Craziest Bravado story

Old January 16th 05, 10:10 PM
Walt

Default Craziest Bravado story

Tinkerntom wrote:

Winter time being a great time for story telling, and having been
involved in some story telling on another thread, I thought I would try
moving in to its own topic. I know there are some good stories and
story tellers out there, and we're all ready for a good laugh or sigh.

It's a story all right. As in "Tall Tale."

There is no such thing as a "Triple Black Diamond" at Keystone or
anywhere else in Colorado. It's sort of like telling a story about a
class nine rapid.

Anyway, I'll let you finish:

The funniest situation I ever saw of bravado, and only funny because it
turned out ok was regarding a skier here in Colorado.

I was skiing at Keystone in the Out Back, when I came across a young
man maybe in his 20s, in T-shirt and jeans. He had no jacket, gloves or
hat. He had rented skis that day, and without lessons, set out on his
own to learn to ski. He figured that if he went to the highest lift,
and found the steepest run, that by the time he got to the bottom, he
would know how to ski.

I passed him probably 15 times on the Triple Black Diamond, and offered
help each time. I saw others also offer assistance, and with the same
result -refused, he was going to teach himself. Someone apparently
notified the SkiPatrol eventually, though they were not able to do
anything as long as he did not consent to their help.

At the end of the day they were sweeping the runs, and just in time,
because they found him hypothermic and disorientated. This time they
did not need his consent, as I saw them bundle him shaking onto the
sled. I heard later that he had survived.

The part that was funny, was I remember seeing him going down the mtn,
head over heels, skis going every which way. Like they say "Yardsale!"
Then he would have to scramble through the snow to get his gear
altogether, strapped back on, go five feet and start all over again. A
moving living Disastor zone.

Sorry about the OT story, but I have not been kayaking long enough to
have my own kayaking story, so I look forward to yours. TnT

--
// Walt
//

Old January 20th 05, 04:32 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message
Tinkerntom wrote:

Winter time being a great time for story telling, and having been
involved in some story telling on another thread, I thought I would try
moving in to its own topic. I know there are some good stories and
story tellers out there, and we're all ready for a good laugh or sigh.

It's a story all right. As in "Tall Tale."

There is no such thing as a "Triple Black Diamond" at Keystone or anywhere
else in Colorado. It's sort of like telling a story about a class nine
rapid.

I'd like to know how the subject of the story got to the Outback if he
couldn't ski, as it's the third mountain back from the front, and you have
to do quite a bit of skiing to get there. And there's no triple black
diamonds there! At all. Just some greyish blackish ones.

ant

Old January 20th 05, 05:35 AM
Tinkerntom

I think I acknowledged that my memory may be fuzzy as to it being the
OutBack, and that it may have been a green run for that matter. That's
what happens when you get older, too many stories, and they get all
mixed up together. However the basic story was correct, so I apologize
to you and all, if you had trouble connecting the dots in my story. TnT