What happened (long)

Old September 14th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Default What happened (long)

Phil Launchbury wrote:
In article , Hog wrote:
Phil Launchbury wrote:

I once had a go in a microlight (basically a canoe with a wing
attached and a pusher motor at the rear). At one point the
instructor told me to lean out and look down - 2000ft of clear air
between us and the ground. My comment led him to suggest that maybe
microlights were not for me[1].

I did enjoy the 'skimming over the fields at 100ft altitude' bit
though - a very similar rush to riding a bike fast!

But at 2000ft you have plenty of time to recover the flight or
parachute out. At 100 you're dead. In jump planes it's always good
to get over

What is this 'parachute' you speak of? It was a squeeze fitting
me+instructor in the microlight let alone a parachute!

I mean - you are probably dead both ways but at least if you are only
100ft up you have less time to contemplate your fate.

Microlight without a parachute? just plain ****ing stupid. Or is that
plane stupid...

--
Hog
'96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old September 14th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Phil Launchbury wrote:
In article , Hog wrote:
Ace wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:56:43 +0100, fluffycat
wrote:

Nursey wrote:

Thing that surprised me was that modern thinking doesn't seem to be
overly concerned about possible dependency - I've just been
prescribed 60 days worth, although I suggested that we did it in
smaller tablets, so I can reduce it as the pain levels (hopefully)
fall. But it's been as much at my initiation as the medics that
we've reduced from 2*70mg to 2*30mg in the last week. (That's of
"MST" so is equivalent to half that dose of simple morphine).

Well opiates never seemed particularly addictive. Smack is far less
so

And an equally ill-informed statement to your views on Iraq.. Why do
you think opium was banned back in Victorian days? Something to do
with it's addictiveness perchance?

sigh They banned Hash too didn't they.

It may not be a physically addictive as something like nicotine or
cocaine but it certainly is addictive.

I didn't say Not Addictive. I said not particularly so. It takes some
work. Tried much of it have you Phil? smack, raw Opium putty, Temple
Ball??

Old September 14th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Benny" saying
something like:

My brother whilst losing the tail rotor on the jet ranger he was
flying decided to spiral 300 feet to the ground and suffered the same
sort of-ish damage [1]. He was out of work for 6 months, got better
and went back flying without regrets.

Pretty amazing to survive an accident like that. Choppers do not appear
to have safety cells and most impacts are fatal.

Just chatting with him on MSN and he says it was 175 feet, but still high
enough.

Did he have any opportunity to cushion out the fall just before impact,
or did it happen too quickly to do much?
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Old September 14th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:08:54 +0200, Ace wrote:

just a hope that maybe it would have a positive knock-on effect.

You really think I'd take any noticde of anything anyone said on here?

Nope, well maybe Champ who I think you hold in high regard.

Higher than some on here, perhaps, but not that high that I'd
seriously be influenced by anything he said.

relieved

Quite. Can you seriously imagine what'd happen if people went around
taking notice of you?

An awful prospect, I agree.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
Old September 14th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On 14 Sep 2006 11:15:34 GMT, "Cab"
wrote:

Champ wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:52:19 +0200, Ace wrote:

Finally a doctor gets there, maybe 30-40 minutes after the crash,
and I think she gives me some morphine at this point, which helps
the breathing somewhat and dulls the awareness of what's happening.
A helicopter arrives shortly afterwards

You got a ride in a heli? *******.

Either I've been whooshed or summat, but you've never ridden in a heli?

****ing loads of times, ytc.

Old September 14th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:02:46 GMT, Soylent Green
wrote:

Champ wrote:

Having said, that I think 99% of people will, 99% of the time, stay on
the brakes - the mental control and detachment required to realise
what is happening, release the brakes and turn into the corner would
be exceptional, imo.

Ding-a-****ing-ling.

Chuck, is that you?

Old September 14th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:19:30 +0100, Phil Launchbury
wrote:

wrote:

Nursey wrote:

Thing that surprised me was that modern thinking doesn't seem to be
overly concerned about possible dependency - I've just been prescribed
60 days worth, although I suggested that we did it in smaller tablets,
so I can reduce it as the pain levels (hopefully) fall. But it's been
as much at my initiation as the medics that we've reduced from 2*70mg
to 2*30mg in the last week. (That's of "MST" so is equivalent to half
that dose of simple morphine).

Well opiates never seemed particularly addictive. Smack is far less so

And an equally ill-informed statement to your views on Iraq.. Why do
you think opium was banned back in Victorian days? Something to do with
it's addictiveness perchance?

While I think Hog couldn't be wronger about Iraq, I'm not sure I'm
going to side with you here. I mean, homosexuality was illegal under
the Victorians, and that's not particularly addictive at all.

Is it?

Old September 14th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
wessie

Champ wrote in news:4d4jg2psp0kglar6hlbkogb69qkqdlm0lh@
4ax.com:

While I think Hog couldn't be wronger about Iraq, I'm not sure I'm
going to side with you here. I mean, homosexuality was illegal under
the Victorians, and that's not particularly addictive at all.

Is it?

Ask Ron Davies and Mark Oaten...

--
wessie at tesco dot net

BMW R1150GS
Old September 14th 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

wrote:

Champ wrote:

Having said, that I think 99% of people will, 99% of the time, stay on
the brakes - the mental control and detachment required to realise
what is happening, release the brakes and turn into the corner would
be exceptional, imo.

Ding-a-****ing-ling.

Chuck, is that you?

Not berry likely now, is it?
--
-Pip
Old September 14th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
fluffycat

Ace wrote:

On the back of me riding Ginge's ZRX? Was quite a nice day out,
weren't it? Still can't get over being overtaken by a well-ridden
Hardly on one twisy mountain section. I wanted to find the guy and
congratulate him :-) I was actually tempted to blast after him, but
didn't particularly want to lose you off the back.

that's the one. it was very good indeed

you could have given in to temptation - i've been misplaced (waves to
Bonwick) but never lost

--
fluffycat