news reader with kill file

Old December 14th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

Default news reader with kill file

On 12/14/2009 10:36 AM, VtSkier wrote:
JQ wrote:
On 12/14/2009 8:46 AM, VtSkier wrote:
Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

The one Mike mentions only does one thing. The
other one can filter by subject, etc.

I tried this one too, as I posted previously it only works on e-mail
accounts not newsgroups. That is why I am looking for another newsreader.

How's the skiing up there? Down here we had more rain in the past 3
months than I can ever remember. The weather however has also been out
of the ordinary too, but it is now finally looking like winter is
around the corner.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I'm using XP and T-bird version 2.0.0.23 (20090812)

Try this. While you have t-bird set to a news account, use
the two message filters set ups that Mike and I recommend.
I think it might be something like this:
If you set up message filters while you are in your 'inbox'
or some other sub folder, the filter will work on email, if
you are in a news account, it will work on newsgroups. Try
it, this is how it seems in my version.

As for (ob)skiing, What little is open has been good. A foot
or so of natural last week and three inches last night made
even some of the natural snow trails (Escapade, Great Bear,
Mouse Trap(far skier's right), Cascade Headwall) were skiing
very well.

I'm using version 3.0 I again tried the filter commands that you
suggested. The option that the commands will apply to is e-mail
accounts only. They must have changed the filter usage in in later
versions.

I hope to make it up to your neck of the woods this season but things
aren't looking good at this time. I sure hope this economy thing
improves soon.

JQ
Dancing on the edge
Old December 14th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

JQ wrote:

I'm using version 3.0 I again tried the filter commands that you
suggested. The option that the commands will apply to is e-mail
accounts only. They must have changed the filter usage in in later
versions.

I'm using Thunderbird 2.00.23 on suse linux and

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

.... while I'm reading this newsgroup, eliminates my future
views of the present poster.
I agree that this is not described anywhere, but it does work.
Good luck.

-- Mike Treseler
Old December 15th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

The one Mike mentions only does one thing. The
other one can filter by subject, etc.

I tried this one too, as I posted previously it only works on e-mail
accounts not newsgroups. That is why I am looking for another newsreader.

You can filter on three things for newsgroups. One of them is 'From' which is
generally all that's needed. Set the action to 'mark as read' and only read
unread messages. It's not fully intuitive, but when you get the hang of it it
works fine in its limited way. Certain people are only visible when somebody
replies to them.

People have been bitching about this forever, and a few people are working on
it. Perhaps they'll have it finished for TB3.5, but I'm still running 2.0.0.23.

How's the skiing up there? Down here we had more rain in the past 3
months than I can ever remember. The weather however has also been out
of the ordinary too, but it is now finally looking like winter is around
the corner.

Enough snow and open road here to give it a shot tomorrow.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

Old December 15th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
[...]

3.0 is still a beta. Click on the news server name and THEN click on
Tools/Message Filters. There are two View entities -- Set the one on the top
line (File, Edit, View, Go etc.) to View/Threads/Unread and the View with the
selection box (mine is on the Get Mail, Write, Reply line) to All. That
selection box offers a lot of useful selections, and you can add your own.

I hope to make it up to your neck of the woods this season but things
aren't looking good at this time. I sure hope this economy thing
improves soon.

And people in hell want ice water.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

Old December 15th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

JQ wrote:
On 12/14/2009 2:51 AM, Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

This command does not work for newsgroups only for e-mails,

Thanks,
JQ
Dancing on the edge

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

mozilla based integrated mail and browser create filter from message
under tools menu

I keep many different e-mail addresses different newsgroup servers and
it handles them all keeps inboxes separate and never explodes, my wife
uses outlook and curses it once a week
Old December 15th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
[...]

I did what I suggested with you-know-who's posts
and I haven't seen a post from him for days. So
it does work, at least in TB-2.n
Old December 16th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

On 12/13/2009 10:30 PM, JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no kill
file or anything comparable to it. So my question, what good free news
reader can I get that has one?

Thanks,

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Thanks all, I finally see what I was not doing and got the message
filter to work. I neede the filter to be directed to the this news
group not the newsgroup server. It does as Bev said, it marks the
unwanted posters or posts as read. Not the best but it helps.

VtSkier, my son has been in the hospital since Monday night. His right
lung collapsed for no apparent reason, the doctors seem to think it was
some sort of genetic defect. They have him on a small machine to remove
the air around his lung. Ths morning they are going to give him
another Xray then Cat Scan to check the condition of his lung and the
sack around the lung. If all is well the will remove the vacuum
machine. Then take another Xray if the lung is holding up they will
remove the tube and wait another 4 hours take another Xray. If after
this Xray everything looks good they will discharge him. Otherwise, the
they will replace the tube and start the process all over again.

I'm on my way to see him at the hospital now, hopefully all will be good.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old December 16th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

JQ wrote:
On 12/13/2009 10:30 PM, JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no kill
file or anything comparable to it. So my question, what good free news
reader can I get that has one?

Thanks,

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Thanks all, I finally see what I was not doing and got the message
filter to work. I neede the filter to be directed to the this news
group not the newsgroup server. It does as Bev said, it marks the
unwanted posters or posts as read. Not the best but it helps.

Yes, now instead of marking the post as read, if you do the
same, but going through ToolsMessage Filters(pop-up window)New
(pop-up window)Filter Rules you can set the message to disappear
(be deleted) before it ever gets to your reader. As I said I
haven't seen a single post from you-know-who for several days
now, but continue to see those who continue to poke and who
quote him. You can also edit your existing message filter this way.

VtSkier, my son has been in the hospital since Monday night. His right
lung collapsed for no apparent reason, the doctors seem to think it was
some sort of genetic defect. They have him on a small machine to remove
the air around his lung. Ths morning they are going to give him
another Xray then Cat Scan to check the condition of his lung and the
sack around the lung. If all is well the will remove the vacuum
machine. Then take another Xray if the lung is holding up they will
remove the tube and wait another 4 hours take another Xray. If after
this Xray everything looks good they will discharge him. Otherwise, the
they will replace the tube and start the process all over again.

I'm on my way to see him at the hospital now, hopefully all will be good.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Sending you my prayers and Reiki.
Old December 17th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
As I said I
haven't seen a single post from you-know-who for several days
now,

It's been about a decade for me.

but continue to see those who continue to poke and who
quote him.

I see a few of those, but not very many. It's a sure one-way ticket to
Killfilesville.

ob-ski: the season's in full swing. Heading up to Boyne Highlands
tonight to catch their 6-for-1 lift ticket deal tomorrow. Should be
another good weekend.

//Walt
Old December 17th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

On 12/16/2009 7:03 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

Then take another Xray if the lung is holding up they will remove the
tube and wait another 4 hours take another Xray. If after this Xray
everything looks good they will discharge him. Otherwise, the
they will replace the tube and start the process all over again.

I'm on my way to see him at the hospital now, hopefully all will be good.

According to House MD, stuff like that is repairable. Good that he's
actually in a place where it CAN BE repaired.

My son was discharged today, he was very happy to be home. The cat scan
showed some growths on top of each lung which they are saying was the
cause of his collapsed lung. He will need to get some more Xrays in 1
to 2 days then again in about 2 weeks to make sure the lung is still
holding up. If he has another episode they will go in to remove these
growths. Hopefully he will never have another one but there is a 30%
chance of another episode within one year.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Usenet News Reader DZN Alpine Skiing 4 June 12th 09 05:45 AM
Will oil prices kill XC? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 35 August 28th 08 10:25 PM
Stone grind or flat file? Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing 9 March 22nd 06 02:58 PM
Burton File Guide kit Andrej Snowboarding 9 March 19th 05 07:28 PM
News Reader services Dave Kiely Nordic Skiing 8 January 26th 04 03:04 PM