Has anyone ever adapted skate boots for summer rollerskiing with holes/mesh

Old August 6th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default Has anyone ever adapted skate boots for summer rollerskiing with holes/mesh

Has anyone successfully adapted a pair of skate boots for summer, by
just punching out neat holes or putting in mesh windows, to keep the
boots cooler in hot weather?

Old August 6th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

"mountainwalker" schreef in bericht
ps.com...
Has anyone successfully adapted a pair of skate boots for summer, by
just punching out neat holes or putting in mesh windows, to keep the
boots cooler in hot weather?

I kept myself from posting the same question, thank you :-)

Still to buy my first pair of boots, but the fact that no summer boots exist
with quite a few rollerskiers, amazes me. Even my designed-fot-summer
Crosskates make me toast with the slightest sun out.

Old August 7th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Hey Jan,

The only answer I've ever gotten to this question is - "it's just hot -
that's the way it is. You only have to wear the boots for 45 min - 1
1/2 hours at a time training, so it's no big deal." However, were
there more people in the sport, I'm certain there would be a breathable
summer boot. I can't imagine that serious professional athletes don't
modify a pair of boots for warm weather training. It's expensive to
buy another pair of boots, but if you train/exercise often in warm
weather, it's got to be well worth it. My old pair of roller skates
were also super hot in warm weather.

Old August 7th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

The Skike (www.skike.at I think) has an open binding in which you wear your
own favorite sneakers or walking shoes, and it supposedly gives a good
rollerski ride. A few rare but positive reviews out there on the
German-speaking www.

The supply and demand side of a popular but unavailable product like this...
I've come to believe that in sports like cycling and XC skiing, a product
will not happen unless someone at a manufacturer comes up with it all by
him/herself. Companies don't respond to demand for truly new products, just
what the competition is selling and what comes from their own ideas. Other's
ideas are dismissed.

"mountainwalker" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old August 8th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

Do a google search for summer roller ski boots. I have some and know how to
get good mesh combi/classic summer boots taht are NNNII.

Years ago we'd punch holes in our leather Suveren boots- but that was
pre-skating.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

ps.com...