Sweatin' to the Oldies - BOSE Style.

Old January 18th 05, 10:31 PM
Jay Levitt

In article ,
says...
So then, do you think it's possible to obtain a comparable (or better)
system at say, half the price?

Try checking into SLS Loudspeakers. I have them in my home studio.
They're very detailed and accurate, not too harsh, and interestingly
enough they were originally sold as home theatre speakers before they
branched into pro audio.
http://www.slsloudspeakers.com.

Other pro audio speakers that people love: ADAMM, Event 20/20, Mackie
HR824. In the home audio world, try Boston Acoustic or B&W.

Stay away from fancy Monster Cable speaker cable (or more expensive!) or
interconnects; to the extent that they do anything to the sound, they
just add coloration, which by definition makes them less accurate. But
for the most part, nobody's been able to hear a difference between them
and zip cord in double-blind tests... but now we're entering into a
whole subjective/objective controversy.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Old January 18th 05, 11:06 PM
miles

Jay Pique wrote:

The research is done, and the results are in. The "Bose® Lifestyle®
38 DVD home theater system with uMusic™" is the home theater system
for me. Sure, the price isn't "low", but for $2999, you absolutely
can't beat the ease of use - and the sound quality is the best made
today, from what I've heard.

Bose is a majorly overhyped overpriced over advertised system. Bose
sets their prices and authorized resellers can't undercut Bose set
pricing. There are too many other high quality systems that will sound
far better for far less. For movies the Bose system is ok but not
great. For playing music on it the Bose system is horrible.
Old January 18th 05, 11:44 PM
JvD

"Jon C" wrote
THX doesn't necessarily mean anything, BTW.

Agreed. It's basically a "seal of approval" by George Lucas.

Old January 19th 05, 12:37 AM
Walt

snoig wrote:

For audio, I tend to go with professional audio gear. Companies like Mackie
come to mind. I figure if it's good enough for musicians to record with
then it's fine for playback.

Pro gear doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good. I've encountered
more than my fair share of truly awful sounding pro gear. (Peavy stil
in business?)

Remember that the kitchen equipment at McDonalds is "professional
kitchen equipment".

--
// Walt
//

Old January 19th 05, 01:39 AM
Jay Pique

"JvD" wrote:

"Jon C" wrote
THX doesn't necessarily mean anything, BTW.

Agreed. It's basically a "seal of approval" by George Lucas.

Really? I thought it was some sort of enhanced audio thingy...

J{
Old January 19th 05, 02:07 AM
Walt

Jay Pique wrote:
"JvD" wrote:
"Jon C" wrote

THX doesn't necessarily mean anything, BTW.

Agreed. It's basically a "seal of approval" by George Lucas.

Really? I thought it was some sort of enhanced audio thingy...

Really. If you're an audio manufacturer, you can pay a licensing fee
to Lucas and in return you get to display the THX logo on your
products. Presumably, Lucas doesn't license strive junk, but there
are plenty of companies who make perfectly good audio components that
don't see the need to buy the logo.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

--
// Walt
//

Old January 19th 05, 02:21 AM
Jon C

Jay Pique wrote:
"JvD" wrote:

"Jon C" wrote

THX doesn't necessarily mean anything, BTW.

Agreed. It's basically a "seal of approval" by George Lucas.

Really? I thought it was some sort of enhanced audio thingy...

J{

No. It's a "seal of approval" as opposed to some actual technology or
standard... and has little to do with actual performance.
Old January 19th 05, 03:12 AM
TCS

I blew a speaker last summer while hosting a deck party
and getting a little carried away when ripple came on.

Ripple? as in wine?

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Springs - Gateway to Colorado Ski Country
Old January 19th 05, 03:21 AM
TCS

Bose is sort of like Oreck. Lots of advertising but their products cost 3
times as much as comparable quality items.

But neither is as bad as the "Ionic Breeze" (air purifier) from Sharper Image.
Consumers Union tested them and concluded that they didn't work badly, they
just didn't work at all!

Old January 19th 05, 06:38 AM
Richard Henry

"Walt" wrote in message
snoig wrote:

For audio, I tend to go with professional audio gear. Companies like

Mackie
come to mind. I figure if it's good enough for musicians to record with
then it's fine for playback.

Pro gear doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good. I've encountered
more than my fair share of truly awful sounding pro gear. (Peavy stil
in business?)

Remember that the kitchen equipment at McDonalds is "professional
kitchen equipment".

And I'm pretty sure they use the professional model C compilers at M$.