Ski lessons at Lake Tahoe for a 14 year old first time beginner?

Old January 16th 06, 11:29 PM

as wrote:
What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No point in Heavenly for a beginner. Someone suggest Diamond Peak, which
was a good suggestion. Stay in North shore, or even in Reno for Mount Rose.

Some places have good deals for first time skiers, for lesson/rental/lift.

Check out REI for discount lift tickets for Mount Rose as well. At 14,
your kid is past the el-cheapo ticket prices. Bear Valley, Kirkwood, Mt.
Rose, Northstar, Sierra at Tahoe, Squaw Valley and Sugar Bowl have REI
discounts at the Bay Area stores.
Old January 17th 06, 12:11 AM

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
...Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

I call Non sequitur.

Not entirely, but maybe I should have explained. It is a little more
physically demanding that some people realize. There is more to it than
just
standing on a pair of skis and letting gravity do the work. It takes a
lot
of energy to counter gravity and keep yourself under control. I tried
downhill skiing after more than 15 years of cross country skiing. That
taught me some basics about balance, but I always thought that downhill
skiing would be easier..... until I tired it. I had no problem on the
bunny
hill, thanks to Xcountry experience. I had no problem on the beginner
hill. I
set off for an intermediate hill. Half way down that hill for the fourth
time
I thought my thighs were going to explode.

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually twice
the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.

Sorry, but I disagree. Most young people can't afford to ski often because
it's an expensive proposition. I generally ski in the Northeast (Vermont
mostly), and can't agree with your statement that most skiers are in their
twenties or younger. I think all ages are pretty well represented on the
slopes, and seeing a 70-something cutting a nice track is no more unusual
than seeing a 5 year old first timer, or a 25-year old hot rodder.

As for your legs hurting after a few hours, that means you're having trouble
yourself - possibly with technique, possibly your equipment, maybe just
hitting too much rough stuff. Unless the weather turns really awful, I
always ski all day long, and I've been skiing for 45 years. Last year, in
anticipation of my 60th birthday, my wife took me on a two week ski trip to
6 different areas, and we both skied all day for 13 of those days.

It was tiring, yes, but not at all painful. I don't do the big moguls
anymore because that does hurt, but I still like the little ones, and I like
skiing in the glades. I don't think I'm especially fit either, and my knees
bother me just walking down stairs.

Skiing is a joy, and if it's not a joy for you then you should figure out
why. If your legs hurt after a few runs, then something is wrong as I
mentioned before. Downhill is absolutely different than cross-country, and
I suspect you might be trying to translate some of your old technique to a
different sport.

Old January 17th 06, 01:45 AM

k wrote:

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually twice
the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.

Sorry, but I disagree. Most young people can't afford to ski often because
it's an expensive proposition.

Nor can they afford hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars worth of equipment,
or the cost of a nearby chalet or hotel room. Their parents pay.

I generally ski in the Northeast (Vermont
mostly), and can't agree with your statement that most skiers are in their
twenties or younger. I think all ages are pretty well represented on the
slopes, and seeing a 70-something cutting a nice track is no more unusual
than seeing a 5 year old first timer, or a 25-year old hot rodder.

It must be a lot different there. From my experience, the majority are under
30. I won't say that I never say anyone over 70 on the ski hills, only that it
is rare, probably more 5 year olds than over 70 types.

As for your legs hurting after a few hours, that means you're having trouble
yourself - possibly with technique, possibly your equipment, maybe just
hitting too much rough stuff. Unless the weather turns really awful, I
always ski all day long, and I've been skiing for 45 years. Last year, in
anticipation of my 60th birthday, my wife took me on a two week ski trip to
6 different areas, and we both skied all day for 13 of those days.

Great.... and you did say that you have been doing it for 45 years. It does
require some degree of fitness.

Skiing is a joy, and if it's not a joy for you then you should figure out
why. If your legs hurt after a few runs, then something is wrong as I
mentioned before. Downhill is absolutely different than cross-country, and
I suspect you might be trying to translate some of your old technique to a
different sport.

It is indeed different from cross country. With cross country you have to use
the skis and poles to get yourself moving and keep moving. With downhill skiing
you are trying control the forces of gravity.

Old January 17th 06, 04:04 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
as wrote:

What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

I have not been to that ski resort but have been to others. When it comes
to prices for ski vacations, the sky is the limit. I certainly don't
recommend outfitting the whole family with skis, boots and the works
before finding out if it is for you. Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

Absolutely untrue. There are plenty of grand parents on the slopes.
On skis mostly, not snowboards.

You are looking at some serious costs if you use daily rentals and lift
tickets. I have not skied for a couple years and prices vary, but I can
tell you that the ski resorts around here charge up to $45 per day for
lift tickets. There are morning only, morning and afternoon, afternoon,
afternoon and evening or evening only tickets. Night is usually the
cheapest, and personally, I always liked night skiing best. Afternoon
tends to be the busiest, and you spend a lot more time in line at the
lifts.
Then there is the cost of ski rental, usually about half as much as the
lift ticket, but that varies form place to place.

Your best bet is to look for some sort of combination package. The resorts
often have good deals on rentals and lift tickets. It is always much
cheaper to get a multi day pass, so long as you get out there and use it.
You may pay a premium for a room in the hotel at the base of the mountain,
but the savings on rental and lift tickets may make it worth while.

Be advised that skiing is exercise, and is especially demanding on the
legs. You will discover some muscles in the back of your legs you never
knew that you had before. You may only want to ski a few hours a day, and
after 4-5 hours of skiing you will be looking forward to the hot tub back
at the hotel.

Old January 17th 06, 04:43 AM

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
k wrote:

[...]

I am 62 and wife is 63. We ski Tahoe and we do not feel old, and see lots
of people near our age and older sking. More of the younger are in to snow
boards. My older daughter boards, and the younger skis. I like Heavenly.
They have some deals for first time skiers, lesson and equipment at a really
good price. At least last year. Check out Heavenly's website. It may also
be at Sierra at Tahoe. Sierra at Tahoe is farther from South Shore.
Heavenly has some really nice open bowls to ski.

Old January 17th 06, 05:13 AM

"as" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

Thank you,
AS

Whatever resort you choose, your 14 year old will be fine with either all
day group lessons (affordable) or all day private lesson ($teep). Just meet
up for lunch and apres ski.

Old January 17th 06, 06:22 PM

Dave Smith wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

[...]

"Ski Resorts Catering More to Boomers"
(http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbc.../512300329/0/0)

"But the average age of skiers is creeping up steadily every year with
some of the sport's fastest growth in the 45 and older demographic."
"The percentage of overall skiers 45 or older had climbed from 21
percent to 31 percent between 1997 and 2004, NSAA reported."

-----------------

I am 47 and just finished skiing a day with a bunch of high school
friends of mine. I no longer do the marathon 10 hour ski days I used to
do when I was in my 20s, but I can still usually handle 5 1/2 or 6 hours
of ski time on a good day. I walk regularly and work out occasionally,
but I don't consider myself in great shape.

Most of the younger crowd (my daughter and her friends) seem to go more
for snowboarding than skiing, though. That might partially account for
the growth of skiing among older folks, as the younger demographic moves
towards a different snow sport. I haven't noticed any decrease in the
crowds at the ski areas I go to, so I think that the resorts are still
attracting as many people purchasing lift tickets as ever, and the ski
resorts seem to keep expanding and adding lifts.

Old January 18th 06, 12:55 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Bad technique; Leaning back stresses the quads. Get forward over the skis.

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually twice the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.

Skiing is ageless. You can do it till you get your ticket punched for
PerfectPowderParadise.

I'm sorry you have difficulty keeping up. Perhaps if you followed
Margaret's boyfriend? He's about 90 and slowing a bit - mostly stays on
the groomed these days which should help you as well. Many of the
geezers around here would wipe the slope with you, on and off piste.
Some of the geezers would wipe the slope with me. (And for some other
folk, I AM the geezer wiping their slope. grin)

BTW, if we wish to continue, this discussion should be moved to
rec.skiing.alpine; it doesn't belong in the resorts groups.
Old January 18th 06, 05:00 AM

lal_truckee wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
...Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the
oldest people on the hill.
I call Non sequitur.

Not entirely, but maybe I should have explained. It is a little more
physically demanding that some people realize. There is more to it
than just standing on a pair of skis and letting gravity do the
work.

Many beginners aren't prepared for the fact that skiing is a SPORT. They
seem to expect that you just kind-of get on, buy your ticket, and it just
happens.
They aren't ready to sweat, and make their bodies move, and use a bit of
muscle.

It takes a lot of energy to counter gravity and keep yourself
under control. I tried downhill skiing after more than 15 years of
cross country skiing. That taught me some basics about balance, but
I always thought that downhill skiing would be easier..... until I
tired it. I had no problem on the bunny hill, thanks to Xcountry
experience. I had no problem on the beginner hill. I set off for an
intermediate hill. Half way down that hill for the fourth time I
thought my thighs were going to explode.

I think downhill is easier than XC. However! XC is more approachable without
lessons. In downhill, not having lessons means a lot of hard work, and
usually a nice collection of counter-productive habits. Like sitting back,
leading to sore quads. As soon as someone starts up about how sore their
thighs are, you know pretty much how they ski.

Bad technique; Leaning back stresses the quads. Get forward over the
skis.

Just stand up. Stand on your feet.

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually
twice the age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into
people my age or older. I attribute that to the physical demands.
There aren't that many people over 30 who are in condition to even
tackle the slopes, and those older people who do try it do only a
few runs. Kids have a lot more energy and can easily spend a whole
day on the slopes.

Nonsense! skiing is a great sport for older people, because primarily it's
about balance. Sure, you can use muscles and things if you want to, or want
to "go hard", but I've taught heaps of older people, mainly women. And they
find it very easy.

You probably didn't see many 40+ year olds because they were out on the
mountain proper, not stuffing around on the bunny hill.

--
ant

Old January 18th 06, 03:04 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

[...]

Hello,
Eastern geezer here...

I keep running into a group of mid-week skiers at Pico (one
of our local mountains). The seem pretty good and I tend to
hook up with people who ski well. I hooked up with LAL when
I was in the Tahoe area. Good skier, pretty much tireless until
he has his first Urqel.

He wipes up my slope in Sierra Cement. I kind of suspect I'd
wipe his on EasternFirm(tm). I'd like the opportunity to try.
He has the invitation but he seldom gets further east than
Salt Lake.

Anyway back to the Pico group. They all dress in the usual way.
Helmets, goggles, neck gaiters, etc. You can't see much of
their faces. The first time I hooked up, we had a grand old
time. Good conversation and good skiing. Then someone clued
me in as to who they were. Each and every one of the group
has at least 20 years on me and I'm 63.

Now, Dave,
take a few lessons and get out there and ski.

Next go-around we should snip RSRNA and RTUC and leave
it only in RSA.

VtSkier