getting used to new boots

Old December 28th 04, 09:58 PM
F. Plant

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Does anyone have any advice on what to do to get used to new boots?

I tried them out for the first time yesterday, at Beaver Creek. Eric was

in a
mogul mood (as per usual), so that's most of what we did. Ripsaw was the
best; it doesn't get much sun, so the snow was still nice.

It seems that my new boots, which are designed for "expert" rather than
"intermediate" skiers, are much more demanding. In my old boots, leaning

back
definitely hurt my technique, but in these new boots, shin-to-tongue

contact
is an absolute must. I never thought I'd notice the difference so

readily,
but there it is. If I'm not aggressively positioned, I have no control.

figure this is a good thing, in the long run, as it will force me into

good
habits, but right now it's still disconcerting.

snip

Congrats on the new boots. Regarding getting used to new boots, something
you can try is skiing unbuckled on some groomers doing some big turns. This
will really help find your balance point for your new stance (as they sound
like they have much more forward lean). This is also a good way to get a
feel for the 'slight' fore aft weight change from the ball to the heel as
you go thru the turn. As your comfort level increases increase difficulty of
terrain.

Regarding the bumps, I'm not great but I like to try so take this with a
grain of salt. As you said its time to learn new habits, and I think that
is about the only solution. You may be finding that you can't extend as
vertically due to the aggressive lean w/o pushing the backs of the boots.
By the same token you may be limited by the stiffness of the forward flex.
End result is less movement to absorb the bump unless you ski more
aggressively to flex the boot, and project yourself more forward down the
fall line when extending -allows for good extension as only your ankle is
bent and it will help keep you out of the back seat as well. If you get
more aggressive with your forward projection you will find you also have to
get your pole plant going sooner, and if you do that you have to start
looking a bit further down the run. The farther ahead you look again the
less likely you will be in the backseat.

BTW in deeper hard bumps I tend to unhook my top buckle and just rely on the
powerstrap so I get more ankle flex. My strap secures me to the inside and
back of my shell quite well though so YMMV. I also ski a race boot but with
a relatively vertical stance and set as soft as it can go w/o cutting it.
You may find a bit of dremel work on the shell might tune stance and flex
more to your liking, but hold off for a while.

Also before going nuts in the bumps also try lots of quick short radius
turns with lots of extension and compression on a groomed run -increase the
steepness as per your comfort level then the bumps won't be as much of a
shock to your rhythm.

Hope this helps, have fun
F. Plant