Skis with concave bases

Old February 11th 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Default Skis with concave bases

On Feb 10, 10:57*am, pigo wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:58*am, Evojeesus wrote:

On Feb 10, 4:48*pm, pigo wrote:

On Feb 10, 2:56*am, Evojeesus wrote:

This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...-patent-pendin...

We called that high edges. A grinder fixed it.

Oops convex bases, not concave! Crazy-looking things anyway.

That makes a little more sense. But we called those beveled edges.

WE? Who is we? Other ignorant dumb****s who don't bother to read a
web site before they start talking ****?
Old February 11th 11, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Feb 10, 2:51*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/10/11 01:56, Evojeesus wrote:

This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...-patent-pendin...
http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

I don't know about sick, but they're sure ugly.

I know about sick and ugly. I call that Bev Ashley
Old February 11th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/11 1:56 AM, Evojeesus wrote:
This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...eat-technology

http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

Used them first time I skied in 1973!

I tried to turn on bumps carved with them on my kneisel red stars 210's in 1973
when I first moved to Seattle. Stupid skis would be on 2 bumps at once.

Old February 11th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/10/2011 7:10 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/11 1:56 AM, Evojeesus wrote:
This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...eat-technology

http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

Right. But some innovations are. Metal edges. Sintered bases. Plastic
boots replacing leather. Composite construction that allows skis to be
torsionally stiff and longitudinally soft. Shorter skis with more
sidecut. Releasable bindings. The DIN scale.

Is rocker a keeper? I don't know for sure, but I can say that turned up
tips have been around as long as skis have been around (a millenia or
so). The designers are now playing around with what geometry of tip
rise is optimal and like anything else they're going to have to go too
far to determine what's optimal. My hunch is that early rise and wide
skis are here to stay, at least for skis that are designed for soft snow
- the question is how wide and how much rocker and my further hunch is
that it'll be dialed back as we understand how much is too much.

Right now everybody is falling all over everyone else to make/buy a ski
that has more rocker and is wider than anyone else. Have fun, guys.

//Walt

Old February 11th 11, 05:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/10/11 7:38 PM, Bob F wrote:
downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/11 1:56 AM, Evojeesus wrote:
This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...eat-technology

http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

Used them first time I skied in 1973!

I tried to turn on bumps carved with them on my kneisel red stars 210's in 1973
when I first moved to Seattle. Stupid skis would be on 2 bumps at once.

Remember "No Skis Less Than 200cm" signs at the top of mogul slopes?
Old February 11th 11, 11:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/11/2011 1:25 AM, lal_truckee wrote:

Remember "No Skis Less Than 200cm" signs at the top of mogul slopes?

Nope, those were before my time.

But I do remember the "No skis in the half-pipe" signs.

//Walt
Old February 11th 11, 11:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Feb 11, 4:58*am, Walt wrote:

Is rocker a keeper? *I don't know for sure, but I can say that turned up
tips have been around as long as skis have been around (a millenia or
so). *

Rocker tip absolutely yes. Not sure about the tail yet.

Old February 11th 11, 01:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 10, 5:10*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

But they're back, aren't they?

Old February 11th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Feb 10, 7:38*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/11 1:56 AM, Evojeesus wrote:
This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...-patent-pendin....

http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

Used them first time I skied in 1973!

I tried to turn on bumps carved with them on my kneisel red stars 210's in 1973
when I first moved to Seattle. Stupid skis would be on 2 bumps at once.

So what is the difference between 1973 and now, when dumb****
snowboarders like you are sliding down the bumps sideways....not to
mention that people are skiing even shorter skis nowadays, and the
bumps look like zits on your dumb**** ass?