O'Sin 4807 review

Old March 31st 05, 04:43 PM
Mike T

Default O'Sin 4807 review

I finally got a chance to ride my O'Sin 4807 yesterday, finally got a good
snowfall where there was enough coverage to take out a new board!

Mine is a 178 that is "new old stock" from a couple of seasons ago. The 178
is hard to find new these days but you can easily score a 168 for $150 or
less by going to eBay.

In deep snow: it floats very, very well and turns quite readily. I t
took me a couple of runs to remember that "easy does it", I would up turning
it too tight and pretty much coming to a stop twice on the first run alone.
It's a soft board and readily bends into a turn, helped in part by the fact
that the nose is in contact with so much snow. I found myself easily
gliding over untracked flat sections that I would never make it through on
my other boards. It did just as well in tracked-out powder as it did in
the fresh, I saled through snow that my wife was having to work at on her
Burton Feelgood 155.

On packed snow: you definitely know it's a powder board. It actually
carves quite nicely, but you have to keep your weight from going too far
forward because the nose id totally different than a normal board and it
just kinda bends upward rather than engaging you into the turn. It feels
more like a noodly 163 on groomed, only with a bigger-than-usual sidecut
radius. It was quite a joy to ride on smooth soft groomed, but difficult
to maneuever on bumpy packed-out snow, and when I hit some windblown ice
patches, it was definitely clumsier than your average feeride/freestyle
board.

Keep in mind that the nose on this thing is extremely long, but the edge
length goes all the way to the tail. Much like the old Burton Supermodel,
ride it much longer than your average freeride/freestyle board. I would
recommend the 178 for anyone over 160 pounds, and the 168 for others. I'd
grab a 168 for my wife if it were a bit narrower, she would easily handle
the length and flex but the 25+ cm waist might be a bit much for her size 23
Mondopoint feet (US Women's 6) in between powder patches. Women with size
8 and above feet, give it a try and report back

Bottom line: these make a great board for in-bounds powder and trees.
It's versatile enough to keep riding it as things get tracked out, too.

Mike T