What is "pitch"?

Old February 9th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

Default What is "pitch"?

What is meant by "pitch"?

I just read that Rumor at Gore is has a pitch of 70. It was steep, but it
couldn't have been 70 degrees, but I don't know what else it might refer to.

Old February 9th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article , "Tom"
wrote:

What is meant by "pitch"?

I just read that Rumor at Gore is has a pitch of 70. It was steep, but it
couldn't have been 70 degrees, but I don't know what else it might refer to.

The probably meant 70 percent pitch.

Percent in pitch means the percent vertically in comparison to the
horizontal, so a 100% pitch is a 45 degree slope.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old February 9th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 9, 11:46*am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article , "Tom"
wrote:

What is meant by "pitch"?

I just read that Rumor at Gore is has a pitch of 70. *It was steep, but it
couldn't have been 70 degrees, but I don't know what else it might refer to.

The probably meant 70 percent pitch.

Percent in pitch means the percent vertically in comparison to the
horizontal, so a 100% pitch is a 45 degree slope.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg

Tangent, or vertical drop divided by horizontal run.
Old February 9th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Richard Henry wrote:

Tangent, or vertical drop divided by horizontal run.

No, a tangent is when someone changes the subject. For instance, to
argue about semantics.

//Walt
Old February 10th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Feb 9, 5:09*pm, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Tangent, or vertical drop divided by horizontal run.

No, a tangent is when someone changes the subject. *For instance, to
argue about semantics.

What is pitch? Matsui hit pitch very far.

JP
****************
groan
Old February 10th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Jay Pique wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:09 pm, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Tangent, or vertical drop divided by horizontal run.

No, a tangent is when someone changes the subject. For instance, to
argue about semantics.

What is pitch? Matsui hit pitch very far.

And "Perfect Pitch" is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster and it
doesn't hit the sides.

groan

uh huh.

//Walt
Old February 10th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Walt wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:09 pm, Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Tangent, or vertical drop divided by horizontal run.
No, a tangent is when someone changes the subject. For instance, to
argue about semantics.

What is pitch? Matsui hit pitch very far.

And "Perfect Pitch" is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster and it
doesn't hit the sides.

Black Sticky stuff you seal things with?

--

Chris *:-)

Old February 10th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

MoonMan wrote:
Walt wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

What is pitch? Matsui hit pitch very far.

And "Perfect Pitch" is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster and it
doesn't hit the sides.

Black Sticky stuff you seal things with?

Or that area between the creases where the googlies bounce.

//Walt
//
//
Old February 10th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Tom

"Walt" wrote in message
MoonMan wrote:
Walt wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

What is pitch? Matsui hit pitch very far.
And "Perfect Pitch" is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster and it
doesn't hit the sides.

Black Sticky stuff you seal things with?

Or that area between the creases where the googlies bounce.

Geez, I was satified with the very first answer; didn't know I would get all
the rest.

How steep do trails get?

Old February 10th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Tom wrote:
Geez, I was satified with the very first answer; didn't know I would get all
the rest.

How steep do trails get?

Nearly vertical, for short distances. For sustained distances, about 50
degrees is about the most you're going to find in-bounds. Backcountry
steep-mavens are tackling 60 degree plus terrain - more than that and
the skis (and snow) won't stick.

See http://www.skinet.com/skiing/2001-12/how-steep-steep

//Walt

What is "pitch"? Tom Alpine Skiing 0 February 9th 09 06:38 PM
Is "Base Oxidation" "Freezer Burn"? Gary Jacobson[_2_] Nordic Skiing 3 December 2nd 08 04:10 AM
burton's "twin-like" vs "directional twin" TacoJohn Snowboarding 0 December 21st 07 02:46 AM