Breck approves summit chairlift.

Old October 28th 04, 04:30 PM
snoig

Default Breck approves summit chairlift.

http://summitdaily.com/article/20041026/NEWS/110260032

Part of the upgrade is to make 6 chair into a quad. Now the back side
of Peak 8 can get skied off in 10 minutes.

snoig
Old October 28th 04, 06:11 PM
lal_truckee

snoig wrote:
http://summitdaily.com/article/20041026/NEWS/110260032

That figures. Always bad news somewhere.

FWIW, I thought the hike out of the t-bar was the best thing about
Breck. Gave the place a little charm.

(I do have to admit Mike wasn't around to show me to the best stuff, so
my opinion might be different with the proper guide.)
Old October 29th 04, 01:57 AM
TCS

Part of the upgrade is to make 6 chair into a quad. Now the back side
of Peak 8 can get skied off in 10 minutes

I wouldn't think so. There are a large number of runs there. And they don't
seem very popular.

Of course, that's your point - maybe they will become popular.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland is open!
Old October 29th 04, 12:46 PM
snoig

lal_truckee wrote in message ...
snoig wrote:
http://summitdaily.com/article/20041026/NEWS/110260032

That figures. Always bad news somewhere.

FWIW, I thought the hike out of the t-bar was the best thing about
Breck. Gave the place a little charm.

(I do have to admit Mike wasn't around to show me to the best stuff, so
my opinion might be different with the proper guide.)

We'll see what happens. People will bitch about it but the day it
opens, I'll probably have more runs from the top of Peak 8 then I've
done in the last three years.

There's plenty of good hiking left at Breck though. I've always
preferred the stuff off Peak 10 where you are guranteed freshies.

snoig
Old October 29th 04, 01:35 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

snoig wrote:

We'll see what happens. People will bitch about it but the day it
opens, I'll probably have more runs from the top of Peak 8 then I've
done in the last three years.

Same here. I do see that you will still have to hike up the last pitch
to get to the chutes, which will slow down some folks. I noticed that
"approval" was only city council concurrence, not forest service lift
approval.

There's plenty of good hiking left at Breck though. I've always
preferred the stuff off Peak 10 where you are guranteed freshies.

Illegal access? We used to hike above the Peak 10 chair until they
closed the gates up high. There are some great lines out there. I still
see tracks and asked the patrol about it once. He said, "Yah, it's
illegal. whisper but there's usually a path under the ropes around the
corner /whisper". But, I find enough good stuff without cutting ropes:

http://breckenridge.snow.com/mtn.gal...?image_id=2491
http://breckenridge.snow.com/mtn.gal...?image_id=2489

Would like to exchange notes with your sometime (and maybe shoot some
pics).

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old October 29th 04, 09:11 PM
snoig

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in message ...
snoig wrote:

[...]

You don't have to cut ropes.

1 - Hike up Lemans
2 - Hike up south side from where the rope ends
3 - Hike out of the windows gate. Do Paradise Bowl

All perfectly legal.

It really does suck that they closed the two gates on the top of 10.

snoig
Old October 29th 04, 11:15 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

snoig wrote:

You don't have to cut ropes.

1 - Hike up XXXXXX
2 - Hike up XXXXX side from where the rope ends
3 - Hike out of the windows gate. Do XXXXXXXXX Bowl

I do not know that name but have used that gate to ski the south side of
Peak -9- under the cornice run there (no more vertical from the gate). I
have eyed going higher to get over to 10 but that looks like a poor return
on investment and a pain. I am up for giving it a try, though. 8J

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)

Old October 30th 04, 05:09 PM
snoig

snoig wrote:

You don't have to cut ropes.

1 - Hike up XXXXXX
2 - Hike up XXXXX side from where the rope ends
3 - Hike out of the windows gate. Do XXXXXXXXX Bowl

I do not know that name but have used that gate to ski the south side of
Peak -9- under the cornice run there (no more vertical from the gate). I
have eyed going higher to get over to 10 but that looks like a poor return
on investment and a pain. I am up for giving it a try, though. 8J

Mike...

It's actually not to bad a hike once you get above Billy's Bowl. It's
pretty flat and windblown up there so you can make good time.

snoig
Old October 31st 04, 01:20 AM
TCS

Haven't been to Breck in awhile have you? I'm mainly talking about
the six chair runs. On a good day right now, that terrian is skied
off in about half an hour. Do you ever get out and ski? Or just talk
about it?

Now, now, let's be friendly.

I WAS referring to the chair six runs. There are a lot of them and when I pass
thru that terrain there is hardly anyone riding the lift or on the runs.

Of course that doesn't preclude the possibility of all the new snow being skied
off very early - before I arrive at that particular terrain.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland is open!