Din setting and age question

Old January 13th 05, 11:20 PM

VtSkier wrote:
Who is your server? A lot of us use news.individual.net which
was formerly know as news.cs.de and the server is located in
Germany and I've never know it to be down. It also has the
moderated version of RSA which, I understand, a lot of other
servers don't carry.

VtSkier

I was using the aol newsgroup server which has been reliable. I use
google for RSA-moderated which is why I tried it for RSA today. I could
tell something was wrong when I didn't see my original post but saw a
reply. Makes me wonder how many other posts I missed.
I will give news.individual.net a look. Thanks,

Fred

Old January 14th 05, 12:42 AM

Walt wrote:

It's your call. While your bones become more brittle with age, it's

not
like they change all at once the day you turn 50, so using your
previous din settings is not out of the question. And assuming that
everything else was done correctly, adjusting the DIN a point or so
shouldn't affect performance (other than the obvious fact that it'll
take more torque to release the binding.)

BTW, I'd do it the opposite way - try some hits where you're unlikely

get hurt if you lose a ski due to premature release and see what
happens. If they stay on to your liking, leave 'em at 7. If they

come
off when you think they shouldn't, bump 'em up a notch. I'm not a

fan
of the crank-em-up-til-something-breaks approach.

Personally, I just take what the chart says and don't claim to be a

more
advanced skier than I am. But sticking with your pre-50 DIN setting

for
a few more seasons doesn't sound unreasonable.

I will probably go to 7.5 or 8.0 and then make some test hits. I am a
little gun shy about an easy release. Two years ago I demoed some skis
and twice during the first run popped one ski on nothing that hard. The
falls were unexpected and not nice. I went straight to a lift and
cranked that binding up and went back to the shop and turned them in. I
am getting older but, as you say, the bones don't change all at once.
You wouldn't think the settings for age 50 should be the same as age
70.

Fred

Old January 14th 05, 04:42 PM
F. Plant

"FHemmer209" wrote in message
I turned 50 this year and my din setting was changed from 8.5 to 7.0 when

took my skis in for their tune and binding torque test. The tech lowered

the
din setting because of my turning 50 which I verified as being correct

based on
the charts. I am in pretty good shape with strong legs and I wonder what

the
impact of the setting change will have on an unwanted release. I am

tempted to
crank them up a bit. Any thoughts?

Fred

First, have you changed to boots with a different sole length? Second IMO
if you intend on playing with your DIN setting you may also want to consider
that the chart gives a number which represents a range of release torque,
which is based on a range of sole length, weight, height, skier type
(aggressiveness/speed), and age (bone density). Take a look at where you
fall in these ranges and their impact on the overall din setting. For
example my boots put me into a different din setting by 1mm but it would
take 20mm more to move me to the next setting. IMO its all a bit fuzzy, but
the manufacturers opinion is the only one to count if you want to be
indemnified.

F. Plant

Old January 15th 05, 02:46 AM

F. Plant wrote:

First, have you changed to boots with a different sole length?

Same boots. Only change was my birthday.

Second IMO
if you intend on playing with your DIN setting you may also want to

consider
that the chart gives a number which represents a range of release

torque,
which is based on a range of sole length, weight, height, skier type
(aggressiveness/speed), and age (bone density). Take a look at where

you
fall in these ranges and their impact on the overall din setting.

For
example my boots put me into a different din setting by 1mm but it

would
take 20mm more to move me to the next setting.

Good point. If my boots were 1mm longer my calculated din setting would
drop by .25. So it would be a 6.75 setting for age 50 and 8.25 for age
49. I am leaning towards a 7.5 start. Thanks,

Fred

Old January 17th 05, 10:42 PM
Bob

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

BTW, often releases are the result of bad technique applying lateral
forces to the binding. Generally, good technique imposes forces
perpendicular to the foot sole directly into the snow through the ski,
imposing NO release forces no matter how intense the skiers skis or
difficulty of the terrain.

I know because I can trace many of my releases over the years to sloppy
ski technique.

I have operated for many years on the opinion that if my ski comes off, I am
skiing wrong. I always set them so that I can twist out of them to take them
off without pain. I figure this also gives me a frequent test of their
release. The "suggested" settings are way stiffer than I use. I really want
to be sure those skis will come off if I need them to. My only real skiing
related injury in 40 or so years was a joint inflammation of my little
finger cause by pole handles with a lip below the finger.

I don't need poles to release MY bindings.

YMMV

Bob

Old January 22nd 05, 05:22 AM
ant

wrote in message I will probably go to 7.5 or 8.0 and
then make some test hits. I am a
little gun shy about an easy release. Two years ago I demoed some skis
and twice during the first run popped one ski on nothing that hard. The
falls were unexpected and not nice. I went straight to a lift and
cranked that binding up and went back to the shop and turned them in. I
am getting older but, as you say, the bones don't change all at once.
You wouldn't think the settings for age 50 should be the same as age
70.

Give your feet a twist. I have horrible knees, but the foot twist test is
quite reliable. you should be able to twist out of the toe piece, usually
after feeling some healthy resistance.

ant

Old January 22nd 05, 02:28 PM

ant wrote:
[...]

I kept the 7.0 for two days. But day three the sun was out and the
speed increased and I found myself tentative about hitting something
hard and releasing at a high speed. I took them up to 8.0 and felt more
confident.
But I haven't fallen or released at either setting so I don't have a
reason to support what I did. But increased confidence made me feel
more comfortable.

Fred