news reader with kill file

Old December 14th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

Default news reader with kill file

I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it. So my question, what good free
news reader can I get that has one?

Thanks,

JQ
Dancing on the edge
Old December 14th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

JQ wrote:

I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it. So my question, what good free
news reader can I get that has one?

Thunderbird's killfile capabilities are sufficient for THIS group. You only
need to killfile a few people to make life much more pleasant. Thunderbird
seems to pretend to also kill the thread that the killed person posts into, but
it doesn't actually do it.

--
Cheers, Bev
_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_
Old December 14th 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK
Old December 14th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

The one Mike mentions only does one thing. The
other one can filter by subject, etc.
Old December 14th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

On 12/14/2009 12:43 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it. So my question, what good free
news reader can I get that has one?

Thunderbird's killfile capabilities are sufficient for THIS group. You
only need to killfile a few people to make life much more pleasant.
Thunderbird seems to pretend to also kill the thread that the killed
person posts into, but it doesn't actually do it.

I am using Thunderbird 3.0 for windows and I don't see any killfile
command. The filters seems to only work with e-mails. I looked at
Mozilla web site for a a way to kill file a person, thread or topic but
was unsuccessful. I seen that others had post the same question and
was told that there were no such command or way of doing it other than
to write some sort of script to use as an add on. If it is there I need
more help in finding it.

Thanks,
JQ
Dancing on the edge
Old December 14th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

On 12/14/2009 2:51 AM, Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

This command does not work for newsgroups only for e-mails,

Thanks,
JQ
Dancing on the edge
Old December 14th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

On 12/14/2009 8:46 AM, VtSkier wrote:
Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

The one Mike mentions only does one thing. The
other one can filter by subject, etc.

I tried this one too, as I posted previously it only works on e-mail
accounts not newsgroups. That is why I am looking for another newsreader.

How's the skiing up there? Down here we had more rain in the past 3
months than I can ever remember. The weather however has also been out
of the ordinary too, but it is now finally looking like winter is around
the corner.

JQ
Dancing on the edge
Old December 14th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Mike Treseler wrote:

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

I tried this one too, as I posted previously it only works on e-mail
accounts not newsgroups. That is why I am looking for another newsreader.

What version of Thunderbird are you using?

These commands work for me.

P.S. The season got off to a bang on Friday - 15 degrees, 30MPH wind
blowing off the lake, white out conditions. At some points it was
dumping hard enough that you got fresh tracks every run.

//Walt
Old December 14th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Mike Treseler wrote:
JQ wrote:
I am using windows 7 ultimate and MS outlook express is no longer
supported. I am currently using Mozilla Thunderbird and there is no
kill file or anything comparable to it.

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

The one Mike mentions only does one thing. The
other one can filter by subject, etc.

I tried this one too, as I posted previously it only works on e-mail
accounts not newsgroups. That is why I am looking for another newsreader.

How's the skiing up there? Down here we had more rain in the past 3
months than I can ever remember. The weather however has also been out
of the ordinary too, but it is now finally looking like winter is around
the corner.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I'm using XP and T-bird version 2.0.0.23 (20090812)

Try this. While you have t-bird set to a news account, use
the two message filters set ups that Mike and I recommend.
I think it might be something like this:
If you set up message filters while you are in your 'inbox'
or some other sub folder, the filter will work on email, if
you are in a news account, it will work on newsgroups. Try
it, this is how it seems in my version.

As for (ob)skiing, What little is open has been good. A foot
or so of natural last week and three inches last night made
even some of the natural snow trails (Escapade, Great Bear,
Mouse Trap(far skier's right), Cascade Headwall) were skiing
very well.
Old December 14th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

Mike Treseler wrote:

Message, CreateFilterFromMessage, OK

or

Tools, Message Filters, fill in the blanks

I tried this one too, as I posted previously it only works on e-mail
accounts not newsgroups. That is why I am looking for another newsreader.

What version of Thunderbird are you using?

These commands work for me.

P.S. The season got off to a bang on Friday - 15 degrees, 30MPH wind
blowing off the lake, white out conditions. At some points it was
dumping hard enough that you got fresh tracks every run.

//Walt

I am using version 3.0

Thanks,
JQ
Dancing on the edge

Usenet News Reader DZN Alpine Skiing 4 June 12th 09 05:45 AM
Will oil prices kill XC? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 35 August 28th 08 10:25 PM
Stone grind or flat file? Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing 9 March 22nd 06 02:58 PM
Burton File Guide kit Andrej Snowboarding 9 March 19th 05 07:28 PM
News Reader services Dave Kiely Nordic Skiing 8 January 26th 04 03:04 PM