shop story

Old January 28th 05, 04:42 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default shop story

hey now,

Wrong wax on board, needed edges. dropped it off at a
place I've trusted in the past. Next day pick up board and
breakfast stuff. Hour later I'm about to bust out the
door when something says 'brush your board first'.

Well.. either these guys just had a bad day or they've got
some new staff. First thing I noticed is I can see on the
base where my bindings are mounted. Take a couple strokes
with the brush and can tell right away there's still wax on
the board:

http://www.westnet.com/~darkstar/donek/wax_short.jpg

Had to waste some more time with the scraper and brush to
make it all right again. But these guys sure did slack -
leaving the bindings on and thats not just a little bit
of wax!

Moral(s) of the story:

always bring your scraper and a brush when you travel.. you
never know what you'll get out of a shop

its always better to just do it yourself!

Old January 31st 05, 05:54 PM
todd

Bummer.

That's one reason I always take off my bindings when I bring the board
in. As you know, the binding screws tend to pull up the base a bit.
If you take them off before hand it also let's the base relax at room
temp by the time they tune.

Funny thing is, I wax my own board now and rarely remember to loosen my
binding screws before I start AND I never notice any effects. Maybe
its because I'm hand scraping it myself I make sure I get it off all
areas. ? Or, those jokers at the shop probably put your board on the
belt sander to hit the edges and clean off the base...that's pretty
standard, but if you're screws aren't loose AND you're taking off base
material, you may notice the problem more (as different amounts of
material are sanded/ground off under your bindings.) yuck.

I end up still having to take my board in when the edges get too beat
up for a hand file. You know, you can only do so much before you have
to bring the base down to the level of your edges which have been
ground down by rocks! ugh.

Old January 31st 05, 08:03 PM
Mike T

Funny thing is, I wax my own board now and rarely remember to loosen my
binding screws before I start AND I never notice any effects. Maybe
its because I'm hand scraping it myself I make sure I get it off all
areas. ?

Could be a couple of reasons:

1) Some bindings create more "base suck" than others, and some boards are
more prone to it than others. If you have a binding / board combination
that is low on "base suck" than you would never have this problem to begin
with.

2) If you wax in a manner that uses as little wax as possible, you're
probably not pooling it up in the insert area anyway

3) Maybe you're not looking that closely. A little extra wax left on the
insert area might not be detectable, either by board handling or visual
inspection, unless you're riding in spring conditions. Slushy spring snow
will eat up your wax job in a matter of a couple hours, and I've noticed
that wax does tend to cake up on the insert areas, even more so than
normal - probably melting and getting stuck there.

In any case... I find that loosening or removing bindings makes for an
easier time waxing - it's easier to get the wax to penetrate near the
inserts and it's easier to crape it off evenly.

Old February 1st 05, 03:52 AM
Dmitry

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote

yeah when I wax myself I have one of those fold up home depot
work tables so the bindings always need to come off.

Next time you'll be waxing yourself on the fold-up table, take
the snowboard off. That way, you won't have to unscrew the
bindings.