Aspen questions

Old September 23rd 05, 08:35 AM
phm

Default Aspen questions

Hello, I'm a Brit. My friend and I are looking to do our first ski trip to
the US, usually we ski in Europe. By the standards of this group we're not
brilliant skiers but we're both very confident and fast on groomed runs of
any steepness, not so good (read bad) off-piste (want to get better). Also,
we cover alot of miles in the day.

We've pretty much decided on Aspen. I know it's considered overly expensive
/ ritzy but we're spending alot on flights anyway and we figure given the
type of skiers we are that its the place to go so I hope this doesn't turn
into a 'I hate Aspen' thread. Though if you have a real reason not to go
there or can suggest somewhere better given the type of skiers we are (&
we're definitely not interested in the ritzy nightlife - a decent bar with
good beer & somewhere to get a nice steak is sufficient) I'd be interested
in hearing your opinions.

We're planning on about 10 days at the end of Jan.

My questions are as follows:

1. we fly to Denver and then will likely take the United flight to Aspen. Is
that service reliable (ie what's the likelihood of a flight being cancelled
due to bad weather) that time of year.

2.We picked that time of year cuz accommodation seems to be cheaper & it
might be quieter. Is it cheaper that time of year cuz the snow is less
reliable / weather more likely to be lousy or just cuz its a quiet time of
year?

3. Given the type of skiers we are, does Aspen seem the right place to go?
Also are we likely to spend much time skiing Snowmass, and if so would it be
better to find accommodation there?

4. Lift tickets. Price on the web for 10 days is $700 which seems v.
expensive to me. Any tips on getting cheaper deals?

5. Any recommendation on accommodation? Just want somewhere close to the
lifts.

6. Anything else

thanks

Old September 23rd 05, 10:09 AM
dizzy

"phm" wrote in message
Hello, I'm a Brit. My friend and I are looking to do our first ski trip to
the US, usually we ski in Europe.

snip

We're planning on about 10 days at the end of Jan.

Maybe I could give you a couple of tips. I'm also from Europe and made this
year my first time visit to Aspen in the first week of January.

My questions are as follows:

1. we fly to Denver and then will likely take the United flight to Aspen.
Is that service reliable (ie what's the likelihood of a flight being
cancelled due to bad weather) that time of year.

We booked a 4x4 rent-a-car at Denver Intl airport in advance and got a good
deal. Imo you real need that type of car to have the required mobility in
Aspen-Snowmass area. While I was there, on bad weather days Aspen airport
shut down and people were bussed from Denver. They told us it wasn't a
pleasent experience at all.

2.We picked that time of year cuz accommodation seems to be cheaper & it
might be quieter. Is it cheaper that time of year cuz the snow is less
reliable / weather more likely to be lousy or just cuz its a quiet time of
year?

I had first hand experience of what champagne powder is about. Absolutely
stunning, nothing to be compared in Europe. Locals told me that in January &
February you get best snow conditions. March is high season cause days get
warmer but it can get icy.

3. Given the type of skiers we are, does Aspen seem the right place to go?
Also are we likely to spend much time skiing Snowmass, and if so would it
be better to find accommodation there?

Yes, Snowmass is a paradise for beginners & intermediates. You get a lot of
convenience as almost all condos are ski in ski out. Nothing like that in
Aspen.

4. Lift tickets. Price on the web for 10 days is $700 which seems v.
expensive to me. Any tips on getting cheaper deals?

I bought my 7 days ticket in advance on Expedia and got 30% off the regular
price.

5. Any recommendation on accommodation? Just want somewhere close to the
lifts.

Anything in Snowmass will do, more or less. Accommodation in Aspen close to
the Ajax gondola tends to be quite expensive. Ajax is anyway not a place for
beginners or timid intermediates.

6. Anything else

It's the most charming and most expensive ski resort I've ever been.

thanks

Old September 23rd 05, 01:08 PM
phm

dizzy wrote:
"phm" wrote in message

great info: thanks for your response

Old September 23rd 05, 01:34 PM
Ernie

"phm" wrote in message
[...]

Regarding transportation: the Aspen-Snowmass area has very good public
transportation system of buses, including free skier buses between the 4 ski
areas running frequently. While we usually rent a car in Denver or Eagle
(near Vail) airports, we very seldom use that car while staying in Snowmass.
We take the bus to Aspen for skiing or for dining.

Regarding slopes: Snowmass is the best place to go for beginning and
intermediate skiers, with excellent grooming. On the other hand, Aspen
mountain has no green (easiest) slopes.

If you are into the party scene, you will probably find Snowmass quiet, and
Aspen very lively.

Regarding lodging: if you are interested in a hotel room, the Wildwood
Lodge, http://www.wildwood-lodge.com/, is probably the most economical place
in Snowmass. Wildwood is located about 100 feet from the slope, in the very
center of Snowmass. The breakfasts are very good, but the place can be a
bit noisy, especially on weekends. The Silvertree Hotel (same web-site as
Wildwood) is right on the slope, next to Wildwood. Silvertree is more
upscale than the Wildwood.

There is a very large number of other accommodations in Snowmass and in
Aspen. You can locate just about all of them by using Google.com (search
for lodging Snowmass, or lodging Aspen).

Regarding crowds: we have been skiing in Snowmass/Aspen/Highlands/Buttermilk
for 30 years. Lift lines are generally short or non-except for the gondola
at the busiest time. We frequently go to other ski areas as well, many of
which do have more crowds. And regardless of what you do, do NOT go to Vail
on the weekend!

Purchasing lift-tickets in advance can save about 10%, but lift tickets in
the US are very expensive. On the other hand, the lifts are very good, and
most places do not have long lift lines.

Have a great trip,

Ernie

Old September 23rd 05, 08:21 PM
DZN

The Wildwood, while not fancy, is definitely the best value around the area.
Although its walk on/and walk off (not ski on/ski off), for a couple of
bucks you can leave our skis at the slope over night so you don't have to
carry them. Also, I'm pretty certain that you can use the work out room at
the Silvertree (next door) for a nominal fee.

Old September 23rd 05, 10:58 PM
bdubya

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:35:31 +0100, "phm" wrote:

[...]

If you prefer groomers, and if you're there for the skiing instead of
the nightlife and shopping, stay in Snowmass and do most of your
skiing there. There's much more walk-to-lift (and ski-in/out) lodging
available, and a bigger ski area with a lot more groomed terrain (no
shortage of off-piste, either). Free shuttle bus is available to
Aspen Mountain and to Aspen Highlands (which IMHO has better skiing).
Seems like the dollar is sinking against the pound these days - lucky
you. Enjoy.

bw
Old September 24th 05, 03:53 AM
Dave Stallard

phm wrote:

1. we fly to Denver and then will likely take the United flight to

Aspen. Is
that service reliable (ie what's the likelihood of a flight being

cancelled
due to bad weather) that time of year.

I'm 2 for 2 on flying into Sardy Field. Though the last time a front
was coming in just behind us. Ground transport from Denver airport is
grueling, though I've done that too.

2.We picked that time of year cuz accommodation seems to be cheaper &

it
might be quieter. Is it cheaper that time of year cuz the snow is less
reliable / weather more likely to be lousy or just cuz its a quiet

time of
year?

It's because of the lull between the holidays and winter vacation.

3. Given the type of skiers we are, does Aspen seem the right place

to go?
Also are we likely to spend much time skiing Snowmass, and if so

would it be
better to find accommodation there?

Given the type of skier you are, Snowmass will be your best and
excellent bet. Aspen Mtn (aka Ajax) and Aspen Highlands are much smaller
areas. Snowmass has much more groomed terrain, and more terrain,
period. The other two are better for steeps. Highlands has
double-black Highlands Bowl, which is hike-to. But Snowmass has some
scary looking double-black terrain too. Buttermilk is the 4th mountain,
which is more of a beginner hill; I've never been there.

I haven't stayed up at Snowmass Village, only in town. Probably
staying up at Snowmass will be cheaper. There is free shuttle service
between the two late into the night. Snowmass Village does have
restaurants and stuff, but less selection, and it's kind of an
artificially constructed place Staying at Snowmass with nightlife in
Aspen is probably feasible, though I'd be inclined to stay in Aspen
myself.

Restaurants are expensive. Wild Fig, Elevation, Cache Cache are
reasonable choices, though of course expensive. Telluride kicks
Aspen's ass in terms of food, IHMO.

4. Lift tickets. Price on the web for 10 days is $700 which seems v.
expensive to me. Any tips on getting cheaper deals?

WTF?? That's $70/day, which is almost the rack rate. Aren't you buying
the lift tix as part of a package? You should be able to get a break.

5. Any recommendation on accommodation? Just want somewhere close to

the
lifts.

I've stayed most recently at St. MOritz Lodge, which was reasonable,
though a bit far from the center of things. Still, easy to walk to
them. They have a selection, from dorm-type lodging to $200/night
rooms. Large heated pool which they call a hot tub. This is
considered moderate for Aspen!

I've also heard good things about the Limelight and the
Molly Gibson (?).

If you stay in town, there are buses to the various hills running
frequently, though it pays to check the schedule to optimize your wait
time.

6. Anything else

If you stay in town, use the $3/night ski storage at Snowmass. For $2
more, they will transport your skiis overnight to the other mountain of
your choice. You can also rent a locker in the rental shop below the
ski storage area, and stash your boots there. It seemed like you could
keep your stuff in there multiple nights, and not pay more than 1 night
(or maybe they were just making a mistake).

Main St. Bakery in Aspen is great for pastries to get you going in the AM.

Big Burn is a good bet for wide open space, though maybe not the first
day, because it's the highest altitude. I liked the Elk Camp area a
lot too. You'll find lots and lots of cruiser terrain. Two Creeks is
really flat at the bottom. Sam's Knob has steeper terrain. Campground
lift is slooow.

Snowmass has many on-mountain eateries. I really liked Up 4 Pizza at
the top of Big Burn. Relaxed atmosphere, not many people. Ullr Lodge
lower down is pretty good. Cafe Suzanne was good. Didn't like Gwynn's
High Alpine.
Old September 24th 05, 03:25 PM
phm

phm wrote:

thanks everyone for your responses, very helpful.

We've decided to stay in Snowmass.

Still not sure re transportation - either hire a 4x4 from Denver / risk the
flight to Aspen / or fly via Dallas to Eagle/Vail then get a bus (or
something) to Snowmass

4x4 rental from Denver looks most likely.

Old September 24th 05, 07:56 PM
bdubya

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:25:19 +0100, "phm" wrote:

phm wrote:

thanks everyone for your responses, very helpful.

We've decided to stay in Snowmass.

Still not sure re transportation - either hire a 4x4 from Denver / risk the
flight to Aspen / or fly via Dallas to Eagle/Vail then get a bus (or
something) to Snowmass

4x4 rental from Denver looks most likely.

For a several-day trip, the 4x rental will probably cost a lot more
than the extra airfare to Aspen. Between the local bus, airport
shuttles and the pedestrian-friendly character of Snowmass village,
you can get by quite nicely without your own wheels while you're
there, unless you want to do some motor-touring of the region.

bw
Old September 25th 05, 12:13 AM
ant

phm wrote:

We've decided to stay in Snowmass.

Snowmass got rated number 4 in the SKI magazine resort ratings! Got to be a
reason for that. You should have a good time.

What about taking a shuttle from Denver? They are quite good.

--
ant