Stolen skis

Old January 24th 05, 05:06 AM
PG

"Sammy" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Don't lock your skis up, swap them or spend all lunch time fretting
| about them.
| Otherwise we will all have to follow suit with ever escalating levels
| of security and the thieving scum will have won.
| People will be asking for CCTV on the mountains next...
|
| Sammy

Excellent advice Sammy.

T. Leef

Old January 24th 05, 08:51 AM
Sammy

Dear Mr Leef,
"safety in numbers" is a well tried and tested strategy for survival
adopted by shoals of fish, wildebeest and flocks of migrating birds.
Sure the predator will isolate and pick off one of the weaker targets
every so often: there is not a lot we can do about it.

Leave an unlocked bike on a street in London and you will be surprised
to see it still there after 10 minutes. One of the civilised aspects
of skiing is that you can normally leave your skis unattended and fully
expect them still to be there on your return, after lunch say. This is
worth preserving I think.

Sammy

Old January 24th 05, 08:53 AM
Ace

On 24 Jan 2005 01:51:09 -0800, "Sammy" wrote:

Dear Mr Leef,
"safety in numbers" is a well tried and tested strategy for survival
adopted by shoals of fish, wildebeest and flocks of migrating birds.
Sure the predator will isolate and pick off one of the weaker targets
every so often: there is not a lot we can do about it.

Leave an unlocked bike on a street in London and you will be surprised
to see it still there after 10 minutes. One of the civilised aspects
of skiing is that you can normally leave your skis unattended and fully
expect them still to be there on your return, after lunch say. This is
worth preserving I think.

But in what way, exactly, would locking/splitting skis detract from
this? Surely by making things even more difficult we'd further reduce
the number of thefts?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 24th 05, 10:31 AM
Sammy

Because by even thinking "my skis will be stolen if I don't do this"
you are spoiling your lunch and behaving like a mistrustful and fearful
person. Most undignified.

Sammy

Old January 24th 05, 12:02 PM
Switters

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:31:32 GMT, "Sammy"
allegedly wrote:

Because by even thinking "my skis will be stolen if I don't do this"
you are spoiling your lunch and behaving like a mistrustful and fearful
person. Most undignified.

Sliding down the slope on your arse, because the liftie won't/can't let
you download, is also undignified.

Do you lock your doors at night, or does it prevent you from sleeping,
being so untrustful?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old January 24th 05, 12:26 PM
Sammy

LOL.
If the thief hadn't taken your skis because they were locked, say, they
would have taken someone elses (we all agree on that). So you've just
shifted the problem along to some other poor blameless sod. Eventually
we will all have to lock our skis up whenever we stop for a break -
which is worse than the original problem, IMO.

Yes, of course I keep them safe over night, because the safety in
numbers theory doesn't work then does it? A rack of hundreds of skis
outside a mountain restaurant in full view of the diners is a pretty
safe place to leave your skis unlocked. Down in the town, the
opportunistic thief is less likely to be observed (or more to the point
may know full well that noone can observe him). In the mountain
restaurant scenario he can never be completely sure someone isn't
watching him and he can't make as quick a get away as he could in town.
Sammy

Old January 24th 05, 12:56 PM
Sammy

Misread your second line (oops): I'm not sure the two (locking your
house at night and your skis at lunchtime) are logically related in any
way.
But now you mention it, I expect the risks of someone trying your door
at night are not worth worrying about either.

Sammy

Old January 24th 05, 06:12 PM
KMM

"pete devlin" wrote in message

This year I saw the swapped ski method fail leaving two angry people
with one useless ski each. Fortunately the thief realised his mistake
within 100yds and we found the discarded skis the next morning. Any
further and they would never have been found.

Emmm, that's a success then is it not? I never claimed it was foolproof,
just a bit of a deterrent.

K.

Old January 24th 05, 09:08 PM
pete devlin

In message , KMM writes

"pete devlin" wrote in message

This year I saw the swapped ski method fail leaving two angry people
with one useless ski each. Fortunately the thief realised his mistake
within 100yds and we found the discarded skis the next morning. Any
further and they would never have been found.

Emmm, that's a success then is it not? I never claimed it was foolproof,
just a bit of a deterrent.

Hardly a success. They were stolen. The guys were just lucky that we did
a search around a big area whilst they were down the cop shop reporting
it.
Deterrence is all you can achieve really, if a thief wants them, he'll
have them. If you have to stand guard 24/7 it's not worth going.
My sarcasm was directed at the fact that most people here have skied for
years, they were splitting their skis up when the only way you could
tell skis apart was the different grain patterns!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 24th 05, 10:16 PM
Champ

On 24 Jan 2005 03:31:32 -0800, "Sammy" wrote:

Because by even thinking "my skis will be stolen if I don't do this"
you are spoiling your lunch and behaving like a mistrustful and fearful
person. Most undignified.

Unfashionable tho it is, I subscribe to this view. Frankly, I think
I'd rather take the small chance that my board will be stolen than
spoil every single lunch stop on the mountain.

The same reasoning leads me to not have smoke detectors in my house.
--
Champ