Finding instructor for child in Val Thorens?

Old October 7th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Perdita Stevens[_2_]

Default Finding instructor for child in Val Thorens?

We'll be in Val Thorens for Christmas and New Year this year, with our son
who will be 4 years 2 months. He's provisionally quite keen on learning to
ski, but as we found out last year, he's quite easily put off... so I'm
looking for advice that will give us the best chance.

He says quite definitely that he'd rather learn with just an instructor
rather than with a group of children, and given what we've seen of how he
learns I think he's right that that's more likely to work for him. We don't
care about having a child-care element, either; we're quite happy to make
sure one of us is always with him. So how best to go about finding a good,
English-speaking, child-friendly instructor for some private lessons? Of
course an actual recommendation for someone would be ideal, but failing
that, what works for finding someone? Try to do it in advance from ads, or
in the resort? Most likely ski school? There was an ESF office close to us
last year (same place, same time of year) but there hardly ever seemed to
be anyone in there, so that doesn't seem a good bet! Also, should we expect
lessons to involve one of us staying with him and the instructor, or will
it be expected that we just drop him off?

Any other tips welcome. Last year, without expecting much, we did hire him
skis etc. since he said he wanted to try skiing, but we never got as far as
getting him any lessons; he didn't much like even wearing the gear, and we
didn't get to the point of feeling confident he'd last through a lesson.
The main problem seemed to be that he didn't like the hired helmet, and
with hindsight, I'm not convinced it was a good fit. Measuring him in the
recommended way gives us 55cm, which is *much* bigger than expected for a
child of his age (but consistent with the size bike helmet he wears) so I
just wonder whether he got "the size we give 3yo children" rather than the
size that would actually fit him. This year we plan to buy him his own
helmet, soon, so that we can make sure it's a good fit and let him get
happy with it at home (e.g., on his go kart).

Further ideas welcome! We're going in with the view that one more year
spent sledging and snow shovelling with him is not a disaster, whereas
putting him off skiing for life would be very sad... still, I think
enjoying skiing is within his reach this year, probably.

Perdita
--
Dr. Perdita Stevens
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Old October 8th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike[_2_]

"Perdita Stevens" wrote in message
We'll be in Val Thorens for Christmas and New Year this year, with our son
who will be 4 years 2 months. He's provisionally quite keen on learning to
ski, but as we found out last year, he's quite easily put off... so I'm
looking for advice that will give us the best chance.

Well, it's a difficult age and not sure if there is an answer. Best to learn
in group but if he's reluctant then no good. And same may happen in private
lesson - most private lessons are for hour or 2 and availability poor at
busy times? We found ESF fairly useless for our children and they did best
in Austria and Switzerland, although British ski school (BOSS?) in Les Gets
was excellent.

We were OK at taking our children out ourselves when they were that age and
getting them started, gaining confidence, etc. Then lessons, etc.

Sorry for no solution, but look forward to the following seasons and soon
he'll be skiing fine.

Mike

ps don't rent helmet - don't know if it's been pranged - buy one, and in
Austria, etc, can't rent anyway.

Old October 9th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Perdita Stevens

Mike writes:

We were OK at taking our children out ourselves when they were that
age and getting them started, gaining confidence, etc. Then lessons,
etc.

That sounds ideal, if one is competent enough. Last year, I found it hard
e.g. to pick him up when he fell over on skis, without falling over myself!
Still, he's a lot stronger this year (and not a lot heavier), so maybe
it'll be easier.

ps don't rent helmet - don't know if it's been pranged

I did wonder about that, although for last year it really seemed a
non-issue for all the skiing he was going to do. Well, we'll buy this year.

Thanks for the reply,

Perdita

Old October 11th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Oct 7, 8:46 pm, Perdita Stevens
wrote:
[...]

Hi Perdita,

I would say 4 and a bit years is still very young for a week of group
lessons, so I think you're right to look at private lessons if you
don't mind spending the money. My 4 years old nephew had 2 one hour
private lessons last season and I think this was about right. We took
him out to the bottom of the nursery slopes a couple of other times
too but only when he wanted to.

Picking your instructor or school is tricky - personal recommendations
are always best (find out where the seasonaires drink then ask in
those bars) but as you're going over a peak period I think you'll have
to book in advance. I would phone ESF and ask them straight out if
they have any english instructors on the books. I live in Tignes and
there are 2 english instructors who work for ESF, so it does happen
(and one of them is the one that taught my nephew). I admit that
English Instructor doesn't necessarily equal Child Friendly
instructor, but the two nationalities tend to have a different
approach to teaching children, so it might help. Also, find out if ESF
there have a dedicated area for beginner children.

A quick look at the Ski Club page (http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/
resorts/gssg/resort.asp?intContactID=44754) on Val Thoren suggests
'Espace Goitschel' might be worth contacting as they may have a
dedicated children's area as well.

You might also ask about private lessons during over the lunch period.
It's not usually advertised, but they can be cheaper and especially
over new year, you might have greater choice of instructor.

Finally, a good instructor probably wouldn't expect you to stay there
for the lesson as you'll be a destraction for your son. We found a bar
and used the zoom on the video camera to check on progress!

Good luck - I applaud your attitude: give it a go but if he's not
going for it this year then it's simply a family holiday in the snow.
I shudder when I see all the three year olds in sub-zero temperatures
having a miserable time for five days straight. "Not even zee french
children are out in zis" as some of my french friends say - quickest
way to put them off for life.

Matt

Old October 15th 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Perdita Stevens

Matt T writes:

I would say 4 and a bit years is still very young for a week of group
lessons, so I think you're right to look at private lessons if you don't
mind spending the money. My 4 years old nephew had 2 one hour private
lessons last season and I think this was about right. We took him out to
the bottom of the nursery slopes a couple of other times too but only
when he wanted to.

Thanks, that's encouraging reinforcement. They did have a class of kids his
age last year, but I was put off by hearing an instructor shouting at a
desperately crying small child something like "Tu veux rejoiner les bebes,
hein?"

Thanks too for some good tips.

Perdita