When it's not your time to die

Old March 11th 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Default When it's not your time to die

Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at
half-term, with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out)
did her cruciate ligaments in one knee.

Anyway, she was very high up at Les Arcs, and for some reason the
ski-doo blood wagon couldn't get to her, or there wasn't one available
anyway, so she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one
rescue bod fore and one aft. You know the things.

And off they set. "All you can see is sky," she said "because you're
strapped in."

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles breaking
off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody holding it, and
her still strapped in.

It didn't slide. It rolled. Snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky and by
the grace of God she still had her helmet and goggles on as her face was
being mashed into the snow on every revolution.

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki TS250ER GN250 Damn, back to six bikes!
Old March 11th 10, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Nige

On 11/03/2010 19:53, The Older Gentleman wrote:

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Now & again you get a break, i had one the other week with the
windscreen episode
Old March 11th 10, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

[...]

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised one handle breaking meant losing the whole thing.

--
Colin Irvine
Old March 11th 10, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
zymurgy

On Mar 11, 8:06*pm, Colin Irvine wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did.

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised one handle breaking meant losing the whole thing.

I thought he did bloody well, it's damn slippery out there. [1]

Paul.

[1] Well, you started it with wheeling out the old joke
punchlines ... [2]
[2] For bonus points, name that joke.

Old March 11th 10, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

[...]

Good god. Never heard a story like that before.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old March 11th 10, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Thomas

On Mar 11, 11:53*am, (The Older
Gentleman) wrote:
Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at
half-term, with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out)
did her cruciate ligaments in one knee....
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice.

The Fickle Finger of Fate. And if the bitch is fickle enough, just as
the lady walks out of the hospital, she gets run over by a lunatic
cager.

Old March 11th 10, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:13:19 -0800 (PST), zymurgy squeezed out the
following:

On Mar 11, 8:06*pm, Colin Irvine wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did.

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised one handle breaking meant losing the whole thing.

I thought he did bloody well, it's damn slippery out there. [1]

Paul.

[1] Well, you started it with wheeling out the old joke
punchlines ... [2]
[2] For bonus points, name that joke.

Can't figure it out.

--
Colin Irvine
Old March 11th 10, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ts

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

--
ts in Surrey // to send e-mail, remove vehicle
K-RS 8v, 80/7, 750SS
Old March 12th 10, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
YTC#1[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

There is no god, if there had been, none of the above would have happened
:-)

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GSX250, Pegaso 650 Trail

Old March 12th 10, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
YTC#1[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at half-term,
with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out) did her
cruciate ligaments in one knee.

Anyway, she was very high up at Les Arcs, and for some reason the ski-doo
blood wagon couldn't get to her, or there wasn't one available anyway, so
she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one rescue bod fore
and one aft. You know the things.

And off they set. "All you can see is sky," she said "because you're
strapped in."

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles breaking
off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody holding it, and her
still strapped in.

If only 1 handle broke, what was

a) The guy holding with hand 2 ? (assuming 2 per end)
b) The guy at the other end holding ?

It's About Time pigo Alpine Skiing 73 September 20th 07 05:07 PM
First Time Kid JayD Nordic Skiing 3 February 12th 07 01:43 AM
time Howlee Alpine Skiing 14 August 1st 05 09:48 PM
Next time I'll pay more attention to the half-time show Dave Stallard Alpine Skiing 15 February 4th 04 04:38 AM
It's Time Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 14 August 16th 03 04:44 AM