fluoro grip waxe

Old December 31st 04, 03:42 PM
Tim Dudley

Default fluoro grip waxe

Somebody please tell me again why I should use fluoro grip wax. My
experience with it is that I get great glide and practically no grip, in all
conditions. Is there a Secret Method to applying it? Seems as though
anything that costs that much more than regular grip wax should have more
benefit.

Thanks -

Tim
Old December 31st 04, 04:46 PM
Marsh Jones

Tim Dudley wrote:
Somebody please tell me again why I should use fluoro grip wax. My
experience with it is that I get great glide and practically no grip, in all
conditions. Is there a Secret Method to applying it? Seems as though
anything that costs that much more than regular grip wax should have more
benefit.

Thanks -

Tim

Tim,

I don't know which wax you are working with, but from my experience the
last two seasons, I'm pretty sold on the Swix VR waxes. I don't know
that under 'ideal' conditions, the grip is any better than good ol' blue
(green, violet, etc) but it seems to work well on a wider range of snow
conditions and temps [for a given wax]. It does wear well. I still had
wax left after Mora last year (42K and pretty abrasive).
My biggest question at this point is: if I were focusing on just 6 cans
of Toko/Rex/Holmenkollen, would I get the same results?

Marsh
Old December 31st 04, 05:20 PM
George Cleveland

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:46:24 -0600, Marsh Jones
wrote:

Tim Dudley wrote:
[...]

I stocked up on the old Swix VF line when it was discontinued. They
have always worked well for me. I wonder if you (Tim) are using a iron
to smooth your wax. IIRC that is a no-no as it makes the flouro
migrate to the surface and radically diminishes kick.

g.c.
Old December 31st 04, 05:59 PM
Rob Bradlee

Toko was the first company to abandon fluorinated kick waxes for the
very reason you describe - it is hard to get good enough grip with them
(but they have awesome glide). Instead of fluoro, Toko made the
"Carbon" line of wax that used a denser hydrocarbon base that resists
icing and gives the nice glide of fluoro, but still gives great grip.
I'd suggest buying one stick of Toko Carbon and see if that performs
better than your fluorinated kick wax - you might just have to toss the
old stuff. I believe Swix adopted the same concept with their Crystal
line of wax so if you want to use Swix that's the stuff to try.

Rob Bradlee
Toko Tech Team

--- Marsh Jones wrote:

Tim Dudley wrote:
[...]

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old December 31st 04, 10:55 PM
Greg Fangel

"Tim Dudley" wrote in message
Somebody please tell me again why I should use fluoro grip wax. My
experience with it is that I get great glide and practically no grip, in

all
conditions. Is there a Secret Method to applying it? Seems as though
anything that costs that much more than regular grip wax should have more
benefit.

Tim,

I have always used the Swix flouro kick waxes, starting with the XF series
from the 1994 Olympics. I now use Swix VR series. The flouro waxes are a
little more soft that regular kick waxes too. They do have good glide and a
wider range of temps. Sometimes I used the regular (non flouro) kick waxes
for low humidity and cold snow.

The method that I use to apply the kick wax is the same that is recommended
for all kick waxes. Multiple, thin layers, corked in between each layer.

Greg Fangel