SLC resorts logistics

Old November 2nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default SLC resorts logistics

wrote:

Paid $93 for a three-day lift ticket good at all four of the SLC
resorts. At that price, the bus is as close to free as it's going to
get!

Ok. You've got three days to visit four resorts. One doesn't allow
snowboards, so that's out. So, spend one day at each of the other
three and form you own opinion. Simple problem, simple solution.

// Walt

Old November 2nd 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.alpine
eric h

In article om,
wrote:

Well, if the blues are "holy crap" and the blacks are "time to clean
the lift chair," I guess there are always the greens.

I think the terrain has expanded a bit since I last skied at Snowbird
15+ years ago. But I'm sure there's a nice easy green run somewhere
at Snowbird, the kind that would be a nice groomed cruiser at most
other western resorts.

I didn't find it, mind you, but I'm sure it's there. I would have
looked more, but my knees were worn out from the green runs.

--
---
"Wake up, everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen
Old November 20th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.alpine

wrote:

Questions:
1. I've read that Brighton should be avoided on Saturdays because it
gets quite crowded from turnout by the locals, but that Sundays are
better because people attend church. True? I realize that the entire
weekend is going to be very busy because it's a holiday; I'm just
looking for whatever edge remains.
2. How long does it take the free ski bus to get from downtown SLC to
the four Cottonwood Canyon resorts? Is there a direct bus to each
resort, or is transferring necessary? What time do the buses stop
running the return trips from the resorts to SLC? We would like to
avoid renting a car since there's already a free shuttle from the
airport to the hotel. If the ski bus is adequate, that would seem the
way to go.
3. Comments/suggestions on anything else would be welcomed.

Thanks a lot,

Joe Ramirez

Joe,

Here's the deal. My family moved to Park City in '88, I've worked in
hospitality in PC for 10 years, and have settled into mostly Deer
Valley over the last 7. I've skied and ridden all resorts in Northern
Utah. They are all going to be absolutely nuts that weekend. Let me
share with you that the bookings have been gaining momentum over the
last few years at an exponential rate. This, of course, translates into
absolute pandemonium on the hill.

My advice to you: Snowbird is rad, as are the other Cottonwood
resorts. BUT, days spent at these resorts need to be chosen carefully.
I did, however, ride Brighton over President's in '04, and once I got
away from the bottom the crowds weren't so bad. So, here it is, I
don't care what anybody else says. If nightlife isn't the crux of your
trip, I'd look into going up north to Snowbasin/Powder Mountain. Check
'em out at skiutah.com. And, don't tell anybody I told you this
because they'll come after me. Powder Mountain is awesome, and make
sure you stop in the Hidden Lake Lodge for one of the best ski resort
$5 burgers you'll ever cram in your hole. At Snowbasin, make your way
over to the Strawberry Express Gondola...and ENJOY!!!

Otherwise, have a great time with everybody and their god damned dog in
the
Cottonwoods. And, even though I sell it for a living, I wouldn't ski
the PC areas over this period if you paid me. Oh wait, that is part of
what I get paid to do. But, I don't like it...really.

Good luck.

Old November 20th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.alpine

j wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I appreciate your suggestions and recognize the good sense in what you
say. However, as I noted, our options are limited by two important
constraints:
1. We can't easily make this trip at a less busy time because my
brother-in-law is a teacher, and my son is a student, so they need the
three-day holiday weekend to avoid too much missed time.
2. We've already purchased our multi-day lift passes for the Cottonwood
Canyon resorts and can't just toss them out.

I don't doubt that Snowbird et al. will be a madhouse that weekend, but
I'm sure if we had gone to, say, Breckenridge, it would also be a
madhouse. Heck, our local resort will probably be a madhouse as well --
*if* it's cold and there's good snow. (That's the difference between
Utah and Pennsylvania -- we can't always count on the snow.)

I do hope, however, that others read your recommendation of Snowbasin
and Powder Mountain and head up there -- maybe it will reduce the
population in the canyons.

Joe Ramirez

Old November 20th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Joe, you're certainly rigth that Breckenridge would be insane during
the Prez weekend, but to say Snowboid wont...well you'll see.

Simple fact is they're ALL (Utxx, Colorado...ALL) nuts that time. If
you can't avoid it, then you can't avoid but it...but trust the above
words. You'll feel like just as much of a sardine as you did when you
skid Hunter Mountain or Killington back in "the day".

Tahoe resorts Mike Mather Snowboarding 5 November 2nd 06 01:32 PM
Purchasing Ski Resorts funkraum European Ski Resorts 24 March 13th 05 10:43 PM
Tahoe area resorts, how does Boreal stack up? Lisa Horton Alpine Skiing 2 April 23rd 04 04:54 PM
Suggestions on ski resorts around Englewood, ma (zip 02673) Y North American Ski Resorts 0 February 17th 04 01:35 AM
Season pass for multiple resorts Alan van Wyk European Ski Resorts 6 November 25th 03 08:42 PM