Useful reading for RSA Republicans

Old July 23rd 03, 10:26 PM
lal_truckee

Default Useful reading for RSA Republicans

Mike Speegle wrote:
In news:Chuck typed:

Nope. Not a snowboarder. I was under the incorrect notion that L. Ron
Hubbard and his "Church of Scientology" was the new name for Christian
Scientism. As Pigo has already stated, both are made up.

L. Ron Hibbard's Scientology is based on a crappy sci-fi novel and
designed to get as much money from the "believers" as possible and has
nothing to do with a deity or religion.

Hold on now - I find the Scientologists to be as loony as they come -
but tell me again why a religion designed to separate "believers" from
their money is in any sense different from every other religion extant?

ObSki: At least Ullr and Skadi stand for something: the deep and steep.

Invocation of UllR

Hail to the little known UllR
Hunter among the Aesir
Taking the lives of animals
Skier on snowshoes with impressive tracks
May you preserve the species that dwell here
in the coming winter
And provide sustenance for you & yours!
Hail UllR!

(libate)

(all) Hail UllR!

Invocation of Skadi

Hail to feisty Skadi
Brave, Independent, and Wistful goddess
Skilled Huntress, Exacting Markswoman
Devoted Daughter of Thiazi
Alternately fierce and graceful
both wild and sophisticated
Ice Dwelling Etin Goddess
Fair Minded Negotiator
We raise our horn to you on this holy night.
Come among us & accept our tribute!
Hail Skadi!!!

(libate)

(all) Hail Skadi!

Old July 23rd 03, 10:34 PM
pigo

"Walt" wrote in message
Mike Speegle wrote:
In news:Chuck typed:

Nope. Not a snowboarder. I was under the incorrect notion that L.

Ron
Hubbard and his "Church of Scientology" was the new name for

Christian
Scientism. As Pigo has already stated, both are made up.

L. Ron Hibbard's Scientology is based on a crappy sci-fi novel

and
designed to get as much money from the "believers" as possible and

has
nothing to do with a deity or religion.

Yep. A big world of difference between Christian Scientists and
Scientology. Scientologists aren't Christians for one. And neither

has
much to do with science.

Let's not forget that "based on a crappy sci-fi novel and designed to
get as much money from the "believers" as possible" describes deity AND
religion too!

Old July 24th 03, 01:02 AM
lal_truckee

Mike Speegle wrote:
In news:lal_truckee typed:

Mike Speegle wrote:

In news:Chuck typed:

Nope. Not a snowboarder. I was under the incorrect notion that L.
Ron Hubbard and his "Church of Scientology" was the new name for
Christian Scientism. As Pigo has already stated, both are made up.

L. Ron Hibbard's Scientology is based on a crappy sci-fi novel
and designed to get as much money from the "believers" as possible
and has nothing to do with a deity or religion.

Hold on now - I find the Scientologists to be as loony as they come -
but tell me again why a religion designed to separate "believers" from
their money is in any sense different from every other religion
extant?
ObSki: At least Ullr and Skadi stand for something: the deep and
steep.

Becaus eScientology was created only for that reason. The story is
old, but at an SF Worldcon, while sitting around the table playing cards
with a number of other SF writers the question was asked (paraphrased)
"What would you do to get rich?" When they got around the table to
Hubbard, his answer was "Create a new religion."

While many religions love that money, the CofS was created
*exclusively* for the money. There is no belief or deity at all. Just
some old alien race that created man, blah, blah... And if you give
enough money, they'll let you read the book the the CofS is based on.
Mightly expensive book, all in all. ;-)

I know all that - Heinlein is said to have been at the session ...
Still - I believe ALL religions result in essense from some caveman
sitting around the fire figuring out an easier way to live - let the
other guys go out and bring home the meat; he'll stay at home and pray.
Or the equivalent. Claiming (or even Believing) in one or more diety
doesn't change the basic scam. (BTW, some believers have opted out of
the scam, thereby proving something or other c.f. St Francis, or
Siddartha. The rest seem quite content with gold hats and fine robes.

So - what do you think of my invocations of Ullr and Skadi? - ski gods
are after all vital to a ski group, and I'm trying to work up a deal
wherein all who post are required to send Ullr and Skadi offerings of
skis and boots and helicopter rides, which of course must filter through
me to be acceptable to said Ullr and Skadi. And I'm sincere - a true
believer in the Steep and Deep. All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.

Old July 24th 03, 01:32 AM
pigo

"Mike Speegle" wrote in message
In news:lal_truckee typed:
Mike Speegle wrote:
[...]

And that's different other than "card game" and time frame, how?

While many religions love that money, the CofS was created
*exclusively* for the money. There is no belief or deity at all.

Just
some old alien race that created man, blah, blah... And if you give
enough money, they'll let you read the book the the CofS is based on.
Mightly expensive book, all in all. ;-)

You're talking about mormons, right? Catholics, Epsicopalians.
Jews, Buddhist, Hindu, and even *real* Muslims are the only ones I can
think of that developed out of some sort of evolution of the spirit. And
are recognized as that. There are probably some ancient ones, less known
that I failed to mention (for the nitpickers).

Old July 24th 03, 02:49 AM
bdubya

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:32:28 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:
(snipt)
You're talking about mormons, right? Catholics, Epsicopalians.
Jews, Buddhist, Hindu, and even *real* Muslims are the only ones I can
think of that developed out of some sort of evolution of the spirit. And
are recognized as that. There are probably some ancient ones, less known
that I failed to mention (for the nitpickers).

Permit me to nitpick: you left out Liberalism.

bw

(I'm KIDDING; just makin' a funny.)
Old July 24th 03, 03:00 AM
bdubya

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:49:56 +0000 (UTC), Kurt
wrote:

In article , lal_truckee says...
..
And I'm sincere - a true
believer in the Steep and Deep. All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.

I don't know about the other stuff, but yes, All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.
(and Ortovox and Pieps)

And Gore.

bw
Old July 24th 03, 04:14 AM
bdubya

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:20:36 +0000 (UTC), Kurt
wrote:

In article , bdubya says...

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:49:56 +0000 (UTC), Kurt
wrote:

In article , lal_truckee says...
..
And I'm sincere - a true
believer in the Steep and Deep. All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.

I don't know about the other stuff, but yes, All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.
(and Ortovox and Pieps)

And Gore.

I never said that, YOU did. It might be difficult for you (all) to understand,
but I'm not on either side. I'm on MY side (wherever that falls). I'm
pro-backcountry, pro-public-lands, pro-skiing, pro-freshies,
pro-el-steepo-deepo, pro-gun, pro-living-as-you-wish. I'd prefer if the
government stayed the F out of my life. Welfare? For whom? In my 40 years,
I've used 7 weeks of unemployment and that's paid by your previous
company/state, not some crazy subsidy from the Feds, like cattle grazing, mining
and timber sales.

-K

I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a sore point. I mean, yeah, not even
the 3-ply is genuinely _waterproof_, especially under a pack strap,
and it's kind of disingenuous for them to advertise it as such. But
still, I don't know of anything that, overall, keeps a body any drier
(assuming said body is doing some work in less-than-lovely weather)
and if anybody else does, I'd love to hear about it.

bw
Waitaminute.....No, no, I meant W.L., not Albert. My apologies.
Old July 24th 03, 05:07 AM
Richard Henry

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

So - what do you think of my invocations of Ullr and Skadi? - ski gods
are after all vital to a ski group, and I'm trying to work up a deal
wherein all who post are required to send Ullr and Skadi offerings of
skis and boots and helicopter rides, which of course must filter

through
me to be acceptable to said Ullr and Skadi. And I'm sincere - a true
believer in the Steep and Deep. All hail Ullr. All hail Skadi.

I petition thee to appoint me Bishop of the South.

Old July 24th 03, 12:45 PM
pigo

"bdubya" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:32:28 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:
(snipt)
You're talking about mormons, right? Catholics, Epsicopalians.
Jews, Buddhist, Hindu, and even *real* Muslims are the only ones I

can
think of that developed out of some sort of evolution of the spirit.

And
are recognized as that. There are probably some ancient ones, less

known
that I failed to mention (for the nitpickers).

Permit me to nitpick: you left out Liberalism.

bw

(I'm KIDDING; just makin' a funny.)

Looking at my post, I mispunctuated. There should be a ? after
Episcopalians too. "Jews'' should start a new paragraph. Sorry for any
confusion I may have caused.

Old July 24th 03, 04:21 PM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

So - what do you think of my invocations of Ullr and Skadi?

Pretty good, but it needs more archaicisms. "Impressive tracks,"
"alternately" and "sophisticated" just don't cut it. Maybe a bit more
rhythm, too. How are you at iambic pentameter?

Hey! Cut me a little slack - translation is hard work! Especially that
Old Norse stuff. And I can't help it if the Bards used dumb words; you
hae to be honest to the source.

Anyway, we can't all translate the old tongue like a Seamus Heaney.