Honest snow reports for Keystone and Breck

Old December 15th 03, 08:06 PM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:

I think that all the other stuff they added brought more people. Which
in turn became part of the problem. More people != quality. Silverton
is proving you can focus on the ski experience and make a go of it. But
it will take several years for other places to figure this one out.
Especially the publicly traded places, which are relying on real estate
sales to boost numbers.

Chester:
Also in yesterdays "Post" was the I-70 write up. It wouldn't suprise
me that many out of state visitors get a little sick of the I-70
parking lot. I guess it wouldn't hurt if a few out of staters
would drop their opinion here I-70.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber

Old December 15th 03, 08:18 PM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

I think that all the other stuff they added brought more people. Which
in turn became part of the problem. More people != quality. Silverton
is proving you can focus on the ski experience and make a go of it. But
it will take several years for other places to figure this one out.
Especially the publicly traded places, which are relying on real estate
sales to boost numbers.

Chester:
Also in yesterdays "Post" was the I-70 write up. It wouldn't suprise
me that many out of state visitors get a little sick of the I-70
parking lot. I guess it wouldn't hurt if a few out of staters
would drop their opinion here I-70.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber

I am not sure to what degree out-of-staters are impacted by the parking
lot that is I-70. I'd be curious to find that one out. Sadly, we are
many, many years away from a solution to that problem.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 15th 03, 08:19 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 20:06 GMT, Sam Seiber penned:

Chester: Also in yesterdays "Post" was the I-70 write up. It wouldn't
suprise me that many out of state visitors get a little sick of the
I-70 parking lot. I guess it wouldn't hurt if a few out of staters
would drop their opinion here I-70.

Do you have to be from out of state to hate I-70 gridlock?

--
monique

Old December 15th 03, 08:21 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

I never understood all this resort hoopla. I'm there for the snow. If
I've done it right, I'm too tired to go to a bar, dress up for a fancy
meal, etc. Just crash early so that I'm ready for the next day ...

It's about the destination skiers. The resorts started pricing locals
out of the market with expensive tickets and passes and food. So the
focus became even more heavy on the destination skier, the pot of gold
at the end of the ski resort marketing rainbow.

Old December 15th 03, 08:40 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 20:06 GMT, Sam Seiber penned:

Chester: Also in yesterdays "Post" was the I-70 write up. It wouldn't
suprise me that many out of state visitors get a little sick of the
I-70 parking lot. I guess it wouldn't hurt if a few out of staters
would drop their opinion here I-70.

Do you have to be from out of state to hate I-70 gridlock?

Speaking as a native - NO!

Old December 15th 03, 08:43 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 20:21 GMT, Chester Bullock penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

It's about the destination skiers. The resorts started pricing locals
out of the market with expensive tickets and passes and food. So the
focus became even more heavy on the destination skier, the pot of gold
at the end of the ski resort marketing rainbow.

That seems backwards to me. If I can go skiing in amazing snow every
weekend, I *might* think about doing something social. If I'm on my
once-a-year ski vacation, there's no *way* I'm going to waste any time
with non-skiing crap.

Maybe I'm just weird.

--
monique

Old December 15th 03, 09:11 PM
Sam Seiber

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Do you have to be from out of state to hate I-70 gridlock?

No. Actually us Front Range residents get to hate it more because
we attempt to _drive_(1) it more. I am just wondering if it has some
impact
on return out of state visitors. Us FR's will put up with it as we are
trying to get our average daily cost of a few hundered dollar pass to
less
than $20 per day.

(1) Drive vs. fine parking with a great view.

Sam "Loveland, Thursday, be there! (Its my birthday (47))" Seiber

Old December 15th 03, 09:12 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Monique Y. Herman wrote:
If I've done it right, I'm too tired to go to a bar, dress up for a fancy
meal, etc.

That doesn't mean you're doing it right. That means you're not doing
it enough.

-klaus

Old December 15th 03, 09:44 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 21:12 GMT, klaus penned:
In rec.skiing.alpine Monique Y. Herman wrote:
If I've done it right, I'm too tired to go to a bar, dress up for a
fancy meal, etc.

That doesn't mean you're doing it right. That means you're not doing
it enough.

-klaus

Interesting point. But I'd think that, in any sport, you could *always*
put in a little more effort. So, as your skill level rises and your
muscles adapt, you should be able to do more and more ... which will
still get you exhausted =)

I guess the level of effort that some people would have to apply to get
themselves all tuckered out might no longer be fun to them, though.

--
monique

Old December 15th 03, 10:26 PM
klaus

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 21:12 GMT, klaus penned:
That doesn't mean you're doing it right. That means you're not doing
it enough.

-klaus

Interesting point. But I'd think that, in any sport, you could *always*
put in a little more effort. So, as your skill level rises and your
muscles adapt, you should be able to do more and more ... which will
still get you exhausted =)

I guess the level of effort that some people would have to apply to get
themselves all tuckered out might no longer be fun to them, though.

Exactly. I think most get to a point where they pick and choose when
and where they ski more carefully if they do it a lot. There's just
no reason to ski a lot of days. And many days, conditions change, so
you choose quality over quantity. And then go hit the bar. And if a
ski area restaurant makes you dress up, they aren't worth going to.

-klaus