Italy recommendations

Old January 21st 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

Default Italy recommendations

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:18:41 GMT, Ace allegedly
wrote:

Well yes, to get to Alagna involves either a couple of cruisy runs and
chair lifts or just one that's a bit of a hack with some flats (fine
for skiers, but some boarders will struggle) to access the required
cable-car to the Salati pass.

I can get through most flats, but the Mrs has a, umm, different technique.
I'll try it sometime whilst she sups a latte.

Accessing Champoluc would normally be easiest via the shuttle bus
already mentioned, but can also be acheived from the Jolanda lift, via
one more chair lift and a _glorious_ long black/itineraire run down.

Sounds good - I'll check the piste map and get back to you if it's not
obvious.

Thanks for all the info.
Old January 28th 09, 10:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Switters wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:49:56 GMT, john elgy
allegedly wrote:

We got back from Champoluc last weekend and also reccommend the
Monterosa area; good cruising piste skiing and very good off piste.

All good news! How was the snow?

The snow was excellent. Every building had over a metre on the roof. No
stones were visible and we got about 20 cm fresh during the week. Locals
seem to think that the depth is such that it will remain until June. We
were able to ski down to Alagna at 1200m; a run of 1700m vertical drop.

John
Old March 9th 09, 12:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:04:41 GMT, Ace allegedly
wrote:

You might try Gressonay, lift-linked with Champoluc and Alagna. Great
off-piste[1] without having to hike too much, and a reasonable amount
of cruisy stuff, although it's not huge. Nice hotel (Jolanda Sport) at
base of lift with decent food and a very reasonably-priced wine list.

Many thanks to Ace and others for information on the Monte Rosa area. Mrs
and I had a fab time, which admittedly was aided slightly by lots of fresh
snow, and the 50cm+ we got on Thursday. It's been a while since I've got
4/6 powder days all off the lifts.

Good food, good wine, good variety of runs and off-piste. It ticked all
the boxes[1] and I'd be tempted to go back, depending on the snow
forecast.

[1] Although the crowds[2] at the weekend are indeed big.
[2] Mostly Italian obviously[3]
[3] Whose dress sense appears to be polarised into incredibly chic or
hideously gaudy.