First time ski buyer - please help

Old March 9th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Andy Euroman

Default First time ski buyer - please help

After 5 years of low intensity skiing (5-7 days a year) I am ready to
buy my first pair of skis and would really appreciate any guidance/
recommendations.

I am not quite sure what distinguishes an "intermediate" from an
"advanced" from an "expert" skier, so let me describe myself a bit. 36
y.o., 6", 175 lbs male. Live on the east coast and that's where I
expect to ski the most, although I'd love to do more trips to the West
and to Europe. Although five years of skiing at five days a year
doesn't add up to much, I did some related sports (cross country
skiing, skating, skateboarding, rollerblading) when I was younger, so
as soon as I tried alpine skiing, I was going down green slopes on my
first day, blues on my third and blacks in my second season of skiing.
I am still more comfortable on blues, but definitely would like to
advance to a level where double diamonds are not a problem. I feel
more comfortable on skis that are relatively short for my height and
weight (in the 160-165 cm range). I ventured into the terrain park for
the first time this year and enjoyed some moderate jumps and messing
around on the moguls and would like to do that more. I expect to be
skiing mainly on groomed surfaces in ski resorts in the near future.

What I am looking for: a pair of dependable, forgiving, fun and
(hopefully) affordable skis that carve well and would help me develop
from whatever my current level is to the next stage. Given the
undependable weather in the areas where I expect to ski (VA, WV, VT),
I want skis that will not fail on ice or in packed snow.

What I am NOT looking for: "versatile" skis designed to to well on
powder or any terrain other than groomed surfaces and terrain parks.

What I ask you to help with: both concrete recommendations on specific
models that would fit my needs, as well as general guidelines on what
to look for when shopping for skis (construction, type of tips, waist
width, any advice would be very much appreciated!!)

One final note: I already have a pair of boots (Rossignol Carve Z)
that I purchased a few years ago at my local ski store and expect to
be using them for some time more.
Old March 9th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Andy Euroman wrote:
[...]

I can't recommend any particular skis, but on the boots let me make one
suggestion. Make sure your boots have more forward lean than the cheap beginners
boots. I've seen more than oner person limited by beginner boots. If they don't
have enough forward lean, they limit how much you can bend your knees without
sitting too far back. People with this problem have improved drastically when
they got "higher performance" boots. You could take yours in with you when you
shop at a quality ski shop and ask their opinion.

On the skis, I would recommend not ending up with a ski at too low of a
performance level. You want something that will last you a few years. Better to
buy better skis, and take a few lessons to make sure you know how to use them
right than end up with something that will limit you after the first year.

Old March 9th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:19:47 -0700 (PDT), Andy Euroman
wrote this crap:

After 5 years of low intensity skiing (5-7 days a year) I am ready to
buy my first pair of skis and would really appreciate any guidance/
recommendations.

I am not quite sure what distinguishes an "intermediate" from an
"advanced" from an "expert" skier,

Then it doesn't matter. You'll never know.

An expert skier can get down any hill with cafeteria trays duct taped
to his feet, while drinking Captain Morgan from his flask.

Then when driving home, he plays reveille to that dumbass who is
yakking on a cell phone when the stoplight turns green.

Living the dream. Living the dream.

Always do your best, and encourage others to do so.

And vote for the Palin-Arnold ticket in 2012.

That's what leadership is about.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 9th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

wrote this crap:

After 5 years of low intensity skiing (5-7 days a year) I am ready to
buy my first pair of skis and would really appreciate any guidance/
recommendations.

I am not quite sure what distinguishes an "intermediate" from an
"advanced" from an "expert" skier,

Then it doesn't matter. *You'll never know.

An expert skier can get down any hill with cafeteria trays duct taped
to his feet, while drinking Captain Morgan from his flask.

Then when driving home, he plays reveille to that dumbass who is
yakking on a cell phone when the stoplight turns green.

Living the dream. *Living the dream.

Always do your best, and encourage others to do so.

And vote for the Palin-Arnold ticket in 2012.

That's what leadership is about.

* * * * * * *

* * * * * *A mighty Hungarian warrior
* * * *The blood of Attila runs through me

Gingrich-Palin
Old March 10th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Andy Euroman wrote:

What I am NOT looking for: "versatile" skis designed to to well on
powder or any terrain other than groomed surfaces and terrain parks.

Where I ski, that would rule out
most of the advanced and expert runs.

-- Mike Treseler
Old March 10th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Mike Treseler wrote:
Andy Euroman wrote:

What I am NOT looking for: "versatile" skis designed to to well on
powder or any terrain other than groomed surfaces and terrain parks.

Where I ski, that would rule out
most of the advanced and expert runs.

That's his choice. Or, his terrain.

Old March 10th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Bob F wrote:
That's his choice. Or, his terrain.

True.

Andy Euroman wrote:

I am not quite sure what distinguishes an "intermediate" from an
"advanced" from an "expert" skier,

That has something to do with terrain.

-- Mike Treseler
Old March 11th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 8, 8:19*pm, Andy Euroman wrote:
[...]

Don't buy skis - but do by good boots. Take the money you saved by not
buying skis and go on a ski vacation - at least a week - and demo skis
from local shops. You can generally get a package where you can try
the many differrent kinds, and they will be tuned up and waxed when
you pick them up!

First Time Kid JayD Nordic Skiing 3 February 12th 07 12:43 AM
Old school for UK buyer: Rossignol Equipe 3G skis + bindings + poles + bag [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 9th 05 08:39 AM
Now. It's time. Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 5 March 24th 04 11:37 PM
Next time I'll pay more attention to the half-time show Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing 15 February 4th 04 03:38 AM
It's Time Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 14 August 16th 03 04:44 AM