Finally skiing

Old January 19th 05, 05:51 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Default Finally skiing

Here in St. Paul, we've gotten used to driving a few blocks or a few
miles and skiing at Como golf course. During normal winters, the rock
skiing starts in early Dec, the course is groomed from about Christmas
until the big melt down that often occurs around Birkie week. Usually
there's big groups of skiers out there in the afternnon from a few high
schools, and then in the evening the big Finn Sisu groups arrive.

With no snow this year, the skiers have been scattered to the wind,
running, cycling, swamp skiing, etc. I haven't skied much at Elm Creek
this year because I hate rush hour traffic, and I purchased a pass to
Trollhaugen (which I haven't been to much either), but I think Elm
Creek has become the new local meeting place for skiers.

Last night we got a 1/2" of snow and it was my first ski at Como. It
was dead with hardly anyone there until the Finn Sisu groups arrived
about 7 pm. Wow, a normal ski evening in the winter. Felt kind of odd.
There's no trail packed down, but the free range skiing was pretty good
considering the fact that St. Paul Streets Dept hasn't had to plow snow
yet this year.

How long does it take to get in shape? Can I do it in a week?
Jay Wenner

Old January 19th 05, 08:09 PM
Bob Larson

Speaking of the Twin Cities, It was supposed to
snow a couple of inches this afternoon/evening according
to all the weather reports. Right now, it sure doesn't feel
like snow. The weather radar shows a wimpy front way to the
east of us.

In some of our past "global warming winters" (I'm adopting the term
now, just to get a jump on everyone else), we at least had
rollerskiing conditions. This winter has been bad for both.

According to the NOA long term forcast issued a couple of months
ago, this was supposed to be a near normal winter.
I think they were right. It has been normal, we just have
a new definition of normal. The problem is that weather forcasters
are dependent on historical trends, the same way a heroine
addict is dependent on heroine. They don't want to admit the
obvious, unlike climate scientists who to the person are
taking change as a given.

-Bob

Old January 20th 05, 02:36 AM
Gary Jacobson

We have maybe 7 km of decent classic, and after today's 1 inch of snow,
maybe skating on Guyot Hill. Involves a ten minute hike up. The views are
fantastic and the trails are interesting. Did it tonight with head lanterns
so the only view was that of falling snow.

The underlying situation that resulted in good skiing was grooming by
rolling immediately prior to the rain deluge event last week. Then the very
low temps, and tiny bits of cold powder over the last four days.The base
yields just enough to form tracks. Off trail everything is rock solid with a
two inch crust that isn't trustworthy to ski on. Falling through it really
tears your ankles up.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Skiing tomorrow... FINALLY Mike Alpine Skiing 1 December 18th 04 01:29 PM
Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM