the value of getting yourself video taped and trying
a few new things, but trying to analyze it to such depth seems like a
whole hobby in itself.

Jay Wenner

We spend several years as children learning to walk and run. Even so
most running coaches have to work on the form of their runners. Most
of us learn to ski at a later age. And skiing is not exactly what we
evolved to do. I make a big point in my clinics that skiing is NOT
close to running and biking despite the aerobic component. It IS close
to dance! And yes, dancers spend a lot of time talking about technique
and "take class" to work on fundamental drills of basic motions no
matter their level of expertise. I think skiers, especially masters
racers, spend way too much time worrying about lactate threshold and
over distance training and way too little time working on technique.
(I put myself squarely in this category). I've been trying hard to
incorporate drills into every workout. I feel like I'm skiing better -
have to wait for this weekend's races to find out.

Rob Bradlee

Old December 17th 03, 01:50 PM
George Cleveland

On 17 Dec 2003 06:05:33 -0800, (Rob Bradlee) wrote:

[...]

An excellent observation. One that I'll use in the future, especially when
I'm confronted by the dreaded non-skiers observation that xc "looks like
its too much work".

g.c.
Old December 17th 03, 04:00 PM
Jeff Potter

Yes, nice take on it!

--

Jeff Potter
****

Snow Skate questions Doug Kanter Snowboarding 2 December 30th 03 09:37 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM
First Snow Skiing Of The Season - Saint Paul, MN Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 1 November 4th 03 02:20 AM
Back To Hard Wheels Fot Skate Roller Skiing. Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 4 August 10th 03 07:14 PM
Still skiing on snow... Lars Nordic Skiing 0 July 13th 03 11:48 PM