cold hands and feet:

Old January 5th 04, 03:43 PM
Sally Johnston

Default cold hands and feet:

Hello group can anyone suggest good effective gloves
and footgear as my hands and feet chill very quickly even
at -5f sure would appreciate some info.

Jim.J

Old January 5th 04, 04:02 PM
Peter Clinch

Sally Johnston wrote:
Hello group can anyone suggest good effective gloves
and footgear as my hands and feet chill very quickly even
at -5f sure would appreciate some info.

I'll let someone else tackle the footwear side, but for hands note that
gloves aren't as warm as mittens (more surface area to lose heat from),
so mittens probably the way to go. Multiple layers will be more
efficient, with a windproof outer and thermal insulation of some sort in
an inner mitt probably as warm as you'll get. Nothing to stop you
wearing a thin pair of gloves under it all to give an extra boost, but
if you do that make sure the mitts are sized for your hands plus the
liners, not just your hands.

If it's really cold it won't be wet, so no particular need to worry
about waterproofing, and since most people can work harder than Goretex
etc. allows vapour to escape you may be better off without it.

Ortovox do some particularly warm mitts. The boiled and pre-shrunk wool
is good quality and *very* effective, and if you can still get cold in
their Antarctic triple-mitt system I doubt there's much hope... As
usual with layers you don't have to use them all at once so they're more
flexible than a single very warm mitt over a much wider range of conditions.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old January 5th 04, 04:43 PM
Daymiller

Multiple layers will be more
efficient, with a windproof outer and thermal insulation of some sort in
an inner mitt probably as warm as you'll get.

Just make sure these layers are not restrictive to blood flow, they must be
"loose". Heat tablets work also
Old January 5th 04, 06:27 PM
Gary S.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:02:55 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Sally Johnston wrote:
[...]

Well said.

I would add, though, that by keeping your core body (torso and
especially head and neck) warm, your body will have enough heat to
spare for extremities. You should also "stoke" your internal heating
by having plenty to eat and drink throughout the day.

Don't skimp on handwear, look at what mountainers and ice climbers
use, not what Alpine skiers use at resorts.

For feet, most boots are reasonably insulated. You can add
supergaiters with insulation for extreme cold.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old January 5th 04, 09:20 PM
RBM

Try looking for some snowboarding mittens. IMHO, they do things right.
They're frequently large (I have huge hands, personally) and have big
gauntlets that extend up the arms, which helps if you're off tele'ing
in the loose stuff. My pair has removable inner liners. Also, they're
warm. Finally, if you're really cold you can put some of those
artificial air-activated heating pads in the mitten, although this is
somewhat less practical if you're out for a jaunt of more than a day.

Old January 6th 04, 12:10 AM
Tommy T.

In addition to proper coverings, you can learn to "think" your hands and
feet warmer using techniques taught by various yoga, self-hypnosis and
relaxation therapy schools.

Proper coverings are essential because the "think" systems all involve
relaxation to increase the blood flow through the cold member and that, in
turn, increases heat loss. I "think" my hands and feet warm only in two
situations -- when I have just put on cold boots or mittens and want to warm
them quickly and when I have just taken them off in a warm place and want to
get rid of lingering chill quickly.

Tommy T.

Old January 6th 04, 01:00 AM
Guido

"Tommy T." writes:
In addition to proper coverings, you can learn to "think" your hands and
feet warmer using techniques taught by various yoga, self-hypnosis and
relaxation therapy schools.

Timing and anticipation. You can't expect much from the car heater until
you've got the engine up to heat. Works the same for hands, so keep the
engine running out there.

"Takes a minute to chill a hand, and ten to rewarm one," so don't chill a
hand in the first place. If you have to be finger-intensive, bring a body
warmed by exercise and use your time well.

It comes down to an appreciation of how we create, lose and transfer heat.
Most RSB folks are on "auto" out there, so practiced that they'd never pause
to rest in a wind, spill fuel on skin, or overrest to a chill. 'Course,
that's how these folks got on "auto" out there.

It ain't the warm glove or mitten that makes fingers warm. Mitts and gloves
just retard the heat loss. Your body's muscle contractions produce the
heat.

You can learn to pace that production to your needs, and then selectively
vent excess heat or retain warmth as circumstances dictate. And the whole
process can be seemless and automatic over time.

'Course, good gear sure helps. But good technique served generations before
us, and it's still priced right.

Old January 6th 04, 05:28 AM
GR

I have had similar problems and found that a thin pair of silk gloves (got
mine from www.sportsmansguide.com) with wool mittens over top (Swiss army
surplus from the same place), and then to keep them dry a thin nylon shell
mitt over top.
My hands perspire a lot, and the silk liner helps wick that away, the wool
breathes well, and the Nylon stops wind.

Had a similar problem with feet until I absolutely stuck with socks against
the skin that wicked moisture (coolmax; also from sportsman's guide). On the
socks I mostly use 2 pair (have my boots sized for that), the outer pair
being smartwool or thinsulate from LL Bean.

Just got a hat that has a wicking liner, more for comfort than anything, was
cold to put back on, and the sweat itched with the one piece fabric type
(turtle fur).
Did try the space socks from sportsmans guide, but didn't like them much.

Needless to say my base layers of other underwear are also wicking material.
gr

Old January 6th 04, 06:51 AM
Steve

Peter Clinch wrote:
Sally Johnston wrote:
[...]

Sally:

Just to second the Ortovox (or Dachstein) boiled and pre-shrunk wool
mittens. I always carry a pair for very cold conditions. I wear them over
a lightweight Thermax liner glove and under a pair of Gore-tex shell
mittens.

Steve

Old January 6th 04, 08:44 AM
Martin Thornquist

[ Sally Johnston ]

Hello group can anyone suggest good effective gloves
and footgear as my hands and feet chill very quickly even
at -5f sure would appreciate some info.

As others have said, use mittens. I use wool mittens (mostly knitted
by my grandmother with long Goretex overmittens, which overlap well
with the jacket sleeves. In addition, make sure your wrists and palms
are warm. Some shirts have sleeves which cover the palm, with a hole
for the thumb. And use a warm enough hat -- your body prioritizes
keeping the head and internal organs warm, while fingers and toes are
lowest priority and hence first cut off from blood flow.

For boots, make sure they're big enough and have space for a couple
pairs of thick wool socks without restricting blood flow. Insulation
from the cold ground is important; if you're standing still, stand on
a paper or a closed cell pad or something. Use overboots or
all-covering gaiters for some extra insulation and to keep the snow
away from the boots.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp