Skiing stuff.. actuall stuff

Old July 20th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

Default Skiing stuff.. actuall stuff

To ge the most bang for buck, is it better to buy at the beginning or at the
end of the season?

Micheal

Old July 20th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

Micheal Artindale wrote:
To get the most bang for buck, is it better to buy at the beginning or at the
end of the season?

It's best to try new gear at the beginning of the season,
because that's when the vendors have the free demo days.
Once you know what you want, the time to buy depends on
the deal and how long you can live without it.

-- Mike Treseler

Old July 20th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:57:46 -0700, Mike Treseler
wrote this crap:

Micheal Artindale wrote:
To get the most bang for buck, is it better to buy at the beginning or at the
end of the season?

It's best to try new gear at the beginning of the season,
because that's when the vendors have the free demo days.
Once you know what you want, the time to buy depends on
the deal and how long you can live without it.

-- Mike Treseler

When dealing with merchants, always have a sword in one hand, and a
sack of gold in the other. If you deal honorably, the merchants will
remember your name forever.

Inspect the merchandise carefully, if the clothing is shoddy, or
ripped in the crotch, then immediately thrust your sword into the
merchant. No jury would convict you.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old July 22nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Micheal Artindale wrote:
To ge the most bang for buck, is it better to buy at the beginning or at the
end of the season?

SUMMER.

Buy last year's gear in the summer if you really want to save $$$$ on
new gear.

Late season sales are 30 to 40 percent off, so that's better than buying
early season at full price. Summer deals can be 50% off or more.

//Walt
Old July 22nd 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
Micheal Artindale wrote:
To ge the most bang for buck, is it better to buy at the beginning or
at the end of the season?

SUMMER.

Buy last year's gear in the summer if you really want to save $$$$ on
new gear.

Late season sales are 30 to 40 percent off, so that's better than buying
early season at full price. Summer deals can be 50% off or more.

//Walt

What he said plus:
Look for ski swaps in the early-mid fall.
Killington Ski Club has a ski swap each
Columbus Day weekend. Okemo's is near
Thanksgiving. There are others away from
ski areas too, often run by local ski
clubs. The big ones like Killington have
local retailers offering new equipment
from previous year at at least half off
plus all of the used stuff that people
donate.
Old August 18th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 18, 5:52 am, lal_truckee wrote:

Hell, buy 5 year old gear for 10 cents on the dollar - things haven't
been changing much recently, except for the foolishness of dedicated
binding "systems."

I think everything is still getting wider...including people.
Old August 18th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Evojeesus wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:52 am, lal_truckee wrote:

Hell, buy 5 year old gear for 10 cents on the dollar - things haven't
been changing much recently, except for the foolishness of dedicated
binding "systems."

I think everything is still getting wider...including people.

Nope and nope.
Not "everything."

What you're seeing is a lot more people are skiing formerly pow and junk
snow width skis on the groomed. Sort of works, but those width skis have
been available for decades, and perfectly suitable wide boards show up
in garages and dumpsters everywhere. It's been maybe twentyfive years
since I demoed Atomic "Fats" which are still maybe the widest ski
underfoot that I've skied (crap then, crap now: My perception then was
"wow, these conditions are difficult and challenging, but these turkey
skis take away all the fun making the cement trivial - whats the point?
I gave them back to the truck and returned to my regularly scheduled
program.)

And no, we aren't ALL getting wider.

Old August 18th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 18, 3:05 am, lal_truckee wrote:

My perception then was
"wow, these conditions are difficult and challenging, but these turkey
skis take away all the fun making the cement trivial - whats the point?

Ability to ski faster and longer I presume. I never bought the
argument that telemarking must be great since it's so challenging and
tiring..
Old August 18th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Evojeesus wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:05 am, lal_truckee wrote:

My perception then was
"wow, these conditions are difficult and challenging, but these turkey
skis take away all the fun making the cement trivial - whats the point?

Ability to ski faster and longer I presume. I never bought the
argument that telemarking must be great since it's so challenging and
tiring..

I didn't say the skiing was difficult and challenging - I said the
conditions are difficult and challenging. Just means adjusting technique
to fit the capabilities of the skis and manage the conditions; then it's
just skiing.

What I was objecting to was how pointless it would be (to me,
particularly) to ski on skis that seek to disassociate the skier from
the snow. The skier/snow/gravity interaction is why I ski; I don't want
a ski that washes out the interface, which to me seems the intended
point of all too many current ski designs and (case in point) those
early Atomic "Fat Boys."