Q: Recommendations for 5 days snowboarding around Salt Lake, UT

Old February 9th 05, 06:03 AM
Eric Goodill

Default Q: Recommendations for 5 days snowboarding around Salt Lake, UT

Hello,

I'm planning for a first trip to the Utah snow for five days of
snowboarding based in the Salt Lake City area. At this point, I'm
planning on just going up the two Cottonwood Canyons and spending time
checking out these resorts. I understand Alta doesn't allow boarders.

Any recommendations for inexpensive places to stay? I'll have a car. I
figured I could just stay someplace not too expensive in SLC and drive
up to the resorts.

Any advice about that or anything else?

Thanks, Eric
Old February 9th 05, 05:18 PM
todd

For lodging go over to www.hotwire.com. You can almost always find a
room in South Salt Lake City in low 30s, including breakfast & hot tub.
Not bad. As you guessed everything is close by.

Yeah, have fun out there. Go to 4 different places and hit your
favorite on the 5th day as a repeat. Somewhere in the middle of your
trip drive out to Ogden and hit Powder Mountain or Snowbasin. If you
go to P. Mtn buy the $7 cat ride ticket as well.

And if you go to Ogden, stop at the Shooting Star saloon on the way
home for the best cheap bar burger you've ever had. (and cheap
drafts). Ask for directions from anyone at the resorts or look it up
online.

Have fun. SLC is great.

-todd

Old February 10th 05, 05:45 PM

Thanks for putting in the plug for Ogden. I've been to Ogden, but not
having a car at the time, I was unable to visit the local ski areas.
The areas near Ogden are said to be uncrowded gems.

Eric Goodill, the OP, says he'll have a car, but he won't need one if
he stays in downtown SLC. He can take a city bus directly to the Canyon
resorts. I stayed at the TraveLodge downtown near the LDS Temple. I
walked about a block to the bus stop, got on the bus, and the next
thing I knew, I was at Brighton. It beats the living daylights out of
driving.

I see that the Utah Transit Authority provides service to Solitude,
Brighton, Snoiwbird, Alta, and Sundance.

Link to UTA bus service:

http://www.rideuta.com/schedulesAndM.../byCounty.aspx

Be sure to check the local grocery stores, Gart Brothers sports stores,
or a counter at the airport for discounts on lift tickets.

I wish I could be there too. Have fun.

Old February 16th 05, 12:12 PM
ttalb

"Eric Goodill" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm planning for a first trip to the Utah snow for five days of
snowboarding based in the Salt Lake City area. At this point, I'm
planning on just going up the two Cottonwood Canyons and spending time
checking out these resorts. I understand Alta doesn't allow boarders.

Any recommendations for inexpensive places to stay? I'll have a car. I
figured I could just stay someplace not too expensive in SLC and drive
up to the resorts.

Any advice about that or anything else?

Thanks, Eric

I would find a hotel in Sandy which is very close to Big and Little
Cottonwood Canyons for Snowbird/Brighton/Solitude. There are many name brand
hotels in the area and lots of restaurants as well. Check out your favorite
web search engine. Then you about a half hour to Park City for Park City/The
Canyons. I also highly suggest going to Snowbasin - best lodges and food of
them all. Go to the far left side of Snowbasin and hit the Strawberry
Gondola - locals favorite. If windy head to the right to John Paul lift and
play in the trees. My favorites Solitude (Honeycomb Canyon), Park City
(Thaynes and Jupiter lift areas), Brighton (Snake River and Millicent lift
areas) The Canyons (far left side of resort from 9990 over to Peak 5 and I
forget the last lift over there) and all of Snowbird if the snow is good.
Pick up your lift tickets at the rental shops for less and check out online
for some multiresort tix that can be cheaper. Powder Mountain, Snowbasin,
Solitude, and Brighton are cheaper tix. Park City and Snowbird more.

Have fun.