Board and riding advice

Old February 24th 05, 01:55 AM
jaycb74

Default Board and riding advice

Looking for some advice from some you who obviously know their stuff. I
ride in the Tahoe area and have boarded for about 12 years but I'm a sad
sack of **** when it comes to knowing the technical aspects of boards. I
currently ride a 2001 NeverSummer Wide 163. This board is still in good
shape and I put about 20-25 days a year in on it. My friends Customs seem
to fall apart after 2-3 seasons. OK...so I'm looking at the new
NeverSummers (if something treats you right, stick with it) and have a few
questions, first I know you'll ask this stuff so here you go:

Age: 34
Years riding: 12
6'3, 215 pounds, size 11 1/2 Soloman boots
Ride Tahoe
Stance: about +20 front and +3 back
Type of riding: freeride, love trees, deep powder, jumping and look for all
types of natural terrain to drop and ollie. Very surf and skate influenced.

1) How much of a difference will I notice b/n a 2001 and 2005 board? I
mean the 2001 is still rideable but I feel like I may be missing out on some
great advancements which would help my riding? The board also doesn't seem
to respond as well as it use to???

2) Looking at the NS T5 and NS Legacy. With the size 11 1/2 boots, can I
get into the T5? What size board would you recommend? I've heard anything
from 163 to 170s? I like the idea of something like a 166 to 168 but really
don't know?

3) B/n the T5 and Legacy (Legacy is wider and made for bigger riders), any
advice on the board? I'd like to stay away from the wide board if possible
but have still heard nothing but great things about both.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old February 24th 05, 10:55 PM
lonerider

jaycb74 wrote:
[...]

Crap, Firefox ate my first post. Your impression that the board doesn't
respond as well is probably correct. Neversummer boards are known for
their durability, even so - after 4 years of 20+ days of riding, I bet
the board is probably getting a little past its prime - like you said,
it will be rideable for another 2-3 years easily, but will continue to
soften up and be a little more mushy and sloppy over the years. I say
now is a great time to switch to a new board, especially if you can
catch some late-season sales - I don't think there have been anything
"amazing" advancements, but I'm sure Neversummer has been incrementally
improving it's boards in the last 4 generations - such that combined
with just getting a new "fresh" board, you will notice quite a
difference if you just bought the same model board - just from this
year.

2) Looking at the NS T5 and NS Legacy. With the size 11 1/2 boots,

can I
get into the T5? What size board would you recommend? I've heard

anything
from 163 to 170s? I like the idea of something like a 166 to 168 but

really
don't know?

I don't know, you are a bit past borderline for the T5 in terms of foot
size. I think 163-165/166 is a good range for you in terms of NS board
models. If you liked the 163W you had, I would say stick with it. If
you feel like the board didn't float in powder enough, or wasn't stable
at higher speeds, maybe move up to 165/166. It's often nicer to have a
little bit of a shorter/wider board for trees, but all my suggestions
are very conservative and the differences are minimal.

3) B/n the T5 and Legacy (Legacy is wider and made for bigger

riders), any
advice on the board? I'd like to stay away from the wide board if

possible
but have still heard nothing but great things about both.

Realize that the Legacy 163 is only .7cm wider than the T5 163 (1cm for
165/166), so I don't know if there is going to be a lost in
performance, but if you go too short, you are definitely going to
notice it. If you really like to drop and ollie natural terrain a lot,
the Legacy is snappier under the foot which will give you quicker line
adjustments and more pop on your ollies, the T5 is much more damp,
which will keep you stable and smooth while blasting down slopes).

So my suggest is go for the Legacy... maybe the 165 if you want more
stability and high speed charging... the 166 T5 might work, but you
would really need to put your boots on it and see how much overhang you
get.

--Arvin

Old February 25th 05, 06:47 PM
jaycb74

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I guess I'm still in a toss-up
b/n the 2 boards. I like the idea of the having more pop in my ollies but
also the stability that the T5 will give me when charging it. My riding is
really 50/50 on the type we do out here b/n the big mtn powder days and
spring type playing all over the mtn. The Legacy does seem harder to find
so that may even play into it. Going to hit a shop in SF tomorrow and check
out the T5 again, this time with my boots and bindings and see how I like
it.

Thanks,

"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...

Board Question Howlee Snowboarding 10 February 3rd 05 09:40 PM
Does 3cm In Board Length Affect Riding? John Smith Snowboarding 7 March 31st 04 09:20 PM
Advice for new boarder please... codepoit Snowboarding 6 February 29th 04 03:22 PM
bX "high end" board Chiono Snowboarding 3 January 12th 04 03:34 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM