Helmets on snow?

Old February 10th 14, 09:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default Helmets on snow?

Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow? Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher, but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either; I am pretty conservative...)
Old February 10th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:36:43 -0800 (PST), Toller
wrote this crap:

Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher, but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year
either; I am pretty conservative...)

I think you should leave your helmet with your purse. If you're afraid
you could get hurt you should have clean panties on under your skirt.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 10th 14, 10:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on
essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher,
but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either;
I am pretty conservative...)

Ask Michael Schumacher if he ever wakes up from the coma if a helmet was
useful.
Old February 11th 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/10/14 2:36 PM, Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow? Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher, but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

I think: wear a helmet. Trees and rocks and ice and lift towers and
other stuff is everywhere. Also other skiers.

But what the heck, it's your head.

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either; I am pretty conservative...)

Do you consider this a positive or negative comment?
Old February 11th 14, 01:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Toller wrote:
So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either; I am pretty conservative...)

Often I look at my helmet and wonder where those marks came from. Gates,
lift chair, poles, occasional tree branch and people carrying skis
I watched a skier come into the lift line a tad too fast, bloodied the
nose of a snowscraper when his face hit the dividing plastic sections to
make lines and knocked a few other skiers over.

The other comment I will make is check helmet for proper fit and
lifespan if the internal padding is packed flat the helmet or padding
needs to be replaced.
Helmets should fit properly or you put your self in almost more danger
to hurt your self with the helmet. It should not sit on top of your hair
with two inches clearance before it touches your skull. The chin strap
needs to be snug.

Granted sliding down a icy hill on two boards is crazy but one should at
least take some precautions to protect the brain cell.

A new Ski hill in Ct requires all skiers and snowscrapers to wear
helmets, the road side advert on I91 for that hill shows a skier on the
hill just wearing a hat.
Old February 11th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, February 10, 2014 4:36:43 PM UTC-6, Toller wrote:

So, what do you think?

I think I'd use the old American Motorcyclist Association meme about helmets -- if a helmet costs $200, is your brain worth that much money? Regrettably they did not mention your quality of life if you get a career-ending cranial injury.

After a couple of near-misses on motorcycles, both with and without helmets, I finally went to the dark side and refused to ever ride without a brain-bucket. Nowadays, as often as I still crash when I ski -- I used to say on this group "if you're not falling down you're not skiing hard enough" -- I'll get a helmet the next time I hit the slope. I've never hit my head on the slope hard enough to get an injury, but it's just a matter of time.

Like motorcycle crashes. It's not "if," it's "when." I got my "when" out of the way real early in my motorcycling career ... and only broke nine bones that time. And tthough my helmet really didn't prevent any fractures, that crash still convinced me that helmets were a good idea.

Plus, a ski helmet keeps your head warmer than a stocking cap.
Old February 11th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 02/10/2014 02:36 PM, Toller wrote:

Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on
essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher,
but still unlikely.

My only ski injury in 25 years is a couple of broken ribs when I landed
on my ski binding while rolling 100 feet after skiing across the back of
a snowboard. Unlikely, right?

So, what do you think?

This is the kind of question where nobody will take the not-conservative
position -- "Sure, go ahead and skip the helmet, the odds are in your
favor..."

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either;
I am pretty conservative...)

I wear a helmet on a bicycle or motorcycle (I did a LOT of falling on
the motorcycle), but not while walking, driving or skiing. I didn't do
it while rollerskating either. So far, so good.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Old February 11th 14, 03:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on
essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds
of that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get
near rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher,
but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either;
I am pretty conservative...)

I always wear a helmet. It has protected me more than once from careless skiers
with their poles, or walking with their skis on their shoulders. And other
things. Why would you not wear a helmet?

Old February 11th 14, 04:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Toller wrote:
Around here we ski on ice. I wouldn't consider going out without a
helmet because a fall has a real chance of smashing your head on essentially rock.

But I am going to Colorado in April. Is a helmet necessary on snow?
Sure, it would be nice to have hitting a rock or a tree, but the odds of
that are about the same as getting hit by lightning if I don't get near
rocks or trees. Getting hit by my own skis is somewhat higher, but still unlikely.

So, what do you think?

(I haven't fallen this year, and don't think I did last year either; I am
pretty conservative...)

Short Answer: Bring your helmet.

Long Answer: You are being incredibly neurotic. Planned a vacation. Don't
planned an adventure that will appease your neurosis, it won't be an
enjoyable time. A vacation will have its pluses and minuses.

It is not about falling. Skiing is a always a learning experience, if you
are falling, you are not challenging yourself, and learning from your
mistakes.. Falling should be a part of a lesson, and learning better ski
mechanics, like setting up a turn, learning to ski in different conditions,
and actually liking it...
Old February 11th 14, 04:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

comadrejo wrote:
Toller wrote:
[...]

Absolutely! I fall several times every time I go up. Rarely hard falls, but
often enough to know that a helmet if advisable. By pushing myself enough to
fall, I'm improving my skills every time I'm on the mountain. Getting better is
what makes it fun.

And he's going to be in conditions he's not used to. Guess what - he's probably
going to fall.

For me, it's a matter of piece of mind. :-)