A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 7th 13, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

Getting a jump on the spring...

I'm intrigued by videos of Ski-Go's classic rollerski that has natural looking "flex" with every kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w-K9jlkAE) Seems like this would make it a lot easier on the joints than pounding a kick into a stiff aluminum shaft.

The problem is, the video also makes it look like the wheels are pretty fast (and other reviews confirm it's faster than Swenor or V2's slow wheels).

So, just trolling for any feedback people might have on the different state-of-the-art classic roller skis out there. I'm looking for something that is slow enough to be able do diagonal stride up a mild uphill along with having a flexy shaft for absorbing both vibration and impact forces of the kick. (Nice to have is something that would roll over bumps without catching..)

Specific contenders seem to be:

- Ski-Go Carbon 780
- Swenor Fiberglass Cap (with "wheel speed 3")
- V2 Terra (with composite shaft) or standard V2 910 with composite shaft


Thanks in advance,

Jon
Ads
  #2  
Old March 7th 13, 06:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

How about Marwe, either the 700C or 800C? I've been using the 800C for
over a decade. Composite shafts (also non composite models) and built
in speed control (like a governor old VWs used to have). The 800C
is the longest on the market and great for a taller person. See
http://www.marwestore.com/ and
http://www.finnsisu.com/shop/Rollerskis.14

Gene


On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:09:28 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

Getting a jump on the spring...

I'm intrigued by videos of Ski-Go's classic rollerski that has
natural looking "flex" with every kick
(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w-K9jlkAE) Seems like this would
make it a lot easier on the joints than pounding a kick into a stiff
aluminum shaft.

The problem is, the video also makes it look like the wheels are
pretty fast (and other reviews confirm it's faster than Swenor or
V2's slow wheels).

So, just trolling for any feedback people might have on the different
state-of-the-art classic roller skis out there. I'm looking for
something that is slow enough to be able do diagonal stride up a mild
uphill along with having a flexy shaft for absorbing both vibration
and impact forces of the kick. (Nice to have is something that would
roll over bumps without catching.)

Specific contenders seem to be:

- Ski-Go Carbon 780
- Swenor Fiberglass Cap (with "wheel speed 3")
- V2 Terra (with composite shaft) or standard V2 910 with composite
shaft


Thanks in advance,

Jon

  #3  
Old March 7th 13, 08:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

Gene:

thanks for the suggestion. I really don't know much about Marwe's and the Finn Sisu site doesn't give much info. 800C's look intimidatingly exotic... Any feedback on how the speed compares with V2 910 wheel?

Jon


On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:48:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
How about Marwe, either the 700C or 800C? I've been using the 800C for

over a decade. Composite shafts (also non composite models) and built

in speed control (like a governor old VWs used to have). The 800C

is the longest on the market and great for a taller person. See

http://www.marwestore.com/ and

http://www.finnsisu.com/shop/Rollerskis.14



Gene





On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:09:28 -0800 (PST)





Getting a jump on the spring...




I'm intrigued by videos of Ski-Go's classic rollerski that has


natural looking "flex" with every kick


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w-K9jlkAE) Seems like this would


make it a lot easier on the joints than pounding a kick into a stiff


aluminum shaft.




The problem is, the video also makes it look like the wheels are


pretty fast (and other reviews confirm it's faster than Swenor or


V2's slow wheels).




So, just trolling for any feedback people might have on the different


state-of-the-art classic roller skis out there. I'm looking for


something that is slow enough to be able do diagonal stride up a mild


uphill along with having a flexy shaft for absorbing both vibration


and impact forces of the kick. (Nice to have is something that would


roll over bumps without catching.)




Specific contenders seem to be:




- Ski-Go Carbon 780


- Swenor Fiberglass Cap (with "wheel speed 3")


- V2 Terra (with composite shaft) or standard V2 910 with composite


shaft






Thanks in advance,




Jon

  #4  
Old March 7th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

The V2 910 is probably the slowest wheel around, a speed Len Johnson
use to recommend to elite athletes; for all others he suggested the 930
or sometimes the 920. Marwe's 610 skate is probably the most widely
used rollerski by elites and masters in the U.S., except perhaps in the
east where Jenex is located. It's also popular among some European
teams (lots more brand competition though). I'm not sure about how
widely used the classic versions are outside the upper midwest (where
Finn Sisu is located and used to run masters programs). Elites favor
the single body 700, while the 800, which is the Marwe Combi with a
removable wirewheel attachment, is popular among others. I sold my 930s
a couple of years ago, but as I recall the 800C's ride is much better
and its speed is comparable, perhaps a touch faster. Nothing dangerous
in itself - I'm no daredevil - especially with that limiter in the
bearing.

Gene

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:03:13 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

Gene:

thanks for the suggestion. I really don't know much about Marwe's
and the Finn Sisu site doesn't give much info. 800C's look
intimidatingly exotic... Any feedback on how the speed compares with
V2 910 wheel?

Jon


On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:48:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
How about Marwe, either the 700C or 800C? I've been using the 800C
for

over a decade. Composite shafts (also non composite models) and
built

in speed control (like a governor old VWs used to have). The 800C

is the longest on the market and great for a taller person. See

http://www.marwestore.com/ and

http://www.finnsisu.com/shop/Rollerskis.14



Gene





On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:09:28 -0800 (PST)





Getting a jump on the spring...




I'm intrigued by videos of Ski-Go's classic rollerski that has


natural looking "flex" with every kick


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w-K9jlkAE) Seems like this
would


make it a lot easier on the joints than pounding a kick into a
stiff


aluminum shaft.




The problem is, the video also makes it look like the wheels are


pretty fast (and other reviews confirm it's faster than Swenor or


V2's slow wheels).




So, just trolling for any feedback people might have on the
different


state-of-the-art classic roller skis out there. I'm looking for


something that is slow enough to be able do diagonal stride up a
mild


uphill along with having a flexy shaft for absorbing both
vibration


and impact forces of the kick. (Nice to have is something that
would


roll over bumps without catching.)




Specific contenders seem to be:




- Ski-Go Carbon 780


- Swenor Fiberglass Cap (with "wheel speed 3")


- V2 Terra (with composite shaft) or standard V2 910 with
composite


shaft






Thanks in advance,




Jon

  #5  
Old March 7th 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2


The V2 910 is probably the slowest wheel around,


That's kind of what worries me about moving away from a V2 roller ski. I'm not at all in phenomenal shape, but have decent technique, and even with the 910 wheels I find myself kick double-poling or double-poling more than I'd like and overall don't feel like I'm getting much of a workout (I.e., roller-skiing feels more like biking on flats in terms of aerobic training, than it feels like true snow skiing.)

On the other hand, I'm not surprised when you say the Marwe's have a better ride. I'm picking up hints here and there that making a composite ski shaft isn't so straightforward and that Jenex may still be on the early part of the learning curve. Others like Swenor and Ski-Go have been at it longer and may offer a more mature product as a result...
  #6  
Old March 8th 13, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 572
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

You must be undersestimating yourself. The 910 wheels provide
substantial resistance - I injured myself using them - which means you
are either very strong, running your heart rate up well above L1, or
mistaken about which wheels you have. Where are you located? If you
can borrow a pair, or can visit the Twin Cities for a demo, give them
a try.

Gene


On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:01:20 -0800 (PST)
wrote:


The V2 910 is probably the slowest wheel around,


That's kind of what worries me about moving away from a V2 roller
ski. I'm not at all in phenomenal shape, but have decent technique,
and even with the 910 wheels I find myself kick double-poling or
double-poling more than I'd like and overall don't feel like I'm
getting much of a workout (I.e., roller-skiing feels more like biking
on flats in terms of aerobic training, than it feels like true snow
skiing.)

On the other hand, I'm not surprised when you say the Marwe's have a
better ride. I'm picking up hints here and there that making a
composite ski shaft isn't so straightforward and that Jenex may still
be on the early part of the learning curve. Others like Swenor and
Ski-Go have been at it longer and may offer a more mature product as
a result...

  #7  
Old May 11th 13, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

For what it's worth, I have some experience with both V2 and Swenor.

I have a pair of the original V2-900s with steel shaft and VERY slow wheels that I use from on a hill right outside of my house. They have no brakes, but the wheels are slow enough that I can ski back done the hill without too much danger of getting out of control (just a little alpine-type back and forth).

The pair I use most are Swenor Fiberglass with the medium-speed wheels. I use these nearly every day from my office on a flat 10-mile ski along the Charles River in Boston. Although these wheels are notably faster than the ones on my V2-900s I definitely don't feel like I'm not getting a sufficient workout!! There is often a 10+ mph headwind along the river and I really would not want to work any harder than I do at those times. Another more personal comment is that I enjoy the exhilaration of being able to ski reasonably fast on these skis, getting a satisfying return for my effort. It's that fun aspect that keeps me out there every day.
  #8  
Old May 13th 13, 11:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

Jim:

Thanks very much for the feedback. Your point is well taken about keeping the fun aspect of skiing with roller-skiing...

Here are two good articles I found that discuss wheel speed:
- http://www.xcottawa.ca/articles.php?id=614
- http://skitrax.com/43512/

Both seem to conclude that the best approach is to be Kikkan Randall and have rollerski companies give you a bunch of different models of different speeds.

I had a chance to try the Ski-Go Carbon Classic roller skis and they're incredible (night and day improvement over aluminum shafts). You can really feel subtilties of classic timing and the flex makes the ski very comfortable on bumpy roads. They are very fast though--a small hill I usually do a quick double-pole sprint up (close to a max effort) didn't feel like anything on the Ski-Go's. FWIW, Boulder Nordic reports that next year Ski-Go hopes to offer wheels of different speeds.

On Swenor, they actually offer a #4 ("extra slow") wheel option also, but Mr. Swenor at Swix said even Kris Freeman finds them too slow (which is interesting since the fact that Swenor makes them in the first place indicates that somebody in Scandinavia thinks they're a good thing to train on.)

Personally, I think Ski-Go's will be the ideal once they offer slower wheel options (seems too risky now to be locked into just one (fast) speed). Runner up options seems to be Swenor Fiberglass and switching between #2 and#3 wheels . (Boulder Nordic guy thought Swenor's were close to Ski-Go in terms of overall performance.)

Jon


On Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:25:46 AM UTC-4, Jim wrote:
For what it's worth, I have some experience with both V2 and Swenor.



I have a pair of the original V2-900s with steel shaft and VERY slow wheels that I use from on a hill right outside of my house. They have no brakes, but the wheels are slow enough that I can ski back done the hill without too much danger of getting out of control (just a little alpine-type back and forth).



The pair I use most are Swenor Fiberglass with the medium-speed wheels. I use these nearly every day from my office on a flat 10-mile ski along the Charles River in Boston. Although these wheels are notably faster than the ones on my V2-900s I definitely don't feel like I'm not getting a sufficient workout!! There is often a 10+ mph headwind along the river and I really would not want to work any harder than I do at those times. Another more personal comment is that I enjoy the exhilaration of being able to ski reasonably fast on these skis, getting a satisfying return for my effort. It's that fun aspect that keeps me out there every day.

  #9  
Old August 7th 13, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Matthew Koff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

I have the V2 classic 920 xlc which actually I found to be great, they are smooth, allow great striding and I love the front ratchet wheel. I have a speed reducer on it which around where I live allows for more long distance options. But is very awkward to use on the fly unlike the XL98 or XL 9848 options.

I thought I would get a new pair that didn't have a brake but had a better on snow feel for working on technique. I purchased the SkiGo from Boulder Nordic Sport and they had the NIS plate on them which I thought to be great. Boy they look beautiful but when I jumped on them I was not as happy as I thought.

I am not sure what your thoughts are on the rear ratchet wheel, But I tend to like the front ratchet wheel for my kick timing. And Kick double pole timing.

And unfortunately, they track horribly downhills. When I wear them they are all over the place going downhill. I have switched feet, banged the front fork and not making much better. I haven't made a Jig yet and gone that route. But they are not all that I felt they are cracked up to be based on the reviews that I have read. I am very unhappy and really now wonder why I even did this when the V2 are great and are smooth and stable bombing down the hills.

Any suggestions? I think BNS will take them back but sad about it.

I would stick with the V2 920 or whatever wheel speed you want. If you want a rough terrain ski then go with the V2 9848 they are bomb proof.






On Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54:36 AM UTC-4, Jon wrote:
Jim:



Thanks very much for the feedback. Your point is well taken about keeping the fun aspect of skiing with roller-skiing...



Here are two good articles I found that discuss wheel speed:

- http://www.xcottawa.ca/articles.php?id=614

- http://skitrax.com/43512/



Both seem to conclude that the best approach is to be Kikkan Randall and have rollerski companies give you a bunch of different models of different speeds.



I had a chance to try the Ski-Go Carbon Classic roller skis and they're incredible (night and day improvement over aluminum shafts). You can really feel subtilties of classic timing and the flex makes the ski very comfortable on bumpy roads. They are very fast though--a small hill I usually do a quick double-pole sprint up (close to a max effort) didn't feel like anything on the Ski-Go's. FWIW, Boulder Nordic reports that next year Ski-Go hopes to offer wheels of different speeds.



On Swenor, they actually offer a #4 ("extra slow") wheel option also, but Mr. Swenor at Swix said even Kris Freeman finds them too slow (which is interesting since the fact that Swenor makes them in the first place indicates that somebody in Scandinavia thinks they're a good thing to train on.)



Personally, I think Ski-Go's will be the ideal once they offer slower wheel options (seems too risky now to be locked into just one (fast) speed). Runner up options seems to be Swenor Fiberglass and switching between #2 and#3 wheels . (Boulder Nordic guy thought Swenor's were close to Ski-Go in terms of overall performance.)



Jon





On Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:25:46 AM UTC-4, Jim wrote:

For what it's worth, I have some experience with both V2 and Swenor.








I have a pair of the original V2-900s with steel shaft and VERY slow wheels that I use from on a hill right outside of my house. They have no brakes, but the wheels are slow enough that I can ski back done the hill without too much danger of getting out of control (just a little alpine-type back and forth).








The pair I use most are Swenor Fiberglass with the medium-speed wheels. I use these nearly every day from my office on a flat 10-mile ski along the Charles River in Boston. Although these wheels are notably faster than the ones on my V2-900s I definitely don't feel like I'm not getting a sufficient workout!! There is often a 10+ mph headwind along the river and I really would not want to work any harder than I do at those times. Another more personal comment is that I enjoy the exhilaration of being able to ski reasonably fast on these skis, getting a satisfying return for my effort. It's that fun aspect that keeps me out there every day.

  #10  
Old August 9th 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 50
Default Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

Matt:

I've seen discussions on the tracking issue with the SkiGo somewhere on the intertubes, so you may want to look around. (And I'm assuming BNS could fix them for you.) If you have a strong preference for ratchet up front, are you able to just switch the wheels? Anything else you're unhappy about with the SkiGo's???

I've been quite pleased with Swenor's (with #3 wheel)--got just what I was looking for in terms of very smooth ski (really feels like on snow--easy on the joints) and enough resistance to be able to comfortably do diagonal stride on flattish terrain.

I had the ratcheted wheel up front on my V2 9000's (which are actually longer than the SkiGo's) and thought that was critical, but don't notice any real difference in terms of training effect with ratchet on back with Swenor's (may be due to the flex of the shaft).
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanted classic roller skis dwall Nordic Skiing 0 April 10th 10 08:49 PM
Classic Sprint - skate skis & classic poles [email protected] Nordic Skiing 8 January 25th 08 11:50 PM
V2 Retro classic roller skis on ebay. [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 October 16th 07 05:54 PM
What are your favorite classic roller skis and why? mountainwalker Nordic Skiing 7 July 8th 07 03:17 PM
Used Classic Roller Skis Brian Dumais Nordic Skiing 0 November 30th 04 06:31 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.